Gibson Brands Forums
Sign in to follow this  
ksdaddy

One year without cigarettes

As of 10:15 last night I've gone one year without a smoke. I had quit with the patch but two days later I had an acute bout with Benign Paroxysmal Positional Vertigo (BPPV) and not knowing what it was, blamed it on the patch. I peeled the patch off and went cold turkey after that. A few weeks later I had another bout with BPPV and that's when I found out the truth. Just as well, the patch just prolonged it.

I quit in 1996 for just under 2 years and again in 2007 for just over 2 years. The difference THEN was that my first wife (heavy smoker) was still alive so I never really escaped the smell or second hand smoke. (Yes, she died of lung cancer at 45).

My current wife quit smoking in January 2013 and we have never smoked in the 'new' house that we bought in 2012. The previous owners were Jehovah's Witnesses so it's unlikely they smoked here or allowed it in the house.

I work in a small government office building with a grand total of 9 employees, none of whom smoke. So basically I've not been around smoke for a good fat honest year.

Now I can smell a cigarette 400 feet away and it makes me sick.

At the same time, I could "smoke a cigarette three feet long", as I am known to say. It's really a mixed bag. I miss smoking but I'm also highly intolerant of the smell.

I've come to realize I am, and will always be, addicted to nicotine, and there's not a damn thing I can do about it. However, my power lies in how I deal with the HABIT. I may be an addict but that doesn't mean I need to give in.

I joked about quitting, saying "How hard is it to QUIT something? All you have to do is NOT do something!" I know it's more complex than that but boiled down to it's core, that's really true, isn't it?

Tammie was lucky. She got a pain in her chest in September, diagnosed in October and was gone January 6th. MY luck, I would have had a stroke, had to sell my guitars because I couldn't play them, I'd have one of those electric voice boxes and they'd amputate my feet. Let alone bladder cancer.

I want to live a while.

As the saying goes, "If I had known I was going to live this long, I would have taken better care of myself".

To anyone who's quit, high five. To anyone thinking about quitting, just flip the switch and be done with it. To anyone who doesn't want to quit, enjoy it. With luck, one day you'll decide it's time. Nobody can twist your arm in the meantime.

Well done!

Heart scare made me stop cold in Jan 2013 after 44 years. I'd gradually cut down since 2000 when I went to tiny roll-ups.

But if I don't get COPD I will be very, very lucky. Damage already done.

It does get better, but like you I can't stand the smoke now.

I get a strong urge for a cigarette every so often, maybe once every couple of months; lasts about 2 minutes if that.

Good on ya, ksdaddy! I turned my back on them in '98 after a 23 year affair... the craving DOES go away, at least it did for me.

As you noted, you do become sensitive to the smell, but it doesn't bother me that much; when you've 'been there, done that', you can see both sides of the coin.

"Nobody can twist your arm in the meantime." Truer words were never spoken.

Way to go Dad! I used the patch in '93 and haven't smoked since. And it doesn't bother me if other people are smoking. I kind of like the smell but it doesn't entice me at all. It gets better. You can look in the mirror and say "I'm not a smoker." [thumbup] [thumbup]

Way to go Daddy O' ! I never smoked cigarettes but did my fare share sniffing welding smoke 33 years and 4 months at the Railroad. 40 yrs including other jobs. Can't say I miss it. Burlington Northern used Flux Core wire. Did you guys know prolonged use to that stuff can cause cancer and brain tumors. It's printed on every roll and there were times I used two rolls a day. It's been two yrs I've been retired and I feel so much better.

My gf has been cigarette free for like 6 months now and she does love the smell of the smoke, but she's not strayed.

It was rough to handle her the first month...hell.

I am so proud of her and YOU. Anyone who can do this can do about anything they set their mind to.

[thumbup]

Congrats on year one!!

I passed the 3 year mark this past January 31st @ 10:00PM

No cravings, although I *could* enjoy the shZt out of a 3' smoke while drinking a pot of black coffee and eating a pound of bacon cooked just right. I'll think I'll pass though. Experience tells me I can't just enjoy one once in a while. I'm really a smoker that hasn't had one for 3+ years when you get down to it.

I had it so bad that in 2007 I had myself checked into the Mayo Clinic in Rochester Minnesota on a locked unit with ten other folks who could not quit on their own. It was one of the more brutal periods in my life, and I have never smoked since.

There are times when the craving hits so hard that I almost drive off the road, but still have not succumbed.

I always tell folks (and myself) that much like an alcoholic, I am still addicted, but have not smoked today.

Congratulations and good luck.

Congrats, i quit smoking in September and I vape now so i'm halfway quit. I enjoy a good vape but i imagine i'll quit that within the next year.

Guest Farnsbarns

I have stopped a number of times but never managed to make it stick for more than a few months. I have 2 weeks off work starting about an hour ago and I'm going to get back on my vaporiser in that time. Then once I'm comfortable with that I'm going to slowly bring the nicotine strength to 0.

Congratulations KSdaddy! It's nice to see that many ex-smokers.

It is really nice living without smoke. And it's not only healthy, it's increddible how much money you can save. Stop smoking, and buy gear!

Funny, I own now a beautyfull Tobacco Sunburst partly because I don't smoke.

Way to go Dad! I used the patch in '93 and haven't smoked since. And it doesn't bother me if other people are smoking. I kind of like the smell but it doesn't entice me at all. It gets better. You can look in the mirror and say "I'm not a smoker." [thumbup] [thumbup]

I'm right behind BBD. I went cold turkey June of '94. it's good to breathe... stick with it. don't go back...

Congrats!

The first time I quite cold turkey and went 3 years smoke free; but due to personal circumstances at the time 9 (my ex) I fell off the wagon. I didn't think it was possible to want to start smoking again after so long without. I think in times of crisis it is human nature to revert back to behavior that helps you cope.

After 3 years I quite again cold turkey and this Sept I'll be 9 years smoke free. No cravings, desires or whatever. I see people smoking now and wonder what the attraction is.

Quitting was the hardest thing I've ever had to do.

Sincere congrats, ksd.

I'm sure I don't need to list any of the benefits.

Live long and in good health and give your beauties a regular workout!

[thumbup]

Pip.

Keep it up and find something to distract you when you get cravings. I've battled nicotine addiction for over 20 years and I've been fully nicotine free for 3 weeks now. I had quit smoking for several years, but relapsed during a night of drinking. It took me another 6 1/2 years to fully quit again. I went from smoking to chew, and from that to vaping. I threw away my vape pipe when I moved 3 weeks ago and really don't miss the nicotine. Its been three years since I've smoked and I still get cravings when I smell it. Then again, sometimes it disgusts me when I smell it. I'm not sure I'll ever be over it, but I think/hope I can avoid it from now on. You can do it!

Good for you and keep it up. Nothing like an ex smoker to be angry about any smoke around. I smoked for 9 years in the 70's and 80's, quit at 25, cold turkey until 48. Then smoked for a short while (new young wife smoked big time) and went to the ER Dec 31st, 2008 with chest pain and had cardiac studies. Went from normal 3 years before to 60% narrowing in 3 years in the "widow maker" artery. Wake up call city. I am now that jerk that won't stand for it anywhere around. Luckily California is full of like minded jerks and one is a pariah if they smoke here.

You are saving your own life. Keep it up.