Gibson Brands Forums

Trivia Question

sparquelito

In the early years when KISS first broke out large and noisy, they were open advocates for Pearl drums and Gibson guitars.

It was the early-mid 1970's.

Every 15 year old could clearly read the album liner notes from KISS Alive and Dressed To Kill and see that KISS endorsed Pearl drums and Gibson guitars.

This is probably a case of casting swine before pearls, but I'm going to go ahead and pose the trivia question:

There are three Gibson guitars on display on the classic cover of KISS Alive.

Can you name the models (and approximate vintage) of those Gibson guitars?

Go.

Kiss_alive_album_cover.jpg

hmm, pure guesswork here..

Gene is playing a Gibson Gimme bass

Paul is playing a Fender StraightItellya

Ace is on his traditional Gibson Letsget P!ssed custom

..or something like that. [biggrin]

Looks like Paul has a Firebird, Ace has a 3 pup LP and Gene has a Ripper.

That's what I'd say as well... Ripper, LP, Firebird - left to right. Seems obvious, unless I'm missing something. No idea on the vintage, but I would imagine as new as they come in the year that photo was shot - so maybe 1974?

I saw KISS play live in Dothan, Alabama in 1975, not long after the KISS Alive album came out.

My brother Stacey and I were in a garage band at the time, and we loved the theatrics, the crushing power chords, and the larger-than-live stage characters that KISS presented to us.

Earlier in late 1974, Larry Davis of Casablanca Records had pulled off a great deal for the relatively unknown band.

"One of my projects was getting Gibson Guitars to sign KISS as an official sponsor. I'd successfully signed the band to a contract that provided them with free guitars in exchange for featuring the Gibson logo on all their albums and promising to use Gibson instruments exclusively on stage."

Gene's bass guitar is a 1973 or 1974 Gibson Grabber G1 that he had refinished a dark metal-flake red.

Those who guessed that the guitar was a Ripper weren't far off;

Both guitars were introduced in the same year, and the body styles were very similar.

The big difference was that the Grabber had an adjustable, sliding pickup that you could 'grab' to move either closer to the neck or closer to the bridge.

Ace Frehley's guitar on that album covers was his 1973 Les Paul Deluxe, into which he had installed a 3rd (middle) pickup.

Paul Stanley is seen playing a 1974 Gibson Thunderbird, originally given to him in natural wood finish. He had it painted black by a friend of his father's, who worked at a New York City furniture store.

Thanks for playing, it was fun!

[flapper]

PS My brother Stacey and I still play in a band to this day, and we include a few KISS songs in our set list, just out of a sense of nostalgia.

We do the song Strutter on a regular basis, and we had to teach it to our girl singer (who had never heard it before). She's a few years younger than us, go figure.

We also do the acoustic version of Rock And Roll All Night, as performed by Toad The Wet Sprocket on the tribute Album "KISS My Asss".

On occasion, we will do Ace Freyley's version of The Stone's 2000 Man, and Gene's solo song See You Tonight.

Okay, I'm gonna shut up now.

:(

Paul Stanley is seen playing a 1974 Gibson Thunderbird, originally given to him in natural wood finish. He had it painted black by a friend of his father's, who worked at a New York City furniture store.

Hmmmm... I thought the Thunderbird was a bass.

Archived