Gibson Brands Forums

Ugly dream the other night

ksdaddy

I dreamed that I bought back a guitar that I had sold. Right from there we have a problem, as I still own it in real life... anyway, in the dream I had indeed sold it and a while later had bought it back. It's actually a 1989 but in the dream it was a 1990. It was the middle of winter and I was standing at one end of a bridge near my house and I made the proclamation that I was going to walk to the high school and play this guitar, about 2 miles in the dead of winter. I had the guitar in one had and the case in the other and I began walking across the bridge just as if that was normal to carry them as such. I then noticed some damage along one side of the fingerboard, like the binding had come loose and they had reglued it with model cement. In addition, one side seam had popped open and they also glued that in a similarly sloppy fashion. I looked at the headstock and it appeared as though someone had tried sanding the face of the headstock and had taken part of it right down to the holly.... which is another lie because I don't believe they ever went back to holly once they switched to the...whatever it is they've used for the last 40-45 years.

The guitar was a beat up cobbled wreck and I had mixed feelings. First I thought it was great because I could now play hell out of this thing without worrying about it, and then I felt angry because I have taken very good care of it in the 9(?) years I've owned it and I was pretty livid that someone could abuse it like they did, even though I lost the right to complain once I had sold it.

Some people might think dreams have some hidden meaning. Maybe, maybe not.

j200a.jpg

The dead of winter? It means you realize you are an old fart. Crossing a bridge? With possessions that once was yours, that you lost, and regained, but is now damaged? Sad about the damage?

Call your kids. Tell them you love them. See a doctor. Make sure your health is ok.

And don't cross the bridge! We need you alive and well here on the Gibson Forum.

Spooky. Spookier still; have you ever mentioned this "dream" on the forum before? For some reason the tale sounds familiar, happening at night, in the dead of winter, guitar in hand, a few years ago, in, I believe, a mid-western US location, you know, like Kansas.

A re-occurring dream, or did I dream that I dreamt this dream myself?

Sometimes tough learning the lesson that you can never go back.

It's the emotion (feeling) the dream imparted that is the real matter of note and not the scenario the brain chose to invent for the transfer of such. In this instance you are obviously insecure about your control over something or someone within your personal sphere of influence ...... or just off your darn meds again! *Your bill is in the mail.

steve

Crossing the bridge would be no worse than meeting the devil at the crossroads. I have dreams that my guitars get damanged and that I am trying to decide what to do about it. For some reason in the dream they are always unable to be fixed so the choice is live with it or get a new one. Maybe this is where GAS comes from, deep down in the subconscious.

Amazing thread - Guitar-dreams are highly intense and sometimes traumatic.

Not seldom have I dreamt my guitar turned to gel or plastic full of air like beach-animals while playing.

The music'n'lyrics are totally naturalistic, but then suddenly the neck begins to melt.

Once I was doin' a tune with Dylan (You Angel You) and my acoustic slowly turned into this !!! . . . teaegg-.jpg

It absolutely freaked me out, but Dylan showed great gentlemanship and just said, "go on it's alright". All while I was trying to control the tiny holes as if the thing was a flute.

Completely nightmarish it was. .

And recently my Bird flew out of my hands while running with it on the pavement. I couldn't accept it was happening, but it was.

A woman picked the TV up and luckily it wasn't as damaged as me.

Dream on folks

I had a nightmare the night before my first LP arrived. I dreamt I was going through the glorious unboxing process; got the guitar out of the case...and then I dropped it on the headstock. Just a slip of the hands, and crack, off it pings.

It woke me up in shock and took me a moment to realise it wasn't real; although I had to check the date and time to assure myself.

I went back to sleep and forgot about it.

The next day when the unboxing actually happened; that dream suddenly popped into my head and it almost happened! Luckily it didn't follow the same suit and I proceeded very gingerly from there.

Needless to say I bought the highest grade of musical instrument insurance I could!

Strange thing happened today. My father had bought a sunburst J200, NOS 1973 or 74 in 1978. Hated it. He sold it in '84. Today the current owner called and asked my daughter to have me call him because the J200 needs work.

Strange

A new possibility here: "Monsieur Daddy, Axe Mender/Guitar Psychic"? Combine with Guitar CSI for a triple-threat. First assignment: what happened to that '48-'51 (?) J that vw1300 posted about recently in his "Refinished Gibson" thread.

Screen%20Shot%202015-06-24%20at%203.12.53%20AM_zpssxvmpocc.png

Everyone pretty much covered it, including things I wouldn't have known, but my FIRST reaction at the first thumbnail was "this was refinished at Gibson in the 70s". Dead giveaway? Sunburst sprayed over the rosette.

For a lousy $1599 I would have snapped it up if it's merits warranted it, regardless of its lineage.

Archived