Gibson Brands Forums

Peter Green's 59 Les Paul

Zentar

If you can make t through the inconsequential yapping there is a nice description of Green's Les Paul from his Fletwood Mac days with all its oddities. I makes you wonder if you can really set up a guitar wrong or not.

If you can make t through the inconsequential yapping there is a nice description of Green's Les Paul from his Fletwood Mac days with all its oddities. I makes you wonder if you can really set up a guitar wrong or not.

I got a lot out of this- thanks for posting it! Reminded me that all the pedals, countless accessories and "whiz bang" toys count for ought relative to the coupling between artist and his instrument.

What's right and what's wrong? Hendrix was "wrong"- the entire way his Strat was set up- I've got some close ups of him playing and the one pup is set at a very rakish angle; one side BELOW the pickguard- other side 'normal'. Yeah, his tone came partially from the reversing of the bridge (right hand guitar played 'upside down' as it were) but THAT coupled with his touch and attack, chord voicing etc made the package many of us love.

So my vote is no, there is no right or wrong way- just different. Corny, but "viva la difference"! (apologies to those who really speak French)!

Brian

I like it, a workingman's guitar. If the price was 60k id buy it if i was well off sure.

I got a lot out of this- thanks for posting it! Reminded me that all the pedals, countless accessories and "whiz bang" toys count for ought relative to the coupling between artist and his instrument.

What's right and what's wrong? Hendrix was "wrong"- the entire way his Strat was set up- I've got some close ups of him playing and the one pup is set at a very rakish angle; one side BELOW the pickguard- other side 'normal'. Yeah, his tone came partially from the reversing of the bridge (right hand guitar played 'upside down' as it were) but THAT coupled with his touch and attack, chord voicing etc made the package many of us love.

So my vote is no, there is no right or wrong way- just different. Corny, but "viva la difference"! (apologies to those who really speak French)!

Brian

It's Vive la difference monsieur [biggrin]

Yeah he loves his old monster movies and has lame looking guitars with Boris and Bela on them. Metallica are every tool in the tool box.

They are. But man, they can play. I don't dig the wheedlie dee that is Kirk, but man, them guys can play.

rct

I wouldn't know a record of theirs if I fell over it. I remember when Lars did all the press, the others didn't talk. He'd be all about we'll never. make. a video. and stuff. Then the Johnny Get Yer Gun thing came out and they were everywhere after that. I watch them when they are on awards shows and stuff on television, I laugh at Hetfields contrived growl, but man they sure can play.

rct

I saw them when I was stationed in Hawaii. They were at the end of the tour of The Black Album. They were playing a place called the Balisdale and it is a small arena. For some reason they felt the need to turn the volume up to over deafening. I have seen The Who and they did not even play that loud. Lars is what is known as a Multi-Tool. If you have ever seen the doc "Some Kind Of Monster" it exposes them to just how large there egos are and what big jack-arses they are. I can not believe they put that out. I watched it and though "do you know how bad you are making yourselves look?"

VH1 Behind the Music Megadeth Droogie Edition. There is much said about Dave and his differences with the band. The more I learn, the more I respect what they have done.

WTF....

I click in to read about Peter Green's '59 LP and I get a metalhead lovefest!!!!

Did anyone note the title of this thread:

"Peter Green's 59 Les Paul". I really don't remember Peter doing any thrashing on that guitar.

This is about the worst tangent I've ever seen here! Wow, 3 out of 15 post actually ON topic. Focus people, focus.

There is very little footage available on YouTube featuring live Green era Fleetwood Mac. When you do see him miming along with their latest release it's clear that at least on the Les Paul he would screw the bass side of his pickups as low as possible while cranking the treble side as high as possible without touching the strings.

That guy's stuff still blows my mind.

So what's to do?

-Buy a true historic.

-Expose it for a day or two to direct sunlight.

-put the neck pickup upside down,and lower the bass side.

-Two pairs different coloured knobs.

-sand it, scratch it a bit.

-Break neck.

-Repair neck.

That's it? Then you find TONE?

So what's to do?

-Buy a true historic.

-Expose it for a day or two to direct sunlight.

-put the neck pickup upside down,and lower the bass side.

-Two pairs different coloured knobs.

-sand it, scratch it a bit.

-Break neck.

-Repair neck.

That's it? Then you find TONE?

I hear ya Mr C.O. Jones, but in order to play along...

all that PLUS the mind and touch of Mr. Green. Serendipity- a happy accident (humbucker reversed in the neck). Which did create a cool middle position tone IMO. But lets face it, Peter Green would sound Peter Green no matter what guitar he plays.

I think I understand the ...can't think of the word..."sanctity?" that some place on a guitar played by such and such "great" person, but at the end of the day I just don't buy it (or wouldn't buy it, as it were). Clapton's partscaster, other than being a tool he used for a very stellar career, doesn't have any special "pixie dust", mojo etc.

I do however believe that certain guitars "fit" us well- physically, tonally, cosmetically etc. When you find one of those, some would describe it as "mojo" or magic. And then sometimes you sell that special guitar...(!)

Let's not forget, apparently the guitar was not that special to Mr. Green.

Brian

Let's not forget, apparently the guitar was not that special to Mr. Green.

Brian

Mick Fleetwood tells a horrible story of how Green and FM's other magnificent guitarist was mentally destroyed by LSD25.

We lost a lot of great entertainers from LSD. Terrible drug that was. It wrecked the lives of many talented musical geniuses.

I don't think just taking out the pup and turning it 180 makes it out of phase. Wiring one pup with the hot to ground and ground to hot does it, or wiring it to be out of phase. Lets hear from Searcy he is a pup winder.

Yes we have had this before. One coil of the neck h/b was apparently turned round - presumably the coil nearer the bridge pup.

Mick Fleetwood tells a horrible story of how Green and FM's other magnificent guitarist was mentally destroyed by LSD25.

We lost a lot of great entertainers from LSD. Terrible drug that was. It wrecked the lives of many talented musical geniuses.

We have had this before too...resulting in personal insults, thread locked etc.

So I will post this again. This is IMO one of Green's absolutely greatest solos on that 59 Les Paul (I saw him twice with it) and this was after the LSD and the initial breakup with Mac...The LP through a Marshall with a wah. You can hear him turning the reverb on and off.

Listen....

Best wishes to all.

Yes we have had this before. One coil of the neck h/b was apparently turned round - presumably the coil nearer the bridge pup.

Actually it was the neck pickup in Peter's case. If you take a close look at his early footage w/Peter, or when Gary Moore had it, or currently with Kirk Hammett you will see the adjustable pole screws oriented the same way as the bridge pickup, and leaning slightly down toward the bridge pickup, when normally they are oriented on opposite sides (away from each other) on PAF style humbucker pickups...

You just as easily duplicate that out-of-phase condition by taking out the bar-stock magnet and then put back in rotated 180 degrees (on it's plane) making one pickup magnetically out of phase (without having to rewire or install the whole pickup in physically backwards also rewired in Peter's case) and it's even simpler to do on P90's that have the 2 bar-stock magnets, because the pickups take-down more easily than humbuckers. You back off all the pole screws slide out the magnets and put the edge that was facing out to be facing in toward the center {poles} on both magnets (you do not "flip" the long way but you can "roll" them the short way, but instead I rotate them like a pencil lying on a table one end point vs eraser is positive vs negative, you rotate that pencil until the eraser and the point trade places, you don't roll it... {this is not actually accurate as to how pickup bar magnets are actually polarized but for my explanation it will suffice} Flipping or rolling them the short way will achieve the same end but not the long way - see the attached file to understand the magnetic orientation of bar-stock magnets, and put it all back together and when the pickup selector switch is in the middle position you will be (magnetically) out-of-phase and you get the same tonal condition... Reversing the wires makes it electronically out of phase... Having no experience soldering electrical connections and not wanting to F-up my axe I chose mechanically disassembling the pickup and rotating the magnets instead of reconnecting the wiring out-of-phase. To me it was easier with less chance of screwing up my electronics. However those of you that have soldered pots and pickups and competent at that procedure will probably find it easier to simply wire them electronically out-of-phase...

Alnico_Bar_Magnet.jpg

We have had this before too...resulting in personal insults, thread locked etc.

So I will post this again. This is IMO one of Green's absolutely greatest solos on that 59 Les Paul (I saw him twice with it) and this was after the LSD and the initial breakup with Mac...The LP through a Marshall with a wah. You can hear him turning the reverb on and off.

Listen....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Tx2vypcFYQ

Best wishes to all.

And I still disagree with that being his greatest solo. Some of it is OK, it was certainly a dramatic departure from his earlier style. Some of it is just mushy and washes-out on that album. Frankly I never much liked his wah work I don't think he had the knack for it...

To each his own...

I will say this; even when he was "lost" and had seemed to have fallen off the face of the earth with his mental illness and the fallout of his drugs. He was still very prolific in the studio! He made many albums after leaving Fleetwood Mac thru the years before his re-emergence with The Splinter Group in the mid-nineties. There were some really odd happenings during that time; like The Fake Mac being put together and toured by one of the bands road managers and I can think of two potential Peter Green imposters that were doing radio and printed media interviews that were not the real Peter Green, which led to speculation that it was not The Real Peter Green that emerged in The Splinter Group, but it was...

One of those radio interviews was busted by Peter's brother (Phil or Mike, I can't remember his name right now) who called in to a live interview and called-out the guy on the radio as he had the real Peter with him in his house sitting next to him and it was quite a little uproar...

Any of his work before the end of 1970 when he left Fleetwood Mac is my favorite work of his for sure:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lyEZcDMtJRo

But there are very good and poignant post-F/M pre-Splinter work he's done that I like very much...

I do think he's done some Splinter/post-Splinter work that reflects upon his storied life and circumstances that tell that very epic tale that I find amazing: Such as his song; "

."

Even though I didn't discover Peter Green or his Fleetwood Mac until I was in my 40's, I immediately found that's what I was looking for in terms of music my whole life and it became an immediate epiphany and spiritual connection...

As for his axe, it is THE holy grail! Having said that, in my own playing I find it limiting (for me) because I absolutely love the true Gibson tone of both pickups combined in-phase more than I like it out... But I like having the option to use that out-of-phase atmospheric tone, when I want it, that he revolutionized even if he didn't pioneer it... I get that option with my custom Larry Corsa axe; "Manalishi" with its push-pull pot that gives me in or out of phase wiring instantly...

T-Bone Walker and many other originators were doing it long before Peter did. BB King even did it for a short time in his early career too in a nod to T-Bone...

And yes some of that was due to the hand-winding dynamics of early pickup manufacturing and repairs as opposed to intentions...

I will confess there is just something magic about this particular guitar in the hands of Peter Green!

Dan_Carson_P498POM_Final_Report_Sp10.doc - Dan_Carson_P498POM_Final_Report_Sp10.pdf

During the LSD phase Mick Fleetwood said Green became against making money. He simply didn't show up for a gig once so he hunted Green down after a few days and found him with a super weird commune where he was hardly able to even get near Green. He had become utterly devoured and consumed by idealism and was giving stuff away. One day he was Peter Green and the next he was consumed by confusion. The day came when there was no such person as Peter Green.

I have read where LSD mimics the brain functions of people with schizophrenia. With some individuals they seemed not to come back to reality. They would drift off and not regain who they were for years afterwards.

For Mick Fleetwood it must have been tough to see geniuses at guitar simply lose their marbles. One day their playing lead guitar and the next they are ten feet down a rabbit hole. They simply disappeared. We're probably lucky we didn't see Green perish in the early 70s. I think he even ended up in jail. I think he had a difficult struggle for years.

Thanks guys!

I still say there's no such thing a handling illicit drugs, I believe there are people that think they handle illicit drugs, but it's usually a fools fantasy!

Even pot turns people into utterly useless wasteoids and hold zero value as do people who think it's OK... In my book. (my personal belief and opinion, U don't like it GFY)

There are a couple close-but-not-quite points on the topic. I'd like to set the record

:

Both Peter and Danny were utterly lost from that moment on... Danny has never recovered and still lives in mental institutions and halfway houses to this day...

But this thread is about that guitar and I don't want to hijack it so let's get back to that guitar...

Here's the gentleman who made my unique custom guitar "Manalishi;" Larry Corsa playing the real Peter Green guitar in 2007 at the Dallas TX guitar show...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AQXw9Ir5Iwc http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FjIkl2IAC7I

He's a man who has seriously done his homework in creating custom Peter Green style Les Paul guitars both modified Gibsons and custom made from scratch...

Anyone looking for a really inexpensive (Korean made) Peter Green style tribute guitar I cannot say enough about the Trevor Wilkinson "Vintage" brand guitars and his two Peter Green inspired V100 models..

I own one of them; a V100PGM the new non-reliced gloss model:

NGD2-6-14-5_zps090dc9de.jpgIMG_3974_zps75be3012.jpgNGD2-6-14-3_zps89fd90a5.jpg

The also offered a relic "Icon Series" version that was released first before they released this gloss "Reissued Series" version...

They are sensational inexpensive guitars and they make every model imaginable; not just Peter Green or tribute guitars and not just Gibson copies...

V100PGM Vintage Reissued Series:

V100PGM_13.jpg

The V100RPGM Vintiage Icon Series:

V100MRPGM_13.jpg

They are all Retailed and serviced thru a handful of US dealers for the John Hornby Skewes & Co. Ltd. of The UK:

John Hornby Skewes & Co. Ltd.,

Salem House,

Parkinson Approach,

Garforth,

Leeds LS25 2HR,

United Kingdom.

Tel: +44 (0) 1132 865 381

Fax: +44 (0) 1132 868 515

Registered in London (No. 863562). V.A.T. Registration No. 168 8416 25.

I also have 2 other Vintage (brand) guitars; their V100GT; a GoldTop R6-like Les Paul copy and a VS6; an SG copy.

The V100Gt is my go-to axe and is my very first (of my adult post-hiatus, in my 40's era) Les Paul type guitar...

I love that axe and play it all the time even though I own a real Gibson Les Paul Deluxe now and have the Larry Corsa "Manalishi" Custom too...

I've gigged with the Vintage (brand) guitars many times and they perform perfectly.

No they're not a Gibson, but they are great guitars!

Archived