Gibson Brands Forums

New (old) tape echo unit

Dub-T-123

Hey ladies and gents. Thought you guys might like to see this Maestro Sireko tape echo unit that I just picked up.

This was basically the budget model of the EP-3 Echoplex (made famous by Jimmy Page etc). Basically you can think of it like Sireko : EP-3 Echoplex :: LP Junior : LP Standard

It's pretty much the same as the Echoplex but doesn't have the sound on sound mode and has a different tape cartridge. It sounds absolutely beautiful (of course)! I'm still kinda learning the ropes with it, but I'm very excited to play with this awesome unit. It really sounds great!

89224EAA-E161-4CD4-AAFD-555F03C5E6B6_zpsvrcc1q4g.jpg

BBB22425-EAC3-47BF-9496-926262BE5A8A_zpsgxm4dbb8.jpg

Thanks guys. I'm real excited about getting this

My band mate had the real deal back in day. Freaking awesome,,, nice find.

I've come real close to getting an echoplex off eBay but always miss it or the bidding goes too high. Luckily I got this for really cheap, and it has all of the tape echo glory and also a great sounding preamp that you can crank up for some overdrive. I'm having tons of fun, but I will need to do a bit of work on this before it becomes gig-able

I loved the sound of Echoplexes for the speeding up feature which Tommy Bolin used so well; also Steve Miller's "Jackson-Kent Blues" from the 70s.

Good score!

Actually the motor doesn't speed up. The tape moves at a constant rate and the record head slides closer or further from the play head to alter the delay time

Thanks Rabs. Yeah I've collected several pieces of vintage gear this year and love all of it. This tape unit is just too cool though! I love watching it work and it sounds unlike any pedal. So great!

Actually pretty much all of the effects that Gibson/Maestro produced are really cool. If you see any Maestro gear at a price that you can afford just buy it!

Thanks Rabs. Yeah I've collected several pieces of vintage gear this year and love all of it. This tape unit is just too cool though! I love watching it work and it sounds unlike any pedal. So great!

Actually pretty much all of the effects that Gibson/Maestro produced are really cool. If you see any Maestro gear at a price that you can afford just buy it!

Did you see that old record player in a suitcase I found a few weeks ago.. This was just sitting on top of a cupboard at my parents house... Has no power chord so I cant test it yet but I will hopefully get that sorted at some point. Very cool, the top of the case are speakers and it has a radio and tape deck too [thumbup]

DSC_1448_zpsps9vqrdx.jpg

DSC_1436_zpsjsgqatfo.jpg

Nice!

Didn't Mr. Blackmore use that in front of his Mash Alls? Maybe? Or not, maybe.

rct

Hey bud. I don't know really. I think I've heard that he used the EP-3 echoplex which is the most similar model to what I have here.

Did you see that old record player in a suitcase I found a few weeks ago.. This was just sitting on top of a cupboard at my parents house... Has no power chord so I cant test it yet but I will hopefully get that sorted at some point. Very cool, the top of the case are speakers and it has a radio and tape deck too [thumbup]

DSC_1448_zpsps9vqrdx.jpg

DSC_1436_zpsjsgqatfo.jpg

Yeah I saw that. Looks pretty cool. Should be really easy to add a power cord

Actually the motor doesn't speed up. The tape moves at a constant rate and the record head slides closer or further from the play head to alter the delay time

[thumbup] Sorry that's what I meant - it's such a simple and brilliant idea - you'd never find that on a British tape echo, they used multiple heads (as you know!).....

Similar. He actually used a reel to reel tape deck that he modified to act as an echo. It gave him a preamp that he liked and a constant short echo... article about it here if interested

Interesting. Since reel to reel tapes usually use a wider tape his unit may have had a higher fidelity echo than what you'd get from an echoplex. The tape transport system probably minimized wow and flutter as well

[thumbup] Sorry that's what I meant - it's such a simple and brilliant idea - you'd never find that on a British tape echo, they used multiple heads (as you know!).....

It is a wonderfully simple and effective idea. Just before I found this I was bidding on a pair of WEM Copycats. Have you ever played with those (British tape echoes)?

It is a wonderfully simple and effective idea. Just before I found this I was bidding on a pair of WEM Copycats. Have you ever played with those (British tape echoes)?

Yes I had one for quite awhile - the standard solid-state Mk IV I think which everyone had. I had to replace one of the record heads; eventually the motor got too noisy and the sustain pot malfunctioned. I replaced it (briefly) with an IC400 which was IMO not well built so that went too, and since then I've gone back to analog delays. I still have everything but the Copicat in this pic!

oldstuff.jpg

That is super cool. How is the delay time adjusted on that? It doesn't look like any of the heads move. Does the motor change speed or do you just select a different play head?

I see you have the shin ei tornado/siren/noise thing. Nice haha. At first I though it was an Ibanez fuzz wau

That is super cool. How is the delay time adjusted on that? It doesn't look like any of the heads move. Does the motor change speed or do you just select a different play head?

I see you have the shin ei tornado/siren/noise thing. Nice haha. At first I though it was an Ibanez fuzz wau

Knobs L-R are output vol, sustain (feedback) and gains for each input. The 3 white buttons beneath turn the 3 play heads on the right on and off so you have short/med/long delay ('long' is around 400 ms I think) or combinations. The IC400 was a later version with about 30% fast/slow adjustment. They had a good sound - you lose a bit of treble - but the motor is on all the time and so they get noisy and like all tape delays need care and attention.

I think the Fulltone TTE is the most hi-spec tape delay now and probably the highest-priced...I'd love one but wouldn't use it enough.....are there any other tape delays in production?

My Shinei pedal is badged Rose-Morris on the front so not the rarest one. 1st pedal I ever bought, I thought the wind/surf noises were incredibly cool when I was 16 and still like the wah!

[thumbup] [thumbup]

Knobs L-R are output vol, sustain (feedback) and gains for each input. The 3 white buttons beneath turn the 3 play heads on the right on and off so you have short/med/long delay ('long' is around 400 ms I think) or combinations. The IC400 was a later version with about 30% fast/slow adjustment. They had a good sound - you lose a bit of treble - but the motor is on all the time and so they get noisy and like all tape delays need care and attention.

I think the Fulltone TTE is the most hi-spec tape delay now and probably the highest-priced...I'd love one but wouldn't use it enough.....are there any other tape delays in production?

My Shinei pedal is badged Rose-Morris on the front so not the rarest one. 1st pedal I ever bought, I thought the wind/surf noises were incredibly cool when I was 16 and still like the wah!

[thumbup] [thumbup]

Very cool. If you've got any similar vintage gear I always like to ogle

Fulltone actually recently released their copy of the EP-3 solid state echoplex recently so that should be even more reliable. Those are great units but very expensive.

I'm not aware of any other current production tape echoes. Obviously there are several digital emulations out now, like the Strymon El Capistan, but doesn't look like anyone else is still playing with tape. Personally I want to see someone build a legit copy of the Binson Echorec

Personally I want to see someone build a legit copy of the Binson Echorec

Italo programmed 2 or 3 presets in his add on libraries of the Echorec for the Eventide. If you have one of the big boxes, the add ons really enhanced my Orville. Echorec is one of the big favorites and makes everybody say 'Oh, it does classic sounds too'...

Archived