Gibson Brands Forums

RIP Tiny

jrplefty

Singer/songwriter Tom Skinner passed away last night. While I'm not overly familiar with his musical catalong he has been very influential on many of the musicians I admire, and I have been exposed to him through these musicians. Here is a link to one of his tunes I really enjoy.

jr--You may find this interesting. This is from a newsletter from Chris Maxwell from Baton Rouge, Louisiana. Chris is a folk music concert promoter and former record label owner who released four of Tom's CDs:

"Rest in Peace, Tom Skinner....

It is with a heavy heart that I share the sad news that our Okie friend TOM SKINNER has passed away. One of the greatest songwriters and friendliest voices in all of music today, Tom was one of the pillars of Red Dirt Music. In the late 80's Tom took his band SANTE FE to Nashville. After awhile the band split, but the lead singer stuck around and hit it big.....GARTH BROOKS. Tom preferred a slower life. A life filled with music and friends. I met Tom in 1995 while looking for a place to host an IAIN MATTHEWS concert. Liz and I enjoyed his music so much that we started Binky Records. We made four CDs for Tom. None sold well, but all of them were special. In his later years Tom dealt with failing health. Despite this, he continued to perform. I saw a pic on Facebook just last month of Tom performing at his "Science Project".....a weekly event that attracted the finest Red Dirt artists. Tom passed away surrounded by friends who sang with him and to him until he crossed over on Sunday evening. Tom is survived by a son, a grandson and a grateful music public. Rest in peace, old friend."

RIP. He was the kind of person who kept the music alive. Not only for himself, but for many others. Never met him and only knew of him through some songwriter acquaintances I've met on the internet. They said things like "this guy makes you want to go out and perform somewhere and write songs." If you're a songwriter of any degree, this is probably the kind of guy you're drawn to.

Archived