Gibson Brands Forums

What Amps are you playing your Gibson guitar through?

arlum

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow, lots of great amps. I wish I owned some of them. Lately I have been using only Fender amps. A twin, Deluxe Reverb RI, and a Bandmaster VM. I really like to try out a Tone King Imperial and a small Messa with reverb. No dealers in my area to try them out and at their cost, I would have to try them before buying one.

Kenny V

I've switched up amps quite a bit over the last several years. Most recently it's a Mesa 5:50 with the Mesa 2X12 or my Orange Micro Terror with Orange PPC 1x12 cab. Celestion V30's in both cabs. I do plan to upgrade the little micro terror head to one of their 30W all tube two channel offerings eventually, but the micro is quite impressive.

Orange1_zpsfa956b11.jpg

I haven't used her with the CS-336 as much as I have my Fender Concerts but I just had to show you the dream amp that came to be mine. Only XXXX years to save up. I bought her used but in great condition from a recording studio on the east coast. I'd still be saving if I'd wanted to buy her new. But that's cool because my five best amplifiers were all used when I bought them. This one is simply the finest amplifier I've ever heard or played through. The CS-336 was my dream guitar and the Tony Bruno Underground 30 was my dream amplifier. It's kind of like heaven having both of them in the house. I'm not gloating. I'm just so happy and proud. The last couple of years have been a time of dreams becoming reality.

My Uncle Clarence introduced me to the electric guitar in the late '50s. The guitar / amp set up he'd settled on as his main, (does everything great), was his Gibson Les Paul Standard into a Fender Twin. All these years later I have my Gibson CS-336 and Tony Bruno Underground 30. The Underground 30 even has Tony's take on the vintage Fender three knob, (mix / tone / dwell), stand alone reverb. It makes me feel like, (50+ years later), I'm finally where Uncle Clarence was all that long time ago.

IMG_0604.jpg

IMG_0596.jpg

IMG_0586.jpg

time for the low-rent district to chime in [biggrin]

20150606_195809-1.jpg

in this pic i'm using the lil' nite train but i usually use the special 6. eventually i'll get another 1x12 cab and go stereo. waiting for the evil twin (read amp stand) to finance the purchase.

i would LOVE to have a mesa t/a 15, but that's coin i just ain't got right now. i don't know why they stopped making them. they are sooo cool, and i don't think they have anything like it in their line up anymore

I loved the Orange AD30HTC and should get another one.

Mesa Rectifier Recording Preamp/Mesa Stereo 2:100 w/Creamback65 & Heritage Greenback

ADA MP1/Peavey Classic 50/50 w/Alnico Gold & Vintage 30

1968 Fender Vibrochamp, stock

5 speakers, but only 4 mics. A recording can be single speaker, as is the case with the Fender, or pairs of speaks. Cleans are usually Mesa Pre into both amps, recording the Alnico Gold and Heritage Greenback. Low gain is the same. High gain is all MP1 territory with 6L6/EL84 and sometimes the 2:100 is used in 'Modern' for the signature dual rec smash.

14361041434850_zpsxs4zb57n.jpg

Oh um gee - I hate threads like this. I have over 40 amps & I'm not taking pictures of all of them again just to post em up in here. I like a wide variety of amperage [smile]

Some excellent guitar/amp photos in here however [thumbup]

Guest Farnsbarns

I have played almost exclusively through home made amps for a couple of years now. Still using a 1960a cab. I really must finish that combo cabinet soon. It's so nearly done and I think 1 speaker will suit my amps better.

Edit: basically an 18 watt built around the same cicuit as all the 18 watt master volume amps and a 5 watter, single ended, variable power, preamp gain stage.

About to do a cathode biased version of a blues junior.

I know this is the Gibson forum but Gibson amps, when they bother to release them, don't play in the same ballpark with Gibson guitars. I'm talking about Gibson guitars and their renown for usage with specific amps. Gibson and Marshall. Ted Nugent's Byrdland / Fender combo. Pete Townshend's Gibson SG / Hiwatt combo, For this thread the guitar is a Gibson production or Custom Shop model teamed up with whatever amp you love playing it through. What is / are the amplifier(s) you own and utilize to give an audible voice to your Gibson guitar? Which Gibson guitar into which amp produces your tone?

I am using an AC30 for my Rics and for my gibby and Gretsch a Marshall DSL40.

MojoMike,

I've played through a few Dr. Z Maz 18s, (both the regular version and non-reverb), and would love to add one to my studio. Even though it has a little less gain I personally prefer the version with reverb on board. I do own a Dr Z Mazerati GT, (super high gain version of the Dr. Z Maz Senior that's now out of production). I'm definitely a fan of the good Dr. Have you checked out his latest release? Dr. Z Z-Lux

MojoMike,

I've played through a few Dr. Z Maz 18s, (both the regular version and non-reverb), and would love to add one to my studio. Even though it has a little less gain I personally prefer the version with reverb on board. I do own a Dr Z Mazerati GT, (super high gain version of the Dr. Z Maz Senior that's now out of production). I'm definitely a fan of the good Dr. Have you checked out his latest release? Dr. Z Z-Lux

Yes I have, I also like the Z Wreck combo. If it's good enough for Brad Paisley, Joe Walsh and Walter Becker, it's certainly good enough for me.

Cheers

I have played almost exclusively through home made amps for a couple of years now. Still using a 1960a cab. I really must finish that combo cabinet soon. It's so nearly done and I think 1 speaker will suit my amps better.

Edit: basically an 18 watt built around the same cicuit as all the 18 watt master volume amps and a 5 watter, single ended, variable power, preamp gain stage.

About to do a cathode biased version of a blues junior.

Yeah I was wondering about your cab...

By the way.. If you need any wood for future stuff let me know.. Ive got a crap load :)

Archived