Gibson Brands Forums

Difference in Pickups.

richter269

New to the forum, Great place. I have a 01 gold top classic. This guitar just screams. Problem is I put on my 89 LP Custom, & the 89 sounds like a piece of dead wood compared to the gold top. What kind of pick ups were in the 01 classics. I would like to try to match them up so they have the same sound & volume. Thanks. joe

Most likely your '01 Classic came with the 496R/500T pickups unless you bought it used and pickups were swapped by previous owner. Those pups have a ceramic magnet and are higher output. Don't know exactly which pups you've got in the '89 Custom, but there probably 490R/498T with Alnico 2 magnets (more of a classic LP tone). If you want the Custom to sound hotter/dirtier put an overdrive pedal like a tube screamer between the guitar & amp. It'll save you some $$$, or change your amp settings to beef it up.

Check your pot values (500K), cap values (.022mfd). Your '89 LP Custom will sound dark and lifeless with 300K volume pots. The higher the value, the brighter the tone.

Alnico 2 pickups have a pretty soft/weak tone and they don't have the tightness and cut that alnico 5 (or ceramic) pickups have.

Be sure about the electronics you're using.

Archived