Gibson Brands Forums

1997 Gibson J-60 Plus

Beaverton Duck

Here are some photos of my new to me Gibson 1997 J-60 Plus. I'm not really sure what the "Plus" is for, as there isn't very much information on these guitars. This is, by far, my favorite dread that I have ever played. What is especially amazing about this guitar is how is so well balanced as compared to other dreads that I have played. It has a very substantial bass, and the Gibson "Thump" but it isn't bottom heavy and has a really nice full mid range. This guitar is also VERY loud. I don't think that it is possible to overload the top on this baby.

I spoke a little with the folks in Bozeman and was told that this guitar has a wide X brace similar to early J-35 guitars. I guess that is what allows the volume. As this guitar was built with the idea of getting into the Bluegrass market, the single notes are very clear, full and loud. At the same time, it sounds very nice finger picked. It delivers a really nice tone all the way from soft finger style to very loud strumming and picking.

I don't know if the current model sounds this good, but man, what a great guitar!!

IMG_0013_zpsemfgpbr3.jpgIMG_0014_zpssv8xqrfm.jpgIMG_0015_zpsk1c5xj2i.jpgIMG_0017_zpsdc3vngtg.jpgIMG_0016_zpsdi7ytkvf.jpgIMG_0019_zpsxacffmeb.jpgIMG_0022_zpsyposgsy7.jpgIMG_0023_zpscvuqdrhy.jpgIMG_0027_zpsuyhnfyyo.jpgIMG_0025_zpscc4uhvm4.jpg

• Like 1

Yeah, the J60 is like the T-Rex of dreadnoughts. Bone Crusher is a very appropriate name. Gibson's baby to match-up with the big Martins in the Bluegrass area. It more than matches-up. This relatively unknown guitar has a huge voice. Kicks butt and takes names. Can't count all the comments I've heard about the volume and tone of mine. Kind of plain looking for a Gibby, but with a resonating Gibson thump........Sweet, sweet instrument. [thumbup]

• 1 year later...

Yup they hardly come by here but I want one too! [thumbup]

Herringbone Crusher it is!

What is the price range this is going for new?

Trans

here in the uk the new price is £1,649.00 but when you phone they never have them in stock, I think it's a ploy to drive customers to the shop website by quoting a price that's low and getting the top spot on the Google search. I have seen them for sale for more money second-hand.. the used price in the UK when it was released 2013 was £2461.86 see https://reverb.com/uk/item/34080-used-gibson-j-60-antique-natural-dreadnought-acoustic-electric-guitar they are hard to find I think only 300 made? anyone know?

• 4 years later...

Gibson has stopped production of the J60 Plus way back.  I think the Songwriter was its replacement in the lineup.  I have a 1996 make.  I like that is is plain looking just like a D-28.  I also have received many remarks through the years of how great-sounding the guitar is.  And how loud it is un-amplified.  I still recall about 10 years ago when I had its piezo pickup replaced with an L.R. Baggs Anthem, the tech with a surprised expression strummed the guitar and then held it out to show how the whole guitar was resonating for a long time.  Yeah, that was epic!

1 hour ago, Phosphor_Bronze said:

Gibson has stopped production of the J60 Plus way back.  I think the Songwriter was its replacement in the lineup.  I have a 1996 make.  I like that is is plain looking just like a D-28.  I also have received many remarks through the years of how great-sounding the guitar is.  And how loud it is un-amplified.  I still recall about 10 years ago when I had its piezo pickup replaced with an L.R. Baggs Anthem, the tech with a surprised expression strummed the guitar and then held it out to show how the whole guitar was resonating for a long time.  Yeah, that was epic!

You’re responding to a 4 year old thread

On 7/4/2015 at 4:55 PM, onewilyfool said:

Take THAT, D-28!

Yeah Martin is terrified. The 28 is still in production, and has been since 1931. The 60 was made for 8 years, and if it was all that and a bag of chips Gibson would still be cranking them out.

Who invented the dreadnought - Martin. Who copied it - everyone else.

It is a nice looking axe.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

On 7/4/2015 at 10:55 PM, onewilyfool said:

Take THAT, D-28!

A thought goes out to our Board-humorist, onewilyfool. Often had the comedians angle on things - and could play'n'sing too. 

Don't overlook the picture show to the right.

Did anyone ever answer if we could get black bone pins. . 

Edited by E-minor7

10 hours ago, E-minor7 said:

A thought goes out to our Board-humorist, onewilyfool. Often had the comedians angle on things - and could play'n'sing too. 

Don't overlook the picture show to the right.

Did anyone ever answer if we could get black bone pins. . 

Yes, 'hope OWF is up there behaving himself but having fun with the angel band. There might be those who look for a reason to take something as a slight, but  ol' Wily would never miss an opportunity to make a joke instead, specializing in the department of double entendre. . . lots of possibilities to be had there when talking guitar parts.

Never noticed the video playing just off to the side- but having another look, I see there are a good number of classic images. Well done, OWF.

Re: the pins- In a recent conversation with Mr. Colosi, I was told he can dye them black, but as bone is variable, there are often some that are "unique", and he sets those aside. . . probably would be perfect for what the Acoustic Monk was looking for.

Edited by 62burst

Thanks for that look back - OWF was truly a gift to this forum.  Irascible.  He was the one who compiled the lengthy list of how many J-45 variants there were.  A few here have kept it up now and then by updating one or two new ones.   And, clearly, a great performer !  

On 1/9/2022 at 6:23 PM, 62burst said:

Well done, OWF.

Re: the pins- In a recent conversation with Mr. Colosi, I was told he can dye them black, but as bone is variable, there are often some that are "unique", and he sets those aside. . . probably would be perfect for what the Acoustic Monk was looking for.

Good info ^ hope OWF is watching - the Q was his, , , and I believe he meant it seriously. 

But T.A.M is interested too. .