Gibson Brands Forums

Lennon And J-160

Zentar

Lennon Lead On Acoustic

On "I Feel Fine" Lennon plays the J-160 on stage for the lead in the bridge. This guitar is a typical looking acoustic flat top design with a P-90 pickup at the neck. If you don't know the j-160 has an electric guitar pickup it looks strange to see Lennon playing an acoustic guitar on an all electric song.

Lennon would also use his Epi Cassino to play the same song.

Watch at 1:40:40 in the video link above.

Below you see Lennon using the Epi Cassino for this same song on stage.

Lennon On Cassino

Lennon created some of R&Rs most rockin songs playing semi acoustic and acoustic guitars using a P90 pickup. Revolution on a semiacoustic archtop and I Feel Fine on a flap top acoustic. Lennon continues to amaze me. No telling how many other Beatle rockers were the j160.

John Lennon is my God.

Love how he is chewing gum the whole time while singing. No pressure, no worries.

There will never, ever be another.

We have identical opinions. The guy was a song writing creative machine. My favorite song writer of all.

He loved his 160. The one that was stolen is being (has been?) auctioned off at Christies.

Great video! Did you notice the lack of any monitors? I don't know how these guys were able to harmonize, I heard Paul say that they practiced using Lennons right arm, his strumming arm as the visual time piece. The harmonies came off the that. The J-160 was built with laminated woods to help control feedback and really had that great chunk chunk sound that Lennon perfected, IMO the best rhythm player of all time,In his biography Many Years From Now. Paul tells the story of how for Johns 21 st birthday he and John took their guitars and hitchhiked across France playing for money and girls of course, this was the same time that George took a vacation and visited his sister in the states, just before they released their first EP in GB How would you like to have been one of the lucky people who gave them a ride?

Lennons 1st j160

Lennon is the best rythem guitarist despite the longer body of work from Keith Rihards whom I a big fan of. Both are great players.

There are picks of the J160 that replaced the first one that was stolen that still show the twin holes drilled in the top as Lennon moved the P90 around to try different sounds. Twice he moved the pickup.

1436938301[/url]' post='1676233']

Lennons 1st j160

Lennon is the best rythem guitarist despite the longer body of work from Keith Rihards whom I a big fan of. Both are great players.

There are picks of the J160 that replaced the first one that was stolen that still show the twin holes drilled in the top as Lennon moved the P90 around to try different sounds. Twice he moved the pickup.

Sometimes when I hear the quote of Lennon saying Ringo wasn't even the best drummer in The Beatles he may have been referring to himself!

Sometimes when I hear the quote of Lennon saying Ringo wasn't even the best drummer in The Beatles he may have been referring to himself!

There is a funny interview with Paul where the interviewer asked him about several caustic remarks by Lennon. Paul replied: "That's John".

Archived