Gibson Brands Forums

What would you have done?

jannusguy2

So, here's the scenario. Back in April, I see a nice guitar I like on Reverb. I reach out the the seller and, after some back and forth, make a deal. I'm gearing up to get his info and get him paid when he comes back and informs me he's changed his mind about the sale. I roll with it although I'm not pleased but what are you gonna do? Been there myself as a seller. So, I said, please keep me in mind if you decide to sell again. Well, I see it for sale again yesterday evening and I reach out and remind him of our conversation back in the spring. I point him to the negotiation thread we engaged in and reminded him of the numbers. I let him know I was still good for it and ready to go. I agreed to cover shipping and Paypal fees so that he would net out the price he needed. I called Paypal this morning to verify my math was correct before sending him the funds. Got the number and sent the funds. I get a message back from the seller within the hour taking me to task for shorting him $2.95 in the transaction and it was done in a rather rude tone. This was a $3600.00 Martin. He demanded that I either send him the additional $2.95 in a separate transaction or he would refund what I had sent so I could resend it with the $ added. I thought about it for a few minutes, remembered that I have a dozen really sweet guitars scattered around here and shot him back a note saying please refund. When the refund came through, I sent him a note to say I was going to pass on the purchase due to his rude and accusatory tone. He flat out accused me of trying to rip him off for $2.95 on a $3.6K transaction. A little voice in my head said, if you buy this guitar and there's an issue with it, what then? I think I dodged a bullet. What would you have done?

The guy is clearly a wacko, but my reaction would have depended on how much I wanted the guitar, and how fair the deal was to both parties. I certainly wouldn't kill a deal for $2.95 if it was a good deal to start with.

Wasn't a great deal and wasn't a horrible deal. There will always be another guitar..was actually happy to tell the guy to pound sand when it was all said and done. I have since been regaled with emails calling me a cheat over $2.95. Some people. Sheesh.

I think you are just going to have to live with the fact that this guy, for whatever reason, just does not seem like you. Hey, don't worry. If you have that much expendable cash to spend on a guitar you can be my friend any time.

Well, the feeling was mutual after this encounter. Although, I'm not sure what "like" has to do with a business transaction. To chase away a $3.6K sale over $2.95 seems pretty, well, stupid, to me. Whatever, plenty more geetars where that one came from...

Key point being that you have a spare guitar, or perhaps 2, and can tell him to jump.

Something smells fishy, $2.95 really? Maybe report him to save others the trouble - $2.95 doesn't even do it for my old boss, so he probably got a higher offer?

BluesKing777.

Key point being that you have a spare guitar, or perhaps 2, and can tell him to jump.

Something smells fishy, $2.95 really? Maybe report him to save others the trouble - $2.95 doesn't even do it for my old boss, so he probably got a higher offer?

BluesKing777.

I don't think so but maybe. He really seemed chuffed at the shortfall and was adamant that I was trying to cheat him. Really, it was almost surreal. Nothing to report to any admin. that would make any sense. I'll sit back and watch how long his guitar sits there and poke that badger with spoon when it's all dusty from being a wallflower. There's a shxtload of $3K and $4k guitars languishing on Reverb and Gbase no matter how special their owners think they are..

You're dead on with your chess move. Don't know what that behavior is, except to say that some people require drama with their human interactions. You never know if you would have been adequately protected after the money was in the seller's acct. It would at least have been an exercise in frustration.

You're dead on with your chess move. Don't know what that behavior is, except to say that some people require drama with their human interactions. You never know if you would have been adequately protected after the money was in the seller's acct. It would at least have been an exercise in frustration.

Good point!

After a couple of surprises on Ebay years back, I look at the nice pics and vids and Reverb and Bay and.......

But I only end up buying from one particular shop right here, or Elderly. The local shop charge like wounded bulls, but they are very good. Elderly also charge like wounded bulls, but they have the odd vintage guitar that I don't see here..ever...and an important point for overseas buyers, they have the paperwork properly organised for ...eek....Customs and they pack and send well. Last time was about 3 days on Fedex and a reasonably 'straight through Customs' of 2 days, except it got cleared on Friday Afternoon, so...no movement until Monday. Still, incredible - couldn't have got it quicker by Space Shuttle, I don't reckon.

Enough going on with all that stuff, without a looney seller!

BluesKing777.

I think it means he didn't really want to sell, again! Even so, to be rude like that over 3 bucks, not cool.

This is probably close to the truth. Why not just say that, though? And, why continue to email me accusing me of subterfuge after the deal is dead? Not that I really give shxt about that. I can give as good as I get.

Good point!

After a couple of surprises on Ebay years back, I look at the nice pics and vids and Reverb and Bay and.......

But I only end up buying from one particular shop right here, or Elderly. The local shop charge like wounded bulls, but they are very good. Elderly also charge like wounded bulls, but they have the odd vintage guitar that I don't see here..ever...and an important point for overseas buyers, they have the paperwork properly organised for ...eek....Customs and they pack and send well. Last time was about 3 days on Fedex and a reasonably 'straight through Customs' of 2 days, except it got cleared on Friday Afternoon, so...no movement until Monday. Still, incredible - couldn't have got it quicker by Space Shuttle, I don't reckon.

Enough going on with all that stuff, without a looney seller!

BluesKing777.

Before the fuss results in a deleted thread, I meant to point out the one big advantage of living and buying guitars from overseas - for Customs, guitars need paperwork in every known form so the 'guitar thieves' usually say no to overeseas buyers to avoid any scrutiny. How's that?

Nothing to do with anything except dodgy sellers fighting over $2.95 for dubious reasons...

As far as this 'Guitar Deal Gone Wrong", maybe the seller was a former crack pusher who thought JannusGuy was trying to rip him off. That's the only logical explanation for someone getting upset about $3 our of $3thousand - when they're trying to sell something they don't want! Even weirder, the seller actually returning the $3,000.00, expecting to get a replacement payment of $3,002.95.

JG, you did right to walk away from that guy. I would have run. It's like those cheap "B" Horror Movies where the young couple hears a chain saw in the woods - and have to go investigate in their pajamas. NO.... you run in the other direction. Or drive until you find the bridge is out and have to stay at the castle.

And - Yes Sparky - it was Not Humorous to use the actual internet to ridicule it's inventor.

So, here's the scenario. Back in April, I see a nice guitar I like on Reverb. I reach out the the seller and, after some back and forth, make a deal. I'm gearing up to get his info and get him paid when he comes back and informs me he's changed his mind about the sale. I roll with it although I'm not pleased but what are you gonna do? Been there myself as a seller. So, I said, please keep me in mind if you decide to sell again. Well, I see it for sale again yesterday evening and I reach out and remind him of our conversation back in the spring. I point him to the negotiation thread we engaged in and reminded him of the numbers. I let him know I was still good for it and ready to go. I agreed to cover shipping and Paypal fees so that he would net out the price he needed. I called Paypal this moo rning to verify my math was correct before sending him the funds. Got the number and sent the funds. I get a message back from the seller within the hour taking me to task for shorting him $2.95 in the transaction and it was done in a rather rude tone. This was a $3600.00 Martin. He demanded that I either send him the additional $2.95 in a separate transaction or he would refund what I had sent so I could resend it with the $ added. I thought about it for a few minutes, remembered that I have a dozen really sweet guitars scattered around here and shot him back a note saying please refund. When the refund came through, I sent him a note to say I was going to pass on the purchase due to his rude and accusatory tone. He flat out accused me of trying to rip him off for $2.95 on a $3.6K transaction. A little voice in my head said, if you buy this guitar and there's an issue with it, what then? I think I dodged a bullet. What would you have done?

I think you would be within your rights to post the Reverb link so that we can all take a look at the goods. To make a better assessment of the situation [wink]

What would I have done? If I had "a dozen really sweet guitars scattered around here", I wouldn't spend my time on sites like that in the first place. But that's just me…. :)

What would I have done? If I had "a dozen really sweet guitars scattered around here", I wouldn't spend my time on sites like that in the first place. But that's just me…. :)

Perpetual G.A.S.! It's my cross to bear..and I know I'm not alone!

Archived