Gibson Brands Forums

Awww...damn

flyingfrets

Hi all,

Still in the hospital. Waiting for results of the full spine MRI. Looking for other fractures. The one I'm aware of is right at my body's center of balance (L4 - L5), so no matter which way I lean or turn there's pain. They're trying to figure out whether to discharge me to physical/occupational therapy or directly back home. Either way, have to finish radiation on the lower spine before I can proceed with anything else. May need it in the upper spine as well depending on the MRI, and they are aware of an uptake in the left hip socket, so we'll see.

Baby steps I guess. One foot in front of the other will hopefully take me where I want to be. Which right now would be sitting on my back deck with my son & nephew just rocking' some acoustic.

Medicated & bored...superlative combination - NOT...bleahhh....

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Don...

All my best wishes too.

I do think that positive attitude is important whether through faith or whatever avenue. It seems that can literally make changes in one's body chemistry. That's what has worked throughout recorded history.

But regardless, it's a time too to see our battles are part of our mortal condition where our role may be less for ourselves as for others. It ain't emotionally easy - but it forces us to see life and our place in it more clearly.

If we ain't scared when the reaper - or worse - seems nearby, we'd be insane. But in ways, perhaps we also can be more realistic about the human condition and value what makes us human than those without the experience.

None of it is easy; I guarantee projection of good vibes, prayer, however each of us sees it, is en route from many of us here...

m

After everything you've just been through my friend, I really appreciate you taking the time to reach out. Means a lot. As do all the IMs and messages from everyone, and I will get to them as I'm able. Kinda blitzed from the narcotics right now though.

Shouldn't getting older come with a warning label?!!?

Don...

We are the warning label of aging and some of the obstacles life can throw at any one of us regardless of age.

Then too, in a way we're also in the sometimes uncomfortable position of setting example for others, younger and older, who may also find themselves in similar situations.

I'll add that frankly I find your grace in your situation rather more exemplary than my own. I may have residual fear of worse, and frustration about my picking skills, but I don't physically hurt.

In either of our circumstances, I pray literally that our circumstances might offer information to others that where we are, they might soon be, and to treasure their gifts and responsibilities of each day.

All my best...

m

...One foot in front of the other will hopefully take me where I want to be. Which right now would be sitting on my back deck with my son & nephew just rocking' some acoustic...

That's a great aim to have, Don.

My very best to you and for the best outcome from the results.

P.

1437842016[/url]' post='1679162']

Hi all,

Still in the hospital. Waiting for results of the full spine MRI. Looking for other fractures. The one I'm aware of is right at my body's center of balance (L4 - L5), so no matter which way I lean or turn there's pain. They're trying to figure out whether to discharge me to physical/occupational therapy or directly back home. Either way, have to finish radiation on the lower spine before I can proceed with anything else. May need it in the upper spine as well depending on the MRI, and they are aware of an uptake in the left hip socket, so we'll see.

Baby steps I guess. One foot in front of the other will hopefully take me where I want to be. Which right now would be sitting on my back deck with my son & nephew just rocking' some acoustic.

Medicated & bored...superlative combination - NOT...bleahhh....

Hi Don. So sorry to hear about the spine issue set back. Although, not good, it can be cured also. As an example, may I say: with my brain tumor cancer, they thought it may have spread down my spine. Hence the bone marrow taken and stored in a bank. They treated me with radiation from my eyebrows, all the way down to my tailbone. If you've had some treatments already, you probably know about the side effects of it irritating your stomach lining and throwing up everything down to a glass of water which they insist you drink & puke up over 8 a day. Sometimes it probably feels like someone has a knife in your stomach twisting it back and forth. I went from 208 lbs down to 135 lbs. if your having some of these side effects, you can E Mail me from my site and we can talk back and forth and share while going through this. I would be glad to help however I can with anything you may want to share or any advise. There are some foods I found that worked for me as well as others going through cancer. I loved beef and steaks before, but couldn't keep any beef down except for one place. Chemo therapy magnified the tast of salt and I don't use it to this day. Best wishes, Butch.

Thanks again to everyone for checking in & checking up on me!

Still in the hospital though (who-hoo :( ).

Butch, I have to say, aside from some fatigue, I've tolerated radiation pretty well. I know they've been able to greatly curtail the effects with the more precise delivery in recent years (Varian Technology, Cyber-knife, etc) and mitigating some of it with other meds, so on that front I've been extremely lucky. Chemo was considerably more grueling, and it failed anyway.

The radiation at least kills the metastatic cells, but they keep creeping in somewhere else, so when I get out of here, I need to explore other options. Thinking of going to one of the teaching hospitals near me, like Penn or Cooper where they're using some really cutting edge procedures and see if any of them are viable for me.

Trying to remain steadfast and true to course, but as I'm sure you know, at this point, the journey indeed grows weary...

1438123998[/url]' post='1680106']

Thanks again to everyone for checking in & checking up on me!

Still in the hospital though (who-hoo :( ).

Butch, I have to say, aside from some fatigue, I've tolerated radiation pretty well. I know they've been able to greatly curtail the effects with the more precise delivery in recent years (Varian Technology, Cyber-knife, etc) and mitigating some of it with other meds, so on that front I've been extremely lucky. Chemo was considerably more grueling, and it failed anyway.

The radiation at least kills the metastatic cells, but they keep creeping in somewhere else, so when I get out of here, I need to explore other options. Thinking of going to one of the teaching hospitals near me, like Penn or Cooper where they're using some really cutting edge procedures and see if any of them are viable for me.

Trying to remain steadfast and true to course, but as I'm sure you know, at this point, the journey indeed grows weary...

msp_thumbup.gif Best wishes to you Don.

Hi Don, Just checking in on the thread to see how you are. Sorry to hear you are in the hospital, hopefully you will be out soon. I hope if or when I have to deal with such a tough battle that I remain as positive with the situation as you seem to..keep it up we all are pulling for you..I will be checking back. [thumbup]

Sent me home last Friday. Told them I wasn't sure that was in my best interests, but they did it anyway. Insurance not an issue as mine is very good, so it was the "hospitalist's" call.

Deathly ill since I got home. Tachycardic, dizzy, weak in the legs, ruptured capillaries everywhere...

Saw my oncologist yesterday. He flipped out. The hospital's oncologist put me on an IV steroid called decadron (4mg, 3X daily). Discharged me with a script for 2 mg tablets to taper me off over 5 days. MY oncologist says there's no way my adrenal glands can compensate that quickly, so he readjusted everything and will taper me as he sees correct. Hope he's right cause I don't feel like me at all. Not even a little bit. It's very disconcerting and just awful feeling this sh_tty.

I just wanna play my guitar

Don't worry you will… Glad your personal Dr. is looking out for you. Might be better that you are home though. Definitely a better atmosphere and less chance of getting some hospital bug, specially when you defenses are down… Got you in my thoughts and prayers...

1438746633[/url]' post='1682490']

An extra portion of grace and healing and mercy for your life.

Indeed, may grace, mercy and healing pour over you like rivers of living water.

Look forward to every sunrise, knowing more will follow.

Todd

Amen, I double that.

Thanks so much for the healing thoughts everyone. I do believe they're working.

For the first time in 3 weeks, I was able to get out of the house under my own power (ok, granted it was for follow-up bloodwork but I digress...). Made it to the grocery store too. Never high on my list of things to do, but I'm proud enough of the accomplishment for today.

I'm still unbelievably weak and I have next to no stamina, but I got out, got a few things done and I don't feel like I'm at death's door-step...a far cry from 2 days ago, so I'm guessing my oncologist was correct in that the steroids were being withdrawn too rapidly.

I also take that as part and parcel of the well wishes that my doctors are on-point now.

So again, it doesn't seem anywhere nearly enough to say "thank you" to everyone, but it's all I can offer right now. And know that my thanks are as genuine as the well wishes and are appreciated more than any of you can know.

Thanks so much for the healing thoughts everyone. I do believe they're working.

For the first time in 3 weeks, I was able to get out of the house under my own power (ok, granted it was for follow-up bloodwork but I digress...). Made it to the grocery store too. Never high on my list of things to do, but I'm proud enough of the accomplishment for today.

I'm still unbelievably weak and I have next to no stamina, but I got out, got a few things done and I don't feel like I'm at death's door-step...a far cry from 2 days ago, so I'm guessing my oncologist was correct in that the steroids were being withdrawn too rapidly.

I also take that as part and parcel of the well wishes that my doctors are on-point now.

So again, it doesn't seem anywhere nearly enough to say "thank you" to everyone, but it's all I can offer right now. And know that my thanks are as genuine as the well wishes and are appreciated more than any of you can know.

Hi Don, this is wonderful news. I am so pleased for you. I'm sending those vibes and prayers your way.

kind regards, Emma

Archived