Gibson Brands Forums

Not impressed with new Adirondack topped AJs

vw1300

I've had my 2006 regular AJ for a year and I'm very happy with it. Still, I'm wondering if there's something better. Over the last few weeks I've played a few new AJs with Adirondack tops here at Fuller's and at Wildwood while we were on vacation. Very nice guitars all, but they seemed a little wimpy compared to my broken in AJ. I'm starting to think I'll have to find an Adirondack topped AJ that's a few years old already instead. No urgency here, just a change in thinking.

OTOH, I played a new Collings square shoulder guitar with rosewood sides/back and an Adi top - WOW! Too expensive though.

My koa AJ has an Adi top and I really like the sound of it. Also have a rosewood AJ with a Sitka top. Both are excellent acoustics. I don't know that the Adi top is louder, but it's different from the other AJ. Might (maybe) have a bit more sustain. I really don't know that I could pick one over the other. I've only had the Adi for a couple months or so, so it's still pretty new and it's getting played a lot. The Adi tone is different, but that doesn't mean it's better or worse than another top. I do like the look of the Adi spruce. Beyond that, we hear all kinds of perspectives on different woods and their tone/volume attributes, but like all of this "what guitar sounds best?" stuff, it all comes down to what we each hear and like. No matter what wood we are talking about, at one time it was part of a living tree, meaning each tree ( even of the same species) was different. For myself, I like the looks of some guitars more than others and a lot of that has to do with what shows-up in the wood: lines, grain, flaws. Things we can actually see and agree that we're seeing it. We might not agree on what looks good, but we can all see it. Sound is far more subjective. It's not like seeing something that is actually there, like a streak in the grain or a bear claw. With sound we can quite likely hear highs/lows/crispness/etc. that someone else doesn't hear or interpret as we do. Or we might hear something we consider too raspy or dark while someone else really likes the sound. I figure if I really like a guitar and it's an extension of me, then what kind of wood it's made of becomes of secondary importance....Naturally, like all this guitar stuff, it depends on the individual. Is the Adi top worth the extra price? Again, I love the looks of it, so for me it is. If someone also hears a sound they like better, then it's worth it even more..

It's more of a preference I think.

Maybe you just like the sound of sitka over adi.

Rev.Gary Davis gave away his J 200's after a short while and got new ones because he felt the sound changed .So some people like " broken in "sound others "like new" sound and a few can live with the sound of the instrument maturing over time

JC

Archived