Gibson Brands Forums

The Tax Man

Mike_L

The IRS said hello today via the U.S. Mail. They said I owe $38k on my 2013 Tax Return. From what I can glean from the paperwork, it would appear Guam never reported my W-2 even though I filed... and paid, my taxes. Of course, now its up to me to prove the IRS wrong. They are already charging interest and I see forking out for a good tax lawyer. Freaking out a little bit in the balmy western pacific...

Hi Mike L, I had a similar experience a couple of years ago. I received a letter from the Inland Revenue stating that I owed them money. The following day I received two more letters from them, one stated I owed the same amount, the other that they owed me. Turns out it had been a 'computer error' and the following week, much to my relief, they sent a cheque to me.

Hope you get everything sorted.

kind regards, Emma :)

I think Mike, you're taking this too seriously. You don't have to 'prove the IRS wrong'. Just file your same documents again. Keep all the dates as is. The IRS is typically wrong, they'll admit it. The folks working at IRS are not scholars and miracle workers, quite the opposite.

My experiences have been much worse, for much larger #s, and I've lost court cases and been tax leined for six digit figures... didn't even know it. All that was required of me, hire accountant, file documents. That nullified the lein, satisfied it. I had no idea the IRS was in such a panic over me, they had my wrong address and as such I never received a subpoena. But when I checked my credit report I found a case # on the satisfied lien and called the courthouse who showed me how to view the document online... I was shocked. By the time I learned of it, it was already history.

Archived