Gibson Brands Forums

New Zero Fret Nuts?

scottpaine_69

Ok! I along with others have posted about the original Zero Fret Nuts on the 2015 models haveing some issues. 1st is the ping 2nd is that the strings cut grooves into it in a very short amount of time. They are brass and brass is a pretty soft metal. A replacement Prototype nut was sent to me and others. Well! The first one I recieved had smaller slits for the strings to go through eliminating the ping sound. It was still a brass color and some of the prototypes were still getting grooves cut into them buy the strings. Well I just recieved a new Prototype nut that has smaller slits like the 1st. replacement but it is not a brass coler it looks like it's made of the same material that the actual frets on the guitar are made of. Does anybody know what this New Prototype nut is made of? I'm also wondering if it is going to change the tone of the guitar and if so, would it be for the good or bad? So does anybody out there have one of the shiny chrome looking Prototype 2 zero fret nuts on there guitar? Just want to know if it's better or worse than the brass replacements. Just to be clear I'm not switching out the Zero fret nut for a bone nut or any other. I'm Keeping the zero fret nut setup on my guitar. I douse it for adjustments on my action for differant string sizes and ultra low tunings for differant projects I'm working on. That's one of the reasons I bought a 2015 Gibson Les Paul Classic. Thanks in advance.. Scott.....

Is there any reason why they wouldn't use stainless steel? I would think that would wear well.

It would also cause string breakage at the nut like crazy, since it's harder than the strings, and is a friction point.

-Ryan

Such a good idea that it hasn't caught on yet... but 2015 is the year of the zero fret, yeah? Let us know how the install of the after market stewmac version works out on your other guitars. Just be sure to tap tune that 0 fret to ensure it's a good one.

Mine works fine. In fact Stew Mac is already ripping off the idea so looks like it's here to stay for a while.

http://www.stewmac.com/Materials_and_Supplies/Nuts_and_Saddles/ZerO_Glide_Nuts.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVRetjbYVUM

Except Stew Mac did it the right way; use a real fret and a regular nut; not some ugly piece of brass. I think more people could get behind it if Gibson did it like Stew Mac. Removes the "height adjustability", but let's be honest, anybody who's serious about their tone doesn't want their nut balancing on a pair of little screws.

-Ryan

Except Stew Mac did it the right way; use a real fret and a regular nut; not some ugly piece of brass. I think more people could get behind it if Gibson did it like Stew Mac. Removes the "height adjustability", but let's be honest, anybody who's serious about their tone doesn't want their nut balancing on a pair of little screws.

-Ryan

Yea, cause what's wrong with guitars today is that there isn't enough tone making plastic on them. :rolleyes:

Guitar players don't care much about tone. 95% of their buying decisions are based on looks and looks alone. Anyone who serious about the playability of their guitar will be happy to have an adjustable nut.

There's nothing wrong with having your string terminate on metal that balances on two little screws. In fact guitars players usually insist that their string end this way at the bridge. Take a look at the TOM or every single saddle on a Strat or Tele. Yet they get their panties in a wad if it happens at the nut. " I'm really serious about my tone so I insist that these 6 notes be produced by a $.02 hunk of plastic and I want every other note on the guitar to terminate on a metal fret!"

Guitar players are silly. [biggrin]

Yea, cause what's wrong with guitars today is that there isn't enough tone making plastic on them. :rolleyes:

Guitar players don't care much about tone. 95% of their buying decisions are based on looks and looks alone. Anyone who serious about the playability of their guitar will be happy to have an adjustable nut.

There's nothing wrong with having your string terminate on metal that balances on two little screws. In fact guitars players usually insist that their string end this way at the bridge. Take a look at the TOM or every single saddle on a Strat or Tele. Yet they get their panties in a wad if it happens at the nut. " I'm really serious about my tone so I insist that these 6 notes be produced by a $.02 hunk of plastic and I want every other note on the guitar to terminate on a metal fret!"

Guitar players are silly. [biggrin]

I am of the thinking that the nut and saddles should be made of the same material...

not steel on one and plastic on the other.

the same material....

Those zero fret jobbies aren't exclusive to Stewmac- they've been around for some time. I was annoyed to discover them 18-odd months ago because I had the same idea and got all excited about it. Found these as I was preparing for a patent search! Damn! Stewmac has only just started to range them, and I'm going to try one out on my Dot Studio.

Archived