Gibson Brands Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Clump

NGD - J45 STD Red Spruce VOS

I joined the Gibson Acoustic family recently. I had played a J-45 and it haunted me ever since. I started looking somewhat seriously and listed/sold my Taylor, so it was time!

I bought the last J-45 Standard Red Spruce VOS that Sweetwater had in stock. Seems like limited production and it sits between the Standard and TV models. I was really hesitant to buy an acoustic on line, but as usual Sweetwater was great. My sales engineer played the guitar I bought along with a few Standards, Customs and Songwriters. He felt like the VOS was the pick of the bunch, so that's the 1 I took. After playing it for a couple of days I think he was right!

Really loving the sound. The action is comparable to the Taylor it replaced and I don't think there's any more classic look. All this in under 4 pounds. I'm super happy with it. It was expensive, but really no more than a comparable Taylor or Martin.

It has the LR Baggs Element pickup system. I plugged it into my Blackstar HT1R and it sounded nice. Kicked up the gain and was rocking Black Sabbath on an acoustic. Overdriven the sound is really unique.

Definitely still on the honeymoon, but couldn't be happier!

Sweetwater's pics were better, but here she is:

IMG_2584_zpscg9ucsch.jpg

IMG_2585_zps0jlwwb8x.jpg

IMG_2587_zpscze9w6by.jpg

I have a red spruce J-45, too. Love it. Congrats on a fine new git- play it hard and strong!

I don't think I've ever come face to face with a VOS finish. How do you like it? And how would you describe it?

Everyone should be issued a J-45 at birth. What a great looking guitar. If you like it now, just wait a year or 2 for the nitro to harden and that Red Spruce to loosen up - wowza !

I don't think I've ever come face to face with a VOS finish. How do you like it? And how would you describe it?

It's a lot shinier than I expected. Just a step or 2 down from full gloss. In some lighting it looks kinda not smooth, almost like brush strokes. Gibson pump polish works really well on it, but I'm trying not to polish much. It shows fingerprints. A lot of how it looks is light dependent.

Really having a hard time putting it down.

It's a lot shinier than I expected. Just a step or 2 down from full gloss. In some lighting it looks kinda not smooth, almost like brush strokes. Gibson pump polish works really well on it, but I'm trying not to polish much. It shows fingerprints. A lot of how it looks is light dependent.

Really having a hard time putting it down.

Sounds nice, Clump. Fingerprints are a definite issue with dark finishes. It's kind of like owning a black car. They look really sweet when they are clean, but keeping them clean requires a little work. I use Gibson pump polish on mine too and agree that it works really well.

Sounds nice, Clump. Fingerprints are a definite issue with dark finishes. It's kind of like owning a black car. They look really sweet when they are clean, but keeping them clean requires a little work. I use Gibson pump polish on mine too and agree that it works really well.

If you like the VOS appearance () do) try to limit the use of any polish. I polished mine every string change, and now its glossy. 2010J-45TV.jpg

I kind of feel bad about it, but I have never polished my guitars. I just wipe them down with a soft cloth.

Clump - CONGRATS !! I'm sure you'll find it becomes an extension of your creative spirit to a point you won't be able to part with it. The J45 Icon has appeared in many versions over the years - but it is probably the best loved, most recognized and most versatile of any guitar in the world. (Disclaimer - of course, I'm biased! ). G'Luck !