Gibson Brands Forums

PIW Capacitors

Rabs

So has anyone heard of or tried Paper in Wax caps?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/WOW-Russian-Paper-in-Wax-Tone-Capacitor-MbM-Aluminium-foil-0-025uF-0-022uF-Equiv-/281748733520?

MbM Paper-in-Wax PiW Tone Capacitor, 25nF / 0.025uF (microfarad)

NOS (New Old Stock) Russian Stock

Rated at 500V

Also I was wondering.. I know what uF to look for.. but whats the general rule about voltage rating for guitar caps?

Yeah I have some caps like these. They work fine of course

500V is obscenely over powered for the application. You're unlikely to find any cap that can't handle the tiny voltage that your pickups put out.

Also there's no harm in having a higher voltage tolerance except that the higher voltage caps can become physically very large depending on the material and value of the cap

That's new to me but Russian caps are the business.

Voltage does not really matter in a guitar because most caps handle a lot of voltage anyway. The lower the voltage the smaller he cap usually which can come handy in s tight guitar cavity.

Hello Rabs!

Interesting...

However, still these are the classics: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/WOW-Russian-Paper-in-Wax-Tone-Capacitor-MbM-Aluminium-foil-0-025uF-0-022uF-Equiv-/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=281745920002

$_12.JPG

I just have no clue how a pair of them costs 10 Pounds. For that money You can buy a bucketful of them directly from Odessa. :unsure:

Cheers... Bence

Rabs, the caps from your links, this is not the most successful MBM version. Its shortcoming is a bad tightness, there are rubber stoppers in the butts, as seen, it is so-so, moisture gets eventually, properties worsen, etc. Good caps from this MBM series - these sealed (epoxy in the butts instead of rubber), they are at the left in this video (since 6.20), they are really good for sound (pleasant soft high frequencies in sound), also good for electric guitars:

The shown caps by btoth76 are also good, though their weight is more.

Archived