Gibson Brands Forums

Hummingbird Pro Warranty...tuners

acme97

Hi,

Can I switch tuners on a new Gibson acoustic without voiding the warranty? I just prefer tulip (or keystone) buttons, and I found Grovers that I can switch out without having to make an extra screw hole in the back of the head stock.

I'm mindful of the warranty because I want to keep an eye on these Gibson acoustic bridges...I can't believe the pin holes are cut that close to the bottom of the bridge, but they all seem to be that way. So be it...but I'm watching for cracking. Or worse (but I should be ok with light gauge strings pretty sure).

Of course after the warranty expires this thing is getting a proper strap lock installed...and I'll prob switch tuners again to white keystones (which require a top screw hole and I don't want to do that right now). I just sell the other ones.

Thanks!

p.s. for the record I really like this guitar and I played a lot of models. I don't know what problems Gibson electric is continuing to have, but this acoustic seems pretty solid (except it needs a setup).

Hi,

Can I switch tuners on a new Gibson acoustic without voiding the warranty? I just prefer tulip (or keystone) buttons, and I found Grovers that I can switch out without having to make an extra screw hole in the back of the head stock.

I'm mindful of the warranty because I want to keep an eye on these Gibson acoustic bridges...I can't believe the pin holes are cut that close to the bottom of the bridge, but they all seem to be that way. So be it...but I'm watching for cracking. Or worse (but I should be ok with light gauge strings pretty sure).

Of course after the warranty expires this thing is getting a proper strap lock installed...and I'll prob switch tuners again to white keystones (which require a top screw hole and I don't want to do that right now). I just sell the other ones.

Thanks!

p.s. for the record I really like this guitar and I played a lot of models. I don't know what problems Gibson electric is continuing to have, but this acoustic seems pretty solid (except it needs a setup).

The only thing Gibson ever considered for warranty claims in the past was pretty simple. If someone did a job improperly and it caused damage to the guitar then they would deem the warranty void for that are only. As for waiting for the warranty? The last time I looked it was lifetime to the original owner.

The only thing Gibson ever considered for warranty claims in the past was pretty simple. If someone did a job improperly and it caused damage to the guitar then they would deem the warranty void for that are only. As for waiting for the warranty? The last time I looked it was lifetime to the original owner.

Lifetime in the US. I think it may be only a year or so for other countries.

Re bridge concerns, just be sure the ball ends of the strings are properly seated against the bridgeplate, and you shouldn't have any problems. You can check this with a small automotive-type inspection mirror when changing strings.

Congrats & enjoy!

Yes, I do have a mirror and inspection light...just for checking the bridge plate and stuff.

I see, a lifetime warranty. I'm going to contact Gibson directly over the phone (since it's been a week and ZERO response back by email...disappointing (Martin sure wasn't like that, just saying guys). I have lots of questions and I want a human from Gibson with a name I can pin to when I ask them.

Will let you know on this forum what Gibson has to say...thanks.

If it makes you feel any better, I've never heard anyone here report a bridge splitting because the pin holes were cut too close to the bottom of the bridge. People swap out tuners all the time. Never heard of anyone running into warranty problems because of that either. Strap Lock - I guess you open Pandora's Box. First you have the person who installed it - did they do a technically correct job? (Better get an authorized GIbson repair shop to do it), then you have the possibility of an inappropriate piece of hardware being used. And, of course, the question of whether, if the equipment were good, and the installation was good, did you mis-use it? Gibson would be the last place to look for relief if something went wrong. So - they would no doubt disavow any responsibility for any problems you have in that whole area. Maybe it would be better to just play it, and not be anticipating a myriad of warranty issues.

I HAVE REPLACED Schaller "KLUSONS "on a J200, Bird & Dove with Grovers. Lucky enough to find Grovers with metal tulip buttons.

Schallers may work on electrics, but on all 3 guitars they couldn't take a 54 or 56 and completely came apart.

They're not covered under Warranty.

I HAVE REPLACED Schaller "KLUSONS "on a J200, Bird & Dove with Grovers. Lucky enough to find Grovers with metal tulip buttons.

Schallers may work on electrics, but on all 3 guitars they couldn't take a 54 or 56 and completely came apart.

They're not covered under Warranty.

The tuners came apart? Or the guitar s came apart?

Archived