Gibson Brands Forums

One year without cigarettes

ksdaddy

Nice going KS Daddy.

I'm over smokes now, but for several years I could, at a weak moment (like a few too many beers) have easily gone back. As youngsters we bristle with over confidence. The older we get, the more we appreciate what we've salvaged of our health. 

I met with friends today. We have all now lived beyond the age our parents did, and feel privileged about that. 

Condolences and commiserations to you Sparquelito.

My Dad was a heavy smoker; it thickens the blood and the walls of the arteries get thinner.  By the time he was 70 his blood was clotting in less than 10 seconds (normal is 23-30 secs I believe).  Can you imagine the strain on the heart?  He died at 72, during a heart op; massive arterial aneurism.

I finally quit tobacco completely in 2013.

Edited by jdgm
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, fortyearspickn said:

I smoked on and off from around 18 until I was 50.  Lucky nothing developed, quit cold turkey 20 years ago.   Wife, more addicted, finally quit. Got lung cancer a decade later, but caught early enough. A week doesn't go by though she still tells me she wishes she could have  one.   I'm glad the media with their obfuscation finally allowed us to ignore the politics, the advertising, the science and  finally realize for ourselves - by living through stories like Sparqy's  - that Cigarettes Will Kill you.  And not 'softly with a song'.   Makes you wonder about  food and allergies.  Why do Americans suddenly have allergies to everything?  Why are half of us way overweight ?    Why does the government, whose main job is to protect us from obvious dangers - not put their foot down on the necks of drug dealers?     If we can't trust 'them'   (politicians, scientists and the media) to do their jobs on these more obvious things ... 

yeah would be great. I f’n hate smoking. I started once I was 15 - first day of high school haha - because it was “cool”. I watched my grandmother die from emphysema slowly for years gasp for air with her tubes running around the house carrying her oxygen. Died at 74 years young and the last 5 or more weren’t fun for her. She ended up having to take a crap in her own family room with hospital grade equipment. That sucks. Humiliating… My wife’s dad died at 60 from throat cancer that spread along with COPD - from smoking. Died in his sleep shortly after operation to remove the throat tumor - which left him without part of his larynx if he would have ended up surviving. Need to relearn how to swallow stuff and talk… F that…

I quit after my first son’s birth to give them the most years they can have with their old man. These are my feelings about cigarettes and I wish that s*** wasn’t around anymore. There’s so much bad with tobacco for so little - so little - gain if there even is one to be had. 

@sparquelito my condolences… very sorry to hear about your loss. 

• Like 2

I have been around friends relatives and co workers that have died to lung cancer.  It was never a pretty sight seeing them go from like 250 lbs down to 75 lbs at death.  They looked like skeletons with skin draped over them. Thats a hard vision to get rid of and so congrats on smoke free to all here. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I was a two pack a day smoker. I quit many years ago after being shamed by my son’s allergist that I was killing  him with my smoking. It was the toughest thing I ever had to do, all I thought about for the first year. I never smoked another cigarette but my son started as a teenager which wasn’t in the plan. He has quit several times but gave up on it and is still a smoker. I hope my reward for quitting isn’t outliving my child.

Then there's those guys like my Father in law, who died at age 86 of stomach cancer that wasn't smoking related.  Smoked since he was a kid up until a week or less before passing.  Or my Mother, who died from complications of the treatment of a cancerous tumor attached to  both of her lungs that formed 20 years after she quit smoking.  And actually, the cancer treatments caused other health issues that probably led to her death.

Whitefang

I could tell tons of smoking stories, But they are all ugly with sad ends leading to death.  I'm more impressed with the success  stories of those who've kicked the habit. I probably shouldn't say this but due to complications of the wife's menopause I haven't had sex in over 25 years. If I can kick that habit then anyone can toss a cigarette away for good! And believe me, not a day goes by that I don't desire it. 

• Like 2

I quit smoking 34 years ago but oddly still get a craving for it every once in a while.

Retired, start taking Propecia.  You'll grow hair on your head but it will kill your libido.  Don't ask me how I know.

• Like 1

On 7/10/2015 at 3:19 PM, ksdaddy said:

To anyone who's quit, high five. To anyone thinking about quitting, just flip the switch and be done with it. To anyone who doesn't want to quit, enjoy it. With luck, one day you'll decide it's time. Nobody can twist your arm in the meantime.

I have not touched a cigarette since 18. oct 2005, that'll be 16 years soon.
IT IS WORTH IT, life becomes better in every way. Even health improves  slowly, but noticeably. Yeah! 👍

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Bronx said:

I quit smoking 34 years ago but oddly still get a craving for it every once in a while.

Retired, start taking Propecia.  You'll grow hair on your head but it will kill your libido.  Don't ask me how I know.

Haha, I tried all sorts of hair growth products. They hit me up heavy with all the chemo drugs and then radiation treatments and then another round with both again.  I wasn't supposed to get any hair on my head or my eyebrows back. I have some so that's a miracle. I don't know if you can see it from my avatar photo, Lol.

On 6/20/2021 at 9:11 AM, Bronx said:

yea, awhile back I started getting testosterone replacement injections. wow, I was 16 again for a few years but a side effect of thinning hair. by that point the wife told me she'd rather me keep my hair than continue to attack her , lol. it's all a trade off ...

• Haha 1

I didn't read every post in here, but from what's been reported about vaping and some of it's dangers it does sound safer to smoke!

Thinning hair?  Well, my hair got thinner without the aid of testosterone supplements.  And the thinner my hair gets on my head the thicker it gets in my nose and ears!  [confused]  And the THICKER my middle gets!  [wink]

Whitefang

45 minutes ago, Whitefang said:

I didn't read every post in here, but from what's been reported about vaping and some of it's dangers it does sound safer to smoke!

Thinning hair?  Well, my hair got thinner without the aid of testosterone supplements.  And the thinner my hair gets on my head the thicker it gets in my nose and ears!  [confused]  And the THICKER my middle gets!  [wink]

Whitefang

Age is a cruel thing..... not only has my forehead turned into a fivehead, but my nose, ears and feet continue to grow....but I'm getting shorter....(and I really couldn't afford to lose much height...and the 'other' shorter is a best too!)

• Haha 1