Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson 1959j200

Rollingecho

We 'think' of J200s as 17" bodies but I'm pretty sure they're 16-3/4 or some such. I've got two at home, never thought to measure them... I call 'em 17s even though it might not be exact.

Wood binding? Wow. Someone went nuts.

What's the deal on it? New acquisition? Selling? Just curious?

I bought it for 1000 (knowing it wasnt original )because I thought it sounded like an old j200 I played years ago ..but it has light strings and I'm nervous about putting heavy strings on it ..I don't know if I'll keep it

If you're nervous about the condition of the guitar, get it inspected by a knowledgeable luthier. There are a lot of string options other than "heavy" or "light" strings, and a lot of variations in between.

My wife's 1960 J-200 has the orange label with the "A" prefix serial number. But is also has the FON on the neck block which starts with the letter "R". So you might take a look inside. Your guitar should have a number on the neck block although starting with an "S"

While I do not want to foul up anybody's hopes of acquiring the guitar from you, if it does check out as a 1959 even with a poor refinish you got an excellent deal at $1K. The last 1959 J-200 to show up on my door step for sale carried a price tag of $7K. It was 100% stock and in extremely fine condition with its original case. I would say your guitar, assuming it needs no major repairs, would still be valued at more than double what you paid for it.

If it were my guitar I would take it and have it checked out. At what you paid for it you still have plenty of wiggle room should some repairs be needed. You can probably have them done and still come out to where you would not take a bath on it should you decide to sell. If it were me though, I would keep the thing. If you asked a Magic 8 Ball what were the odds of finding another late 1950s J-200 at $1K it would say "Chances Are Not Good."

Archived