Gibson Brands Forums

1989 Gibson Les Paul Standard

gocalf

Hey Guys!

I've always been a Jackson man, but can finally afford my first Les Paul. I found a nice '89 Les Paul Standard and was curious about the neck type. Does anyone know if they have the 50's baseball bat, or the 60's slim??

Any help is greatly appreciated!!

So I talked to the seller and he said it's between a 50's fat and a 60's slim. I looked up the serial and it's made in Nashville so hopefully it's quality. If I buy I will post pics and spec's for other 89's Standard guys.

I hope it works out for you.I personally would never buy a guitar without playing it.I've played for a long time and played many different Les Pauls and I dont buy into the "good years and bad years" guitar thing.To me,there are only good guitars and bad ones.I have played guitars from the 50's to the modern and have found gems and dud's amongst all of them.

As far as necks go,my number 1 guitar is an 07 Les Paul(i own a 72,78,13 too)it has a 60's neck which is perfect for my hands,if you have played guitars with slim necks i would buy a guitar with these.From memory I think the 89's are bigger than slim 60's necks.Got to a local store and try a guitar with a slim 60's neck because I'm sure the 89's are bigger.

Good luck with your guitar.Again,the only advice i could give is,buy one you can play first.

Archived