Gibson Brands Forums

Band Reforming

Tman

Hi Tman, now that sounds like a good time [thumbup] mmm whiskey on the rox, sorry couldn't help myself :lol:

kind regards, Emma :)

[thumbup][biggrin] Exactly, but if up to me, it'll be Whiskey on the Roxx!

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Such great stuff here and thanks to all contributions (notice I avoided who or whom contributed). Maybe surf pup can tell me which is correct!

Who in this case. [biggrin] Unless you've had a few too many martini and rox! [thumbup] Best of luck in this new (old) project! Looking forward to hearing it progress.

Who in this case. [biggrin] Unless you've had a few too many martini and rox! [thumbup] Best of luck in this new (old) project! Looking forward to hearing it progress.

Thanks man! I typically substitute "he" or "him" to see whether who or whom is right but it just didn't work for me this time. [unsure]

First practice with Tall Bill is this weekend. If anything good, I'll post. [thumbup]

Auditioned the drummer yesterday and as he put it, he auditioned us, and it didn't go well. Actually it was bizarre. He was good and I thought we clicked at first. We took a break and he asked to speak to me in private. He told me that he couldn't play with our female singer because she couldn't keep tempo. He called his wife and then told us he couldn't play with us and he didn't realize we were a "band". My advert said in the first line we were reforming a band. He packed his stuff and left. Like I said, bizarre. I've been playing for a long time and I was always under the impression that it was the drummer that kept the tempo but maybe I am behind the times?

Back to square one..........still no name either.

Auditioned the drummer yesterday and as he put it, he auditioned us, and it didn't go well. Actually it was bizarre. He was good and I thought we clicked at first. We took a break and he asked to speak to me in private. He told me that he couldn't play with our female singer because she couldn't keep tempo. He called his wife and then told us he couldn't play with us and he didn't realize we were a "band". My advert said in the first line we were reforming a band. He packed his stuff and left. Like I said, bizarre. I've been playing for a long time and I was always under the impression that it was the drummer that kept the tempo but maybe I am behind the times?

Bummer. I've had those weird auditions though. A band I had once auditioned a singer who didn't know most of the words and just made crap up. He said he preferred that to having a lyric sheet since he could "perform" that way. It was awful. Seems weird about the drummer though. Maybe he meant that the singer had timing issues and was not in sync with his rock steady beat. [lol] Better off without him if he wasn't feeling it - but sucks to be back to square one.

Bummer. I've had those weird auditions though. A band I had once auditioned a singer who didn't know most of the words and just made crap up. He said he preferred that to having a lyric sheet since he could "perform" that way. It was awful. Seems weird about the drummer though. Maybe he meant that the singer had timing issues and was not in sync with his rock steady beat. [lol] Better off without him if he wasn't feeling it - but sucks to be back to square one.

Thanks SP. I left out a lot of details about how there was friction between them from the get go. Best that we found out early. He wrote me this 2 page email yesterday about how if I and the bassist (singer's husband) would leave her behind we could have something really great. I didn't respond. [crying]

Big Black never had a drummer.

I don't think Stella Peel does, either.

Just sayin' Possibilities exist.

We talked about that. We may just use a drum machine! Steve, our bassist, called the former drummer for his old band Rox and asked if he'd be interested. He wants to start a Sabbath tribute band. I thought, "Hell, I'll do that" and our vocalist has the range to hit Ozzie notes but she's just not that interested. We'll see.

Phil Rudd's available, but you'll have to rehearse at his place for a while at least.

Would you mind asking him? Tell him we'll do what it takes to accommodate his needs. [scared]

T-Man, after reading this and subsequent posts I'd say that drummer had "issues" beyond what he was claiming. I hate it when folks make up stuff and are unwilling or afraid to tell the truth.

During the first two years of our originals band the rhythm guitarist up and left- took his toys and went home as it were. Thus proceeded a month of auditioning rhythm guitarists who could at least sing back-up vocals. Holy crap we had a time! It was so dang difficult to tell prospective hopefuls the truth, but worth it in the long run IMO. One guy I still see from time to time, almost always greets me as "You're the guy who told me I wouldn't fit in your band!" Thats right, bub! And he STILL ain't in a band himself!

I feel for ya- I trust you'll find the right person and this will come together. Hang in there, man! GOOD drummers and keyboardists seem very hard to find...

Brian

We talked about that. We may just use a drum machine!

We did that. Didn't think three old 70's band guys would do it, but we did. Too much trouble with our two regular drummers, so we worked at it a few weeks and then spent a few years gigging that way with the drummers filling in when they could. It worked really well for us.

rct

T-Man, after reading this and subsequent posts I'd say that drummer had "issues" beyond what he was claiming. Hang in there, man! GOOD drummers and keyboardists seem very hard to find...

Brian

Agree he has issues and it's for the best. Our singer told me he took her aside (was a divide and conquer kinda guy) and said she should concentrate on singing like Amy. I said "Winehouse?" and she said "No, Grant". I said "Who is that, you mean the religious country singer"!?

You are right, keyboardists and drummers. Between the 2 positions, I sent out 62 emails on band mix. 4 total responses and he was the only one who wanted to give it a go.

We did that. Didn't think three old 70's band guys would do it, but we did. Too much trouble with our two regular drummers, so we worked at it a few weeks and then spent a few years gigging that way with the drummers filling in when they could. It worked really well for us.

rct

Good suggestion. You got the old 70's band guys right. Hell, maybe we will try it if it worked for you guys. Did you import backing tracks or prerecorded drums tracks into a digital player?

Good suggestion. You got the old 70's band guys right. Hell, maybe we will try it if it worked for you guys. Did you import backing tracks or prerecorded drums tracks into a digital player?

We had an Alesis, and a Boss DR-880. We would take it home and program it up for whatever song we were tasked with. I did mostly the Boss, I use one in my studio so I'm pretty familiar with it. We'd all use the same kits and eq and stuff, we'd arrange the song as per how we did it and how we agreed to do it, throw in some fills and accents. Try it out next week and if it worked move on to some more. That way we had a few songs a week done ahead of time and always had something to work on to keep us going. A couple times we took the Boss out completely unrehearsed and did fine!

Left and Right out to PA, eq'd it over there.

Today I sit down with headphones and write an entire song with a DR-880 and the entire drum track first.

rct

We had an Alesis, and a Boss DR-880. We would take it home and program it up for whatever song we were tasked with. I did mostly the Boss, I use one in my studio so I'm pretty familiar with it. We'd all use the same kits and eq and stuff, we'd arrange the song as per how we did it and how we agreed to do it, throw in some fills and accents. Try it out next week and if it worked move on to some more. That way we had a few songs a week done ahead of time and always had something to work on to keep us going. A couple times we took the Boss out completely unrehearsed and did fine!

Left and Right out to PA, eq'd it over there.

Today I sit down with headphones and write an entire song with a DR-880 and the entire drum track first.

rct

Very cool rct. I use Toontracks easy drummer (which is outstanding) on my computer. I suppose I could do it the same way then play the drum track over the PA as an mp3.

So you took Bruce Springsteen out, unrehearsed, with you guys and it worked? Damn, I thought you were big cheese New Jersey way but I had no idea that big [rolleyes]

Very cool rct. I use Toontracks easy drummer (which is outstanding) on my computer. I suppose I could do it the same way then play the drum track over the PA as an mp3.

So you took Bruce Springsteen out, unrehearsed, with you guys and it worked? Damn, I thought you were big cheese New Jersey way but I had no idea that big [rolleyes]

HaH! Opened for him at Richard Lees, centuries ago, he was just getting through contract disputes and Born To Run was still a local radio single and the record was finally out, I'd say I was almost 16.

Richie Samborra and his new singer were there that night too. Richard(use the nickname) Lees was a happenin spot in South Jersey back then.

I missed both Roy and Danny, the two greatest guitar players ever from DC when they played that joint.

rct

Archived