Gibson Brands Forums

Why are some people so take back about honesty?

brc

I had to go to a drug store today to pick up my boat load of monthly meds.

As I was waiting for them to be filled, I just walked around picking up a few things. Basically just to kill time.

I had remembered I had broken one of my pair of glasses but I knew the strength so I just grabbed a pair of the glasses from one of the displays that are in the drug stores.

I also grabbed a glass case to put them in.

When they called me that my meds were ready for pick up, I put the basket full of things on the counter and he rang every thing up.

I did not pay any attention to the price as I just gave him my debit card and punched in my PIN number.

When I got home I noticed he did not charge me for the actual glasses, but only charged me for the case for them.

I called them when I saw his mistake on my receipt, and he sounded so surprised that I called him about this.

He went on and on about that has never happened to him before, some one actually offering to pay for some thing that they were not charged for.

To me it's just like stealing if you aware of their mistake and do nothing to correct it even if you have to make a return trip to the store and pay the correct amount that you should have been charged at the time of purchase.

Is this so unusual these days ?

This has happened to me before and each time I have either called them or told them about it the next time I was in the store and then paid for it.

They have to do a weird transaction in order to accomodate the already closed out retail account for the day.

That weird transaction will require the signature of several sub-managers.

That will cause questions to be asked.

The answers will get that employee in a world of kimchee.

Honesty no longer pays at either end of the honest deed.

rct

rct is right, of course.

The employees would rather that management deal with inventory shortages later on (and write the loss off as a shoplifting incident) than have to deal with the admission that they let somebody walk off with free reading glasses on their head.

The fact is, honor, truthfulness, and integrity have become lost and archaic concepts in this country.

At the risk of being screamed at, censured, and chastised for being 'too political', I'm going to speak some simple truths;

* Our mainstream media thrives-on/profits-from blatant dishonesty.

Our young people are fed lies and complete and utter b()ll$hit each and every time they turn on the tv or listen to the radio.

* Our politicians in Washington DC tell grotesque and sublimely-charming lies on a daily basis (the whole time running this country trillions and trillions deeper into debt), and the average taxpayer has started to become numb to it.

* High school kids, young people in college, and even young adults have grown to accept that honesty, accountability, and integrity mean nothing.

And they balk at you when you attempt to hold them accountable and/or expect them to be truthful.

It's ironic.

The older I get the more I value and cherish the truth.

Just as I value and cherish real guitar playing and real (not-digitally-altered) singing.

But, sadly, all of the above are scarcely ever on display.

:mellow:

I went to pick up a couple of pizzas and some mozzarella sticks. Came to around $30. I got to jaw jackin' with the people and they gave me my food and I started to leave. Then, I realized I hadn't paid. The girl was shocked at my honesty and thanked me because now she would be able to keep her job.

Honesty has gone out the back door with integrity, camaraderie, the right to an opinion, and a whole list of other things. So, when one of them comes visiting, people are shocked.

Guest Farnsbarns

F that. I am going out and looting right now. Gonna smash a window and grab a big screen TV.

[lol]

WTF? Best post of 2015. Done. Finished. Game, set, match. No contest. Game over. Cease. Goodnight sweetheart. Elvis is dead, honey.

I tried walking out of the music store with an sg under my shirt with the neck down my pants. They didn't believe me when I said I was just happy to see them.

[lol] [lol] [lol]

You did the right thing brc. Pure and simple.

I applied for a job once at Radio Shack. I was given a questionnaire with the question: are people basically good: T/F?

I said false but of course that was not the answer they wanted to hear. I felt that since the late 1970s society and people have dramatically changed for the worse.

I went to pick up a couple of pizzas and some mozzarella sticks. Came to around $30. I got to jaw jackin' with the people and they gave me my food and I started to leave. Then, I realized I hadn't paid. The girl was shocked at my honesty and thanked me because now she would be able to keep her job.

Honesty has gone out the back door with integrity, camaraderie, the right to an opinion, and a whole list of other things. So, when one of them comes visiting, people are shocked.

Maybe that is half the problem, it's just so easy to sack people for the smallest thing, people have become disposable! Yet politicians and bankers rob us all on a daily basis, but that's ok. The global economy has a lot to answer for.

Funnily enough I was watching TV program last night (here in the U.K) about slavery. When it was abolished by the British government in the 1700's, the (rich) slave owners were compensated for their loss, including David Cameron's family! The pay out was, at the time bigger than the one for the recent banking crisis! It seems that a lot of this country's "old money" was built on the back of slavery.

Ian

You did the right thing. Character, integrity, and honesty are in desperately short supply in the U.S.

In Japan these things are still in abundant supply across all generations, not just us old farts; and is one of the many reasons why I now prefer to reside here.

rct is right, of course.

The employees would rather that management deal with inventory shortages later on (and write the loss off as a shoplifting incident) than have to deal with the admission that they let somebody walk off with free reading glasses on their head.

The fact is, honor, truthfulness, and integrity have become lost and archaic concepts in this country.

At the risk of being screamed at, censured, and chastised for being 'too political', I'm going to speak some simple truths;

* Our mainstream media thrives-on/profits-from blatant dishonesty.

Our young people are fed lies and complete and utter b()ll$hit each and every time they turn on the tv or listen to the radio.

* Our politicians in Washington DC tell grotesque and sublimely-charming lies on a daily basis (the whole time running this country trillions and trillions deeper into debt), and the average taxpayer has started to become numb to it.

* High school kids, young people in college, and even young adults have grown to accept that honesty, accountability, and integrity mean nothing.

And they balk at you when you attempt to hold them accountable and/or expect them to be truthful.

It's ironic.

The older I get the more I value and cherish the truth.

Just as I value and cherish real guitar playing and real (not-digitally-altered) singing.

But, sadly, all of the above are scarcely ever on display.

:mellow:

I believe there is integrity, honor and truthfulness found in this forum. So being the optimist that I am, there is some hope for the human race after all, no matter what country we live in. [biggrin]

They have to do a weird transaction in order to accomodate the already closed out retail account for the day.

That weird transaction will require the signature of several sub-managers.

That will cause questions to be asked.

The answers will get that employee in a world of kimchee.

Honesty no longer pays at either end of the honest deed.

rct

Brother rct let someone lie to me, there's no second chance.That's one thing ole Hayden don't put up with. Over and out

4H

Archived