Gibson Brands Forums

Jumbo acoustic cut away?

JGarofalo3

I have been debating between a Gibson and a Taylor for a few years and finally went where my heart is, deciding I want a Gibson acoustic.

I currently use a top of the line Takamine that has served me well but enough gig money and future activities have given me extra catch and I would like to step up in class.

I really prefer cut away style to traditional and while I am sure it is just me am having trouble discerning which Gibson acoustic models are actually "jumbo"

Is the J-165 ec a jumbo?

Any assistance in identifying jumbo cut away models is greatly appreciated. Also having a preamp is important as I will be using this to perform on stage regularly.

Alsp opinions, preferences ad recommendations are aways welcome

Thanks in advance,

JG3

I have a J-165. Its a very small body guitar. Its probably not far off in size from the Taylor Grand Concert series. The advertising is/was a bit confusing (you do know they no longer make J-165's) because they tell you its same shape as a jumbo (it is) but its shrunk down.

Check the lower bout width - specs vary, but around 16" for jumbo and around 17" for super jumbo.

From what I recall, the J-165 has a 15" lower bout; the J-185 and Songwriter both are 16". All three of these have cutaway versions. I don't think Gibson offers any other cutaways from regular production models.

Cutaways have been used on various Gibson jumbo models over the years. A rounded (venetian) cutaway has been used on the J-100 model, but is most common on the J-185EC model (EC = "electric cutaway"), which is a 16" jumbo:

16740_Gibson_used_J-185_Vintage_Sunburst_10182053_a.jpg

Prior to the introduction of the J-185EC, earlier, thinner variants on the same theme were produced in the early '90s, with names such as EAS and Starburst.

Fred

Archived