Gibson Brands Forums

Les Paul Strings

RobFalcon

I'm a Fender guy that's crossing over to the dark side here...Just got an 88 LP Custom, and was surprised to find out that it was set up with 9's. I don't know a lot about Gibson's and LP's at this point but for some reason I thought that LP's were always a guitar to come from the factory with 10's? Or are there a lot that are set up with 9's? I've always gone by the Rule of Thumb that whatever a guitar comes from the factory with is what it's designed to have, string gauge

With the shorter scale, 24 3/4" compared to Fenders 25 1/2" & PRSs 25" .010"s will feel like .009"s to those not used to the less tension that the Lesters create..

If it's setup for .009"-.042" & you like that gauge that's what I'd put back on it, If not whatever you prefer is what it should get..

I like Nickel because it's softer than the frets & has a warm tone to boot..

Our Nighthawk came from Gibson in 2013 with .009"s & it's action is SWEET!!

Got .010"s on the Blueshawk & am not sure what I'm gonna put on Red next string change either .009"s or .010"s

Have so many guitars that it takes a while to get around to changing all them strings

Congrats on the Custom Rob!! Looks amazing BTW!!

Rhubarb Red aka Red Hot Red

a2711910-f1c3-4e3f-87a3-b5d41fb416e0.jpg

IIRC it was also BB King that let Billy Gibbons try the lite strings on his Lucille & then he went on to use them afterwards.

Rev. Willy's .007" strings are available, But I never seen them in person Dunlop Rev. Willy's Mexican Lottery Brand Electric Guitar Strings

RWN0738 No. 7 Super Fine 7-9-11-20-30-38 --- Billy's Signature Gauge!

RWN0840 No. 8 Fine 8-10-12-20-30-40

RWN0942 No. 9 Light 9-11-16-24-32-42

RWN1046 No. 10 Medium 10-13-17-26-36-46

After going back/forth between 9s and 10s for several years, I finally settled on EB Hybrids.

They are 9 - 46, light top/heavy bottom. D'Addario has the same set available now too.

Coincidentally, 9-46 is the standard set for the Studio Pro I bought last year

I use Gibson Nickel Nines on both of my Lester's, and I love 'em. I have some arthritis, and it helps a lot on bends and hammers. I love the nickels for the soft feel and sweet tone. I think You could switch to tens without neck adjustment, unless Your action is super low.

Cool thanks for the input guys, the 9's feel good on it so i'm going to play these for a while and then try 10's for the hell of it, i just hope 10's dont buzz a lot because the action is pretty much as low as possible with these 9's

Archived