Gibson Brands Forums
Sign in to follow this  
James ODonnell

ES - Favorite Amplifier?

GibES335_21E_zpsf071cb78.jpg

Is that with a 15"? Like Wes had!

(EDIT) Not quite....I just found their site - didn't realise they are still in business. Wes had a solid-state one.

MIne is the tube version 25L15 with a 15" JBL. Made by Danny McKinney who now owns Standel. If you read the details, his amps are built to the exact specs and details of the Bob Crooks' amps of the 1950's.

My opinion -- it is the best amp I've ever played/owned. I have been playing for 62+ years.

I have a slew of amps. My 335 sounds amazing through my Hiwatt 72 DR103 & original fane loaded 4x12 Hiwatt cabinet. When I play with my band, it sounds great through my Creamback loaded Marshall DSL40C. I use that for the weight (or lack of) too.

I work with a pair of mad scientist instrumentation techs (we engage in the science of flight test for our paying 'day-jobs').

In their off-hours, these two fellows build hand-made amplifiers and custom made-to-order pedals.

My GOD what wonderful stuff they come up with.

Anyway.

If you live anywhere near Northern Alabama, let me know.

I will hook you up with these cats.

They will build you the amp of your dreams, and their prices are ridiculously low.

Pictured is an all-tube headphone amp that the boys built for me.

The wood is teak.

xtube_amp_5.JPG.pagespeed.ic.2lglK4N7ca.jpg

I knew I had seen you some where , I live in Cullman . Played a few clubs in Huntsville ^ Athens , mostly college frat house parties

4H

For me personally it's Vox all the way - I've used an AC30 in years gone by but am now using an AC15 which sounds amazing.

Saying that if I were to change to anything else it would be the Fender Twin Reverb.

My main amp is my 1964 Fender Tremolux with 1964 reverb unit through various speaker cabs. I have a Mesa TA-15 that gives me a lot of variations on Vox, Marshal, Mesa and Fender tones in a small carry around amp. I also use an old 30W Sano tube amp and even a $165.00 VHT special 6 Ultra tube amp. The VHT is a hand wired Chinese made tube amp that you can swap different tubes into. It is actually a pretty good amp for the price. I thought I would have to swap out the speaker but never seen the need.

Thanks John

One word is tough -- has a very deep/full sound, crystal clear.

Wow that Standel, really something. I am kinda speechless at the moment. If you had to describe that amp in one word, if you were to name that amp something other than 25L15, what word first comes to mind?

For me its something like Plush or maybe Paradise.

The 25L15 has a 15" speaker. It is the same model Chet Atkins used for all his recordings starting in the mid/late `1950's

Is that with a 15"? Like Wes had!

(EDIT) Not quite....I just found their site - didn't realise they are still in business. Wes had a solid-state one.

Smaller Fenders are my personal preference. I use a '65 Reissue Princeton, but I'm also fond of Tremoluxes and the recent Supersonic 22s.

I have a 65 PRRI, it seems to work nicely and takes pedals well.

I would like to do at least a tube upgrade on my PRRI. I'm not sure waht to go with yet. I also read the power transformer is far from decent the those amps.

Mine kind gets a bit fratty on the bass when pushed . You need to really work the volume on your guitar to make the best of that amp.

I'm getting great tone with my Dr Z MAZ 18. 18 watts of pure magic. I'm also pretty impressed with a Peavey Classic 30. For the money ($399 on sale a while back at GC) it really packs a punch. I had a Music Man 65 watt 2 10's that was also a joy to play with. So may amps, so little money.

Mike

My first amp was a Musicman 65 watter with 2-10's. I traded it out in 1982 when I bought the last of the Fender Twin Reverbs (push pull master vol) That amp cost me $125 with the Musicman trade. I still have the Twin Reverb, but rarely use it.

After ditching out a bunch of Mesa amps that weigher 80 lbs and up, I bought the Maz 18 1x12 w/ reverb and the eq bypass. Great amp.

I also have a DRRI with I dig a lot too. I can get a lot of Fenderish tones off that Maz 18 and then depending on eq-ing and gain, get a Vox like sound too it.

Most of the time at home it's the PRRI, or a Gibson Goldtone GA 5 Les paul amp. Sometimes a Marshall Class 2 second generation combo.

I kept one Mesa amp, which is a Nomad 55 1x12 combo. Very nice. The Nomads were around for a bit, but not that popular. Back in the day, they were kind of costly and most would choose a Mark IV for a few hundred buck more. I had issues with the eq lay out when I test drove the Mark IV's. They share some controls and I found them to be a nightmare.

One amp I have also kept for over 30 years is a Marshall 4104 JCM 800 2x12 50 watter. I used pair it up with the Twin at gigs, so I had some Marshall grit and Fender cleans.

Played my AIUSA Sheraton, through my Fender Hot Rod Deluxe plus matching extension cabinet, recently.

SWEET!! Nice combination! Of course it sounds great through my Vox AC-30, and Marshall TSL 100,

as well. So...??? [tongue][biggrin]

CB

Played my AIUSA Sheraton, through my Fender Hot Rod Deluxe plus matching extension cabinet, recently.

SWEET!! Nice combination! Of course it sounds great through my Vox AC-30, and Marshall TSL 100,

as well. So...??? [tongue][biggrin]

CB

Interesting...today I played my ES175 through my Fender Super 60; I have an extension cab for that but didn't hook it up.

The 175 has P94s and neck is 10k, bridge 10.5k!

Great tones but I have 0.11 gauge strings with 0.18 plain G and it goes out of tune with more than very mild use of Bigsby.

It's my only Gibson ES. I need to play this guitar a lot more.

Yeah, I need to use that AIUSA Sheraton, a LOT more...especially with the Hot Rod Deluxe amp! SO NICE!

All kinds of sweet sustain, and buttery overdrive. The only time I used a "pedal" was for more

"grit," when warranted, and/or a different sound (chorus, Rotary, or Wah-wah). Otherwise, it was

strictly Guitar, cord, and Amp! The way I USED to play, all the time, back in the '60's! LOL

CB

I played my original 1998 Gibson ES-335 through an old late 70s Fender Twin Reverb amplifier. I remember that combination of the guitar and amplifier being rather bright and clear sounding. I had that amp from the 1980s through 2006 when I sold it (for $600). I should have kept it. But, if I had to choose which amp - I'd go for the Twin Reverb - mostly for my own nostalgic reasons. Here's a picture of my amp in 1999. Warm candles made it sound better.

Fender_Twin_Reverb_Candles_1999_02_zpskmac0wcy.jpg

Fender_Twin_Reverb_Candles_1999_03_zpsvye0due4.jpg