Gibson Brands Forums

Hummingbird Pick Guard

thevalleygirl

Greetings! I just received my 12 string Hummingbird back from Gibson Restoration. They put a new pick guard on that is rubbery, painted, and the edges are rolling up. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the old pick guard was celluloid and embossed...correct???

I sent this to Gibson Restoration 10 months ago with a broken neck (Napa Earthquake) it came back missing its serial number...I sent it back, I got it back And it wasn't setup...the strings were laying on the neck AND there was overspray on the body...I sent it back.. NOW I received it, sounds great, but the pick guard is curling, painted hummingbird scene, and rubbery.k

What a mess - maybe Jeremy Morton should make an entrance in this situation.

Good to see you here again - tho the occasion isn't too positive.

Btw. something tells me I saw you guitar on another platform recently. Could it have been FB or a different Forum.

What a mess - maybe Jeremy Morton should make an entrance in this situation.

Good to see you here again - tho the occasion isn't too positive.

Btw. something tells me I saw you guitar on another platform recently. Could it have been FB or a different Forum.

Yes, on 12 strung acoustic forum

VlyGrl, as you might know - this is the new standard PG for H'Birds. I guess Gibson moved to them because a lot of people complained about the design wearing off the old pickguard. Is 'Gibson Restoration' in Bozeman? Sounds like they have zero quality control. But, the PG is what it is. I'd put a phone book on it for a couple of days to see if it just needs time and pressure to get the glue to set. Easier and safer than shipping the guitar back again, if it works. G'Luck.

...and the edges are rolling up.....

I hesitate to ask, but are you sure that's not the plastic covering rolling up? Those plastic coverings are near invisible.... until they're not.

Hi Thevalleygirl,

I responded to your email this morning.

I will be happy to resolve this for you via email.

All the best

Jeremy

Jeremy to he rescue, once again!

You're a valuable asset to the company--not to mention to Gibson owners.

Pickguards have just gotta be right - if not the whole guitar looks wrong.

I hope Gibson reads this. I have a newer Gibson Hummingbird with that same rubbery jell pick guard. ....I'm not sure if I should keep it on the guitar, or put it on toast and try to eat it.msp_unsure.gif

I hope Gibson reads this. I have a newer Gibson Hummingbird with that same rubbery jell pick guard. ....I'm not sure if I should keep it on the guitar, or put it on toast and try to eat it.msp_unsure.gif

I would not suggest consuming a pick guard. I can't imagine it could be good for you.

JM

I would not suggest consuming a pick guard. I can't imagine it could be good for you.

JM

Get a pair of them, and use them as insoles in your running shoes: thick, long-wearing, flexible.

1436187487[/url]' post='1673456']

I hesitate to ask, but are you sure that's not the plastic covering rolling up? Those plastic coverings are near invisible.... until they're not.

Hah! You are correct! I am embarrassed to admit, after checking out mine to remove it, I knew the dealer had taken it off before shipping it, as part of the set-up.Wrong! A month later little curls started to appear at the edges. On a tiger stripe pg. GuitarLight, be sure to remove the plastic wrapping before eating.

Archived