Gibson Brands Forums

Gibsons Digital guitar the HD.6X-Pro

Rabs

Well you learn something new every day...

I came across one of these on Ebay and have just been looking it up.. I WAY prefer this sort of technology than what Gibson has been doing with G-Force.. (not sure about those weird tuners though?)

pretty cool

DSC00389.jpg

DSC01158.jpg

DSC01173.jpg

http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/Les-Paul/Gibson-USA/HD-6X-Pro-Digital-Guitar/Features.aspx

Tap the Hex, Crack Open the Universe

Nominated for prominent awards in musical-instrument innovation almost immediately upon its release in 2007, the HD.6X Pro Digital Les Paul is the most advanced guitar-based digital controller ever produced. In addition to its two traditional magnetic humbucking pickups, the HD.6X Pro Digital Les Paul carries a unique new Hex pickup, mounted between the traditional “lead” position humbucking pickup and the bridge, which is made up of six individual humbucking-type pickups (one for each string), and forms the link between analog and digital in the system. Each of these six pickups in the Hex sends a signal from its individual string to the guitar’s onboard, studio-grade preamps and converters, where it is converted from analog to digital and sent down a standard Ethernet cable to a proprietary Break out Box (BoB for short, included). From here, the player can route the output to be processed externally in mono, stereo (splitting the three lower and three upper strings), or as six individual signals—one to each of six amps, one to each of six channels on a mixing desk, or wherever your imagination takes you. The HD.6X Pro Digital Les Paul’s onboard preamp system also includes a headphone output for in-ear monitoring, and a facility to return a monitor feed from an external mixer via the BoB and Ethernet cable, so you can play along to other sources.

All in all, the HD.6X Pro Digital Les Paul presents sky’s-the-limit possibilities that are maximized by its ability to tap outboard digital systems, rather than being restricted to inherently limited onboard tone-producing systems, as with other digital guitars. All this, and you still have an exquisitely crafted, traditional Les Paul with two of the world’s most popular PAF-style magnetic humbucking pickups to boot. The HD.6X Pro Digital Les Paul comes with a Gibson Digital hardshell case, BoB, Ethernet cable, and TRS cable.

Jeez Rabs - I never heard of that model whatsoever.. [blink] Oh that's right - I was still smoking weed back then ;)

That is odd but strangely cool :)

Lol...

Heres a couple of vids

I remember hearing about it and how it was an in-joke about is this finally the year they change the way guitars are played forever?

I guess the short answer is no.

Too much junk to screw up and go obsolete is how I look at it, Luddite that I am.

I remember hearing about it and how it was an in-joke about is this finally the year they change the way guitars are played forever?

I guess the short answer is no.

Too much junk to screw up and go obsolete is how I look at it, Luddite that I am.

Lud·dite

ˈlədˌīt/

noun

a member of any of the bands of English workers who destroyed machinery, especially in cotton and woolen mills, that they believed was threatening their jobs (1811–16).

a person opposed to increased industrialization or new technology.

"a small-minded Luddite resisting progress"

[biggrin]

You can still do any of that via Roland's 13 pin midi system. For example, via Bill Bax's breakout box:

http://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=2915.0

Alternatively, you could use a Roland VG99 with both 13 pin and standard guitar cables connected and run two sound streams audio and digital at the same time and split the strings in any combination you want.

I never have understood why guitar players tend to avoid this technology which strikes me as musically exciting (unlike ridiculous electric tuning pegs).

Archived