Gibson Brands Forums

P90 Education needed

NHTom

Looking for info here.

What is the deal with the "staple" style P90s?

My point of reference would be a standard Gibson P90. Are the staple type hotter/colder? darker/brighter? I seem to see them in the neck mostly?

Just trying to expand my knowledge from people who have used them.

Thanks,

NHTom

I would be interested to hear also as I have a LP with stock P90s.....which sound great.

Seymour Duncan - http://www.seymourduncan.com/products/custom-shop/specialized-1/staple_pickup_r/

Quite a price for a single pickup. I don't think you can buy a new one from Gibson!

And the now out-of-production Gibson guitar they are usually seen in -

http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/Les-Paul/Gibson-Custom/1955-Les-Paul-Custom-Exclusives/Custom.aspx

My understanding (only played once) is that they are single coil but no pole pieces - the 'staple' is the magnet.

So, Zentar [wink], you probably don't want them up too high near the strings!

They 'king rock - pretty ballsy (... oh man, those limited release 54 Customs from a few years ago... [love])

My understanding (only played once) is that they are single coil but no pole pieces - the 'staple' is the magnet.

So, Zentar [wink], you probably don't want them up too high near the strings!

They 'king rock - pretty ballsy (... oh man, those limited release 54 Customs from a few years ago... [love])

Maybe you should have told Leslie West and Joe Walsh how to set pickup height. You need to listen and learn. Your yamelke is covering your ears.

When they came out they were called "Alnico Pickups". The "staple" was a square Alnico magnet that could be height adjusted using the screw next to the staple. They were a direct rip off of DeArnond DynoSonic pickups used by Gretsch. They were (and still are ) very expensive and hard to make with lots of small parts. The cool is very p 90 like.

Archived