Gibson Brands Forums

J45

Giromiglia

Hi guys,

I'm new here as I registered after I became a owner of a beautifull J45 custom rw 2 weeks ago. I love this guitar and I can't put it down ( ok that's honeymoon eh eh).

In your experience how often should I change the battery of the LR Baggs pick-up ? Consider that I gig very rarely, sometime 3/4 months between one gig and the other.

Thanks for your kind attention and help.

Max

A year seems a good estimate. Approx. 1000 hrs is a heck-of-a-lot-of-playing...and that's just when you're plugged-in. I used to hate changing the battery on a guitar like the J45. I'd grown accustomed-to the electronics in cutaways, but to tell you the truth, once you realize how easy it is, you'll do it in less than 5 minutes. At first glance it looks like a pain, but it's not. And congrats on a super guitar. [thumbup]

I've had my custom J45 over a year now and to be honest, the honeymoon hasn't ended. Still gives me pleasure every time I open the case :)

I only use it for recording with a mic and have only plugged it in once just to check that the electronics worked. I came to the conclusion that I'd leave the battery in for a year or so then take it out if I didn't use it, which as mentioned, I haven't. So your post came as a reminder to remove it, which I'll do this week.

Congrats on your new guitar, I suspect your going to love your J45 guitar forever!

Hi guys,

I'm new here as I registered after I became a owner of a beautifull J45 custom rw 2 weeks ago. I love this guitar and I can't put it down ( ok that's honeymoon eh eh).

In your experience how often should I change the battery of the LR Baggs pick-up ? Consider that I gig very rarely, sometime 3/4 months between one gig and the other.

Thanks for your kind attention and help.

Max

To each his own, but the first thing I did when I bought my used 2007 J-45 was to have the Baggs + battery removed and replaced by a K&K Pure Mini. It's passive, meaning no battery but it still puts out plenty of volume, and I like the sound better than the Baggs.

Looks like a beauty from here. No complaints on this end. As for the battery, depending on how often between gigs, I'd consider putting a fresh one in before the show and taking the "used" one to power something less important -- like a smoke detector. (Just kidding.) Seriously, though, why risk the chance of running out of juice in the middle of a set?

Or you could check out that K&K Mini that so many have praised. This reminds me to look into getting one myself.

Cheers!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/0ba9oktb3makuzh/foto%2027-06-15%2010%2040%2031.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ypufz9lnhsl44vh/foto%2027-06-15%2010%2041%2012.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/juq7zn187wrscl3/foto%2027-06-15%2010%2042%2052.jpg?dl=0

Above there are some more pics.

Smurfbird,

The battery does annoy me a bit BUT:

Having bought this guitar new it costed some money and now the last thing a want is to start "re working " it.

Beside that I think Gibson has done a great job with this factory installed pick-up in terms of balance and functionality that I think I can live with it.

Thanks for all your suggestion though, I'm glad I found another great place to talk about guitars ( you know, I'm also on UMGF 😊😊)

Max

Archived