Gibson Brands Forums
Sign in to follow this  
mking

Gibson Vintage Reissues Made For Japan

I have seen some of these vintage looking reissues on various sites for sale and the location of the guitar is in Japan. This guitar is in Ashville NC, says it was made for the Japanese market, the data sheet says "Made In USA-No", yet on the back of the headstock is the Gibson Custom Shop label. It is a 2009 LG-2 that replicates the 40's banner guitars. Does anyone have any info on these guitars? Are they made in Japan authorized by Gibson? Thanks.

https://reverb.com/item/760768-gibson-lg-2-2009?device=ios-app

I found the site guitardaterproject.org and entered the serial number 01109012 and it came back made in Bozeman Montana April 20, 2009. Why the spec sheet says no for made in USA is a mystery.

Most would probably know: This Gibson Montana model was apparently released in Japan only. Gibson sometimes has "special exclusive" releases for certain markets.

No idea what meaning is of "Made In USA-No" on the spec sheet. Very curious.

They often make models exclusively for the Japanese market. not sure what that stamp on the headstock means.... but no, they aren't built in Japan unless they are fake which that doesn't appear to be.

-Keith

edit: I see the spec sheet now. the reason it says "no" next to made in usa is to show that it will NOT have a made in USA stamp on the headstock (vintage correct) NOT to mean that it isn't made in America

I have one of these from a limited run they did in 2012....they are really really nice. Similar to the American eagle, but better specs in my opinion...sunburst and rectangular thru saddle bridge. Street price when new was about $2000. Don't see them resold very often...A great find for someone looking at LG-2s.

<-------avitar.