Gibson Brands Forums
Sign in to follow this  
brc

Thinking about building a Les Paul from a kit

Has any one on the forum built a Les Paul from one of the kits on the market?

Basically I am just looking for some thing to do as a hobby.

It would be to keep for myself so I am open to suggestions on kits, pick ups and pretty much any of the parts.

I have seen a few of them, and some of the reviews sound like there are some decent ones.

I found some kits for a 335 style also, but I am leaning towards the Les Paul model.

Want to do a killer 3 color burst on it is about the only thing I have decided on.

Thanks in advance.

Yeah man.. Go for it [thumbup]

Are you thinking of spraying it or using stains?

This guy has done some killer work with stains..

Hi Rabs,

I will spray the colors and clear.

I had a shop in Las Vegas and did a lot of refinishing of vintage guitars, and then branched out and started doing the finishes on the new custom builds that we did.

I don't do it much any more, but do refinishing for friends and myself from time to time.

I have some great colors that make a beautiful 3 tone sunburst that I am dying to use again.

Hi Rabs,

I will spray the colors and clear.

I had a shop in Las Vegas and did a lot of refinishing of vintage guitars, and then branched out and started doing the finishes on the new custom builds that we did.

I don't do it much any more, but do refinishing for friends and myself from time to time.

I have some great colors that make a beautiful 3 tone sunburst that I am dying to use again.

In that case even better [thumbup]

Ive used some spray cans before but never a spray gun.. Maybe in the future I will move to doing that as really doing it with stains is cheating a bit :) Spraying is the proper way....

Apart from that ive never used a kit, only done them from scratch... so cant advise on which make to go for but I have seen a lot of them are made from basswood.. which is okish, but I guess you wanna get some nice woods, I think its worth the extra you may pay for it.

I have heard warmoth mentioned before and they seem to do some really nice stuff..

http://www.warmoth.com/

Never did an LP, but a few years ago I ordered a Tele body, neck, misc parts/pieces, pickups, et all because I wanted to build a guitar to see what makes them work. Mine is a total POS, but I learned a lot LOL. Go for it!

001-3.jpg

I did hear from some one (can't remember who ) that those PrecIsion kits are pretty good.

The 59 Les Paul kind of catches my eye.

I have probably 5 or 6 Strats that I still have in closets and two Telecasters that were all of those were "parts casters"

Odd thing is, I don't even play any more due to a bad hand.

I am just looking for a project to keep me busy.

I am looking at the Les Paul kits and the 335 kits.

If I can, I will paste a couple of links to a couple of web sites that have some kits. with some of the customers finished kits posted.

Some of them are very nice looking.

Yeah, building from kits is a lot of fun. Precision makes well engineered kits, so you can't go wrong there. Actually, almost any kit can be built up into a nice guitar if you have the skill to overcome some of the less expensive kits' flaws. These were built from kits:

Mandolin%20full_zpsdwbe2w0f.png

EE-989%20Front%201_zps3penttuq.jpg

Just a hobby for me as well, so I take my time, no rush & I think they came out reasonably well.

Sounds like you've already got experience with finishing so you're already a step ahead of most. Yeah, go for it!

Guest Farnsbarns

I'm thinking about an es175 type kit. Any of you kit builders recomended a manufacturer?

Yeah, building from kits is a lot of fun. Precision makes well engineered kits, so you can't go wrong there. Actually, almost any kit can be built up into a nice guitar if you have the skill to overcome some of the less expensive kits' flaws. These were built from kits:

Mandolin%20full_zpsdwbe2w0f.png

EE-989%20Front%201_zps3penttuq.jpg

Just a hobby for me as well, so I take my time, no rush & I think they came out reasonably well.

Sounds like you've already got experience with finishing so you're already a step ahead of most. Yeah, go for it!

The thin line double cutaway is beautiful. Which kit is that. I would jump all over that one.

Looks great

Have you had a chance to try it out yet, or are you still in the building stage.

Looks like you may have some wiring things to finish up and throw some strings on it.

I once saw a vid of a guy doing what looked like a decent kit..

He posted a link to where he got his

http://stores.ebay.com/stupidlow/Guitar-Kits-/_i.html?_fsub=4059907012&_sid=558018302&_trksid=p4634.c0.m322&rmvSB=true

and on Amazon too

http://www.amazon.com/Saga-LC-10-Style-Electric-Guitar/dp/B001AQ0GPM/ref=sr_1_3?s=musical-instruments&ie=UTF8&qid=1436722830&sr=1-3&keywords=electric+guitar+kit

And heres the first vid where he shows you what he got with the kit

Never did an LP, but a few years ago I ordered a Tele body, neck, misc parts/pieces, pickups, et all because I wanted to build a guitar to see what makes them work. Mine is a total POS, but I learned a lot LOL. Go for it!

001-3.jpg

Dennis if you built a second example do you think you could end up with a nice guitar or did you decide you probably couldn't?

The thin line double cutaway is beautiful. Which kit is that. I would jump all over that one.

Looks great

Have you had a chance to try it out yet, or are you still in the building stage.

Looks like you may have some wiring things to finish up and throw some strings on it.

I still need to finish it up. Been pretty sick the past few months so it's been on the back burner. Not much left to do though. Got the harness built (custom switching - coil-split/coil-tap/series/parallel/phasing). Just need to install it and connect everything. There's a thread that covered what I've got done so far here...My Build

Dennis if you built a second example do you think you could end up with a nice guitar or did you decide you probably couldn't?

I will totally admit to doing a half a$$ job in fit/finish/workmanship/etc. My experiment was to find out how (mostly) the electronics work. I did keep things on the cheap with all that in mind from the outset. Should I ever decide to do another build, I'm sure I'd be a bit more meticulous. I'm kinda following the info on ES175 kits. With all the guitars I own, I pretty much have my bases covered, but that one intrigues me.

Guest Farnsbarns

I will totally admit to doing a half a$$ job in fit/finish/workmanship/etc. My experiment was to find out how (mostly) the electronics work. I did keep things on the cheap with all that in mind from the outset. Should I ever decide to do another build, I'm sure I'd be a bit more meticulous. I'm kinda following the info on ES175 kits. With all the guitars I own, I pretty much have my bases covered, but that one intrigues me.

DG. Let me know if you find a good es175 kit. I haven't done a lot of research but most of them seem to turn out to be semi hollow when I dig deeper. I'm not worried about it looking exactly like a 175 but I do want a hollow body.