Gibson Brands Forums

NGD Original Genesis

Rolling Esto

Hey all,

New member and HNGD to me! Was given, yes given, an original Epi Genesis by a friend. It had been sitting in his shed for 20+ years and he had forgotten that neighbors had given it to him back in the day...... Anyway, after some elbow grease and TLC she's a true player and a keeper, love it!

I did have a couple of questions for anyone who might know. The SN on the back of the headstock is 0900146, does this mean that it's a 1979 and the 146th made? I looked in the ID section and it didn't help, also did some research and only have general info, I even emailed Jim Walker (designer of the Genesis and former Gibson employee, very nice guy btw) and he couldn't remember the protocol for SN's. It's not a big deal as I'm not going to sell it, just thought it'd be cool to know.

Also, anyone know how many Genesis were manufactured in total?

Hoping someone out there may have the answers!

Thanks in advance!

M

P.S. Included are some pics. I should have totally taken more before pics but the fretboard pic should give an idea of how neglected she was.

post-72934-008869700 1436381446_thumb.jpg

post-72934-050216400 1436381509_thumb.jpg

post-72934-010613000 1436381572_thumb.jpg

post-72934-091829600 1436381663_thumb.jpg

Hey all,

New member and HNGD to me! Was given, yes given, an original Epi Genesis by a friend. It had been sitting in his shed for 20+ years and he had forgotten that neighbors had given it to him back in the day...... Anyway, after some elbow grease and TLC she's a true player and a keeper, love it!

I did have a couple of questions for anyone who might know. The SN on the back of the headstock is 0900146, does this mean that it's a 1979 and the 146th made? I looked in the ID section and it didn't help, also did some research and only have general info, I even emailed Jim Walker (designer of the Genesis and former Gibson employee, very nice guy btw) and he couldn't remember the protocol for SN's. It's not a big deal as I'm not going to sell it, just thought it'd be cool to know.

Also, anyone know how many Genesis were manufactured in total?

Hoping someone out there may have the answers!

Thanks in advance!

M

P.S. Included are some pics. I should have totally taken more before pics but the fretboard pic should give an idea of how neglected she was.

HNGD and welcome, Rolling Esto. Hope you find your info and your Genesis continues as a good player. [thumbup]

Archived