Gibson Brands Forums

What would you ask Robert Plant?

Rabs

So I have a friend around at the moment...

He just mentioned to me that someone he is currently working with, her brother is going to interview Robert Plant soon (obviously hes a music journo).. So knowing im a fan he aske me, seriously, what would I ask as the guy that's doing the interview isn't hugely knowledgeable about Percy or Zeppelin....

My first thought was, don't talk to him about Zeppelin :) we all know how he gets annoyed about that.. UNLESS we can come up with a clever question that he may find amusing or something? After that I know hes usually very in to what ever his current project may be so its probably good to ask him about that.

So over to you knowledgeable people...

What would you ask Robert Plant?

And theses will actually be passed on to the interviewer so, go for it :) See if we can come up with something smart to ask him.

I would ask him to release the demos he made with The Band of Joy back in the late 60s. I heard a track from it once, it was some GREAT blues

Interesting one.. I will put that on the list (after maybe looking into it a bit myself) [thumbup]

His latest album is "Lullabye and the Ceaseless Roar" and what I hear is a very radio-friendly 'world music' sound with everything quantized far too much. There is total computer editing throughout this record - I can't express it any other way - though much of the actual music is beautiful and his vocal lines are good and melodic considering the limited range he now pitches everything in. The guitar is not the most prominent instrument on it.

The interviewer should listen to Plant's solo albums. There are about 12 now. "Manic Nirvana" has a great opener and "Mighty Rearranger" is IMO a very good record. After that he should have a few questions to ask!

[thumbup] B)

I would ask him about his singing voice.

* Are you precious about your voice?

* Are there things you specifically do or DON'T do in the days or hours prior to performing or recording?

* When you take the stage, are you always hungry, or can you actually sing with some food in you?

* Was there ever a period in time where you couldn't hit the high notes?

If so, how did you get past that?

Do you ever sing songs in a lower key now?

* Did your voice get you a lot of tail back in the day?

Stuff like that.

[smile]

The interviewer should listen to Plant's solo albums. There are about 12 now. "Manic Nirvana" has a great opener and "Mighty Rearranger" is IMO a very good record. After that he should have a few questions to ask!

[thumbup] B)

Yeah, that was my first suggestion.. Robert quite rightly wants to be recognised for stuff he did after Zeppelin from a music artist point of view.. and you cant blame him.. But still.. Zeppelin Rocked, its hard to get out of that shadow :)

Stuff like that.

[smile]

I wonder if that's just taking it one step too far :) not sure hed appreciate that or not.. Id say if you were to ask him such a question youd better know your facts about music and singing....

The other stuff about what he does to prepare for a performance is pretty good idea though [thumbup]

I wonder if that's just taking it one step too far :) not sure hed appreciate that or not.. Id say if you were to ask him such a question youd better know your facts about music and singing....

The other stuff about what he does to prepare for a performance is pretty good idea though [thumbup]

I myself DO know my facts about music and singing.

That's why I posted the questions I did.

Or, to be more precise, I do know those facts about music and singing as they apply to me, my bandmates, and my musical friends who play and sing in bands.

In order:

* Am I precious about my voice?

Not precious enough. I don't do scales, and I don't drink lemon tea with honey before each gig.

* Are there things you specifically do or DON'T do in the days or hours prior to performing or recording?

I myself (and my bandmates and musical partners) generally eat lightly a few hours before a gig, and we don't eat until after the job is done.

* When you take the stage, are you always hungry, or can you actually sing with some food in you?

I am always hungry.

I can't sing with a belly full of food.

a. Yes.

b. I worked hard at it.

c. Occasionally.

We do The Lion Sleeps Tonight now in the key of E, whereas we used to do it in the key of F.

* Did your voice get you a lot of tail back in the day?

Not particularly, in my case.

But I turn down more than my share nowadays.

I asked those questions because, as a player and singer myself, I wanted to know what would be Robert Plant's response to those questions.

I think that is only fair.

I'm not being flippant, I'm being honest.

:mellow:

OK, I'd ask the following:

1) If you weren't a singer in a band, what did you want to become?

2) If you could meet anybody, who would it be and why?

3) If Robert Johnson were still alive today, what would you say to him?

4) Is there any type of music you refuse to listen to?

5) What is your least favorite Led Zeppelin song and why?

Thank you Mr. Plant.

I think that is only fair.

I'm not being flippant, I'm being honest.

:mellow:

I think maybe you misunderstood..

When I said youd better know what you are talking about, I meant the person interviewing him... Not you :)

And from what I heard he doesn't know so much about the technicalities of music and or singing...

I think maybe you misunderstood..

When I said youd better know what you are talking about, I meant the person interviewing him... Not you :)

And from what I heard he doesn't know so much about the technicalities of music and or singing...

I understand, Rabs.

And no hard feelings or hurt egos here.

I honestly think that even a novice journalist could ask those same questions and not get a rise out of Mr Plant.

He's been interviewed thousands of times over the years, and he has probably heard it all.

In my band, we take pride in doing Led Zep songs, though the girl singer and I take turns trying to sing the Robert Plant high bits.

(It'll wear your voice out quickly, boy oh boy!)

[crying]

Rabs just one thing from the Tmanator: Robert (or Bob if apropo) is that falsetto (the best in the world) or is it your natural voice with an unbelievably high range?

That's it.

Thanks, over to you..........

Archived