Gibson Brands Forums

Southern Jumbo Special 12 fret scratch and dent

Hey guys! New to the forum and about to buy my first Gibson. However. I'd like to pose a question, if I may, to those who are not "emotionally invested" in this situation. First some background context. I went to put a J45 standard on Lay-a-way. My mind was set on it. I'd gone to play it multiple times, it was as good as mine in my head! Ha! Anyway, the day I was there the salesman was putting a SJ special 12 fret on the floor. I asked what the story was on it and he explained someone else had put it on layaway and when they came to pick it up they noticed it had been "dinged" on the top side of the lower bout, so they decided against purchasing it. I played the thing and man, it sounds and feels sooo good.The guy said he would do it at the same price as the j45 since it did have the blemish.I immediately put it on layaway (after sitting and playing it for almost an hour) as an impulse. I knew nothing about this guitar, but figured a J45 standard is common, and if I change my mind it's easy to find one and I'd never seen this 12 fret, listed as custom shop before. Of course I get home and Google it, and see its a limited edition, rave reviews etc..now I am here asking for level headed help!! Is this a good deal or should I pass on it?? The ding is pretty deep,maybe about the diameter of a straw, but the sound is sooo good. I just don't want the ding to deteriorate more in the future. Thoughts?

i got one that has a funny finish spot on the peghead just above the tuners on that bass side so you can see it. I did not see until I got home. I got a great price on the guitar and it sounds so very good and plays so well that I am not looking back. My L-00 that I got of CL 4 or 5 year ago had an issue with the finish, but heck when I am done with these guitars there is going to be a lot more issues with the finish even if I continue to take great care of these instruments. They are made to be played so you got your mojo out of the box so to speak especially if the give you a discount because of the "blemish". Too many folks see their guitars as works of art alone and not something to free your soul. Don't let the guitar own you.

Not many of these around. For me the 'ding' would not prevent the acquisition if it had the sound I liked. Good luck with the decision ! Your fundamental question has no correct answer. Should I buy the J-45 that I like, or the 12 fret SJ that I lake. You cannot go wrong either way - but if you let that 12 fretted slip away, it could be a long time before you see another.

If you are not used to a 12 fret…..please play it a bit more, see where it sits on your lap, where your arm rests on the lower bout, etc…..I love the sounds of 12 frets, but some are hard to position comfortably……but congrats!!

No problem...if you always play with a strap.

If you are not used to a 12 fret…..please play it a bit more, see where it sits on your lap, where your arm rests on the lower bout, etc…..I love the sounds of 12 frets, but some are hard to position comfortably……but congrats!!

I've had two previous 12 frets albeit they were 0 size bodies. I really like the feel of those necks but, I do slightly think that a larger body like that looks "strange" having less neck sticking out from the body. It's amazing how much difference two frets makes in the appearance of the neck.

Getting money off for a superficial ding is the best deal of all. You'll be putting your own blessed dings on the guitar if you play it the way it's meant to be played. So, enjoy the savings and the chance to own a special guitar that you know you like. If the issue had been structural that would be a totally different argument. But a ding? A great way to get a few bucks off!

Nice. And a 12 fret SJ is a whole lotta J-45 tone for your "first" Gibson slope. Hopefully, you got to play that one alongside the J-45 that almost came home with you. Or just give a listen to one after your ears get accustomed to the SoJo.

Love the small burst here, too. A plus that the location of the chip that helped bring down the guitar's cost just happens to be located not only in the "arm go" area, but also in the dark area of the burst, making it fairly straight forward to do a repair to lessen the visual impact should you ever feel so inclined. Here's the Stewart-MacDonald video with Dan Erlewine demonstrating:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rTVScFJoe24

Happy NGD.

Nice looking work of art, Brian. Congratulations! Oh yeah, you might have ruined my summer, too. G.A.S. is rearing it's ugly head for the first time in 2 years. Good thing they've run out of these. What...something like only 60 made? Wow!

Nice. And a 12 fret SJ is a whole lotta J-45 tone for your "first" Gibson slope. Hopefully, you got to play that one alongside the J-45 that almost came home with you. Or just give a listen to one after your ears get accustomed to the SoJo.

Love the small burst here, too. A plus that the location of the chip that helped bring down the guitar's cost just happens to be located not only in the "arm go" area, but also in the dark area of the burst, making it fairly straight forward to do a repair to lessen the visual impact should you ever feel so inclined. Here's the Stewart-MacDonald video with Dan Erlewine demonstrating:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rTVScFJoe24

Happy NGD.

Not sure how much you got off the price for the ding, but my luthier would make that completely disappear for about $50. If he were doing other work on one of my guitars, he probably wouldn't even charge me, since it's in the black.