Gibson Brands Forums

recording: There's Destruction In This Land

J-Doug

For those who are curious, yes this is the same recording I posted on Saturday and then took down. Truth is I struggled enormously with this song and this recording. As suggested earlier I should probably just re-record it but with my family life the way it is right now I don't think I ever will. I'm lucky I got it recorded at all. Maybe I just shouldn't share when these recordings don't go very well but if I did that I'd never share them.

Reverend Gary Davis' There's Destruction In This Land on a Gibson J-45 recorded with a Zoom H2n. From an arrangement by Woody Mann with the third chorus arranged by me.

https://soundcloud.com/tripleohdoug/theres-destruction-in-this-land

J-Doug, you really should keep working on this. You have the technical part down.

If we don't extend ourselves by taking on songs that are outside our comfort zone or beyond our perception of our skills, we never get better.

I wish I could play this song half as well as you do.

The song is not there. I guess you took it down? I hesitated for very long before starting to post my own songs. I knew of my shortcomings, but posting here is a great way to get valuable input from others. So if you took the song down because you weren't happy with it, please reconsider.

Lars

J-Doug, you really should keep working on this. You have the technical part down.

If we don't extend ourselves by taking on songs that are outside our comfort zone or beyond our perception of our skills, we never get better.

I wish I could play this song half as well as you do.

Hi Nick,

Thanks for the kind words. I am still working on this song as part of my repertoire. It is improving but I'm having problems getting it to flow once I start alternating the bass. If I can find the time once it is more ready I may try another crack at it. Life is kind of a mess right now (my wife is in West Africa for 2 months working on Ebola response so I'm looking after our kids and the house full time, my Dad is undergoing chemo, my uncle is in hospice with end stage lung cancer) so I have very small windows of time to record.

The song is not there. I guess you took it down? I hesitated for very long before starting to post my own songs. I knew of my shortcomings, but posting here is a great way to get valuable input from others. So if you took the song down because you weren't happy with it, please reconsider.

Lars

Hi Lars,

It was a bad link. It should be working now. Thanks for the encouragement BTW.

Good stuff!

A Gibson guitar, but a CF Martin shirt. You are walking a tightrope around here :-)

Lars

Thank you very much for the kind words Lars! You're not the first one to comment on that pic around here. If it's any consolation my cat destroyed that shirt.

Thank you very much for the kind words Lars! You're not the first one to comment on that pic around here. If it's any consolation my cat destroyed that shirt.

Actually, I think there is plenty of love on this forum for Martin guitars. The same is true for Gibson over at the UMGF.

lars

Actually, I think there is plenty of love on this forum for Martin guitars. The same is true for Gibson over at the UMGF.

lars

IMHO Gibson and Martin are the two iconic American acoustic guitars. I love both equally.

Nicely played, Doug. Couldn't get it to play earlier today. Glad I went back this evening and tried again. Keep doing what you're doing, my friend. [thumbup] [thumbup] .............And definitely lots of love for Martins on this forum. [thumbup]

Thank you very much!

Archived