Gibson Brands Forums

Dunlop EP101 Echoplex Preamp Pedal

PelhamBlueFire

dunlop_EP101_echoplex_preamp_01.jpg

This very easy-to-use pedal is designed to recreate that subtle effect the Echoplex preamp created back in the day. It literally has one knob that controls the amount of gain. I have this pedal on my pedalboard, and I have placed it directly in front of my drive pedals. What I have come to notice, however, is the fact that this pedal reacts fantastic with both my distortion and my overdrive pedals, but really chokes the life out of my Fulltone Soulbender (S2). Does anyone know why this happens?

The sound gets really muffled and there's a slight decrease in volume, whenever these two pedals are combined. The Echoplex Preamp makes your sound fuller and fatter, even when playing strictly clean. So does this pedal act like a compressor of sorts? Because, I thought I heard fuzz pedals and compressors can sometimes make for a rough marriage, especially when the fuzz pedal in question produces noise.

Does anyone around here own the Dunlop EP101 Echoplex Preamp? And if so, I'm very interested to hear what you can share with me. As I said, I use this pedal quite a bit. Yet, I never understood why this thing doesn't get along with the Soulbender.

Cheers

Have you tried putting the Soulbender first in the chain? Fuzzes often work best there. If that doesn't work - and you really want to keep both - you may need to run them on separate switchable loops.

I got one when they first came out but sent it back to Musicians Friend within a day because it didn't seem to have enough volume to it. Now maybe something was wrong with that one I received but I had to turn it up to almost 8 (on a scale of 1-10) to get it back to the level of my signal before I even turned the pedal on. So for me instead of doing what I felt a pre-amp should do, it seemed to drop the volume unless it was turned up 3/4ths of the way. I didn't feel it was worth the asking price to only gain a couple notches of more volume. I was disappointed especially given what they're charging for them. I dunno.... I guess I'm not being helpful here at all.. sorry... moving along now... [blink]

I got one when they first came out but sent it back to Musicians Friend within a day because it didn't seem to have enough volume to it. Now maybe something was wrong with that one I received but I had to turn it up to almost 8 (on a scale of 1-10) to get it back to the level of my signal before I even turned the pedal on. So for me instead of doing what I felt a pre-amp should do, it seemed to drop the volume unless it was turned up 3/4ths of the way. I didn't feel it was worth the asking price to only gain a couple notches of more volume. I was disappointed especially given what they're charging for them. I dunno.... I guess I'm not being helpful here at all.. sorry... moving along now... [blink]

Again I'm not sure how accurate this is, but the original circuit was a preamp for a delay. Not a massive boost. It's not supposed to be super loud

The use of the echoplex preamp seems to be pretty overrated. People bought it for the echo not the preamp

The use of the echoplex preamp seems to be pretty overrated. People bought it for the echo not the preamp

Yes, yes this. Another mythical thing that just got repeated on the internets and accepted as true. You put anything in front of 8 12 inch speakers pushed by a dimed 100 watt English amp and it "preamps" great! The delay of it stood up to the volume, most reverb pans couldn't do it, so people liked the Echo machines. Pants flappin good times.

rct

I kinda think that they just left the preamp in the chain when they weren't using the echo because it's easier to just turn the mix knob down than switching all of the cables. It would also make more sense to do it this way because the footswitch was a poor design that added tons of noise.. So for the best operation you just ditch the footswitch and use the mix control to bring the echo in or out.

This leaves the preamp always in your chain, and probably not because it's magical but just because it's the easiest/best way to use an echoplex. The idea that this pedal will somehow give you the magic sound is silly, and I think echoplex owners know that

Again I'm not sure how accurate this is, but the original circuit was a preamp for a delay. Not a massive boost. It's not supposed to be super loud

Yeah, I have to confess I bought it because I had already bought the Wampler Faux Tape Echo (with tap tempo) prior to purchasing the Echoplex Preamp. To its credit, you do get a nice fatness to your overall tone. So, I really like to use the pedal as a lead boost. It works great with both my Tubescreamer and my Rat distortion. So, I'm not getting rid of the thing. Still, you're right about the reason why I bought the pedal in the first place. It was on an impulse, clearly. Aside from the fact that it doesn't get along with the Soulbender, it's a nice pedal that I really like to have in my chain. I don't leave it on all the time, though. As I said, it's just there to give me a boost.

That's really weird. I only notice this, whenever I turn my amp way down (to spare the neighbours [woot] ). If my amp is on a decent level, I never have this issue.

Archived