Gibson Brands Forums

Dove NGD

cody78

Big, bad, and gorgeous instrument. For years I hesitated buying one because I thought that the maple would make it sound too bright...lol....Good God, was I ever wrong. The Dove is a monster when it comes to sound and a real Dove when it comes to fingerpicking......Pretty sweet guitar to hide behind too when you're playing a gig. You'll get lots of comments about it. Congrats on a super guitar. [thumbup]

Big, bad, and gorgeous instrument. For years I hesitated buying one because I thought that the maple would make it sound too bright...lol....Good God, was I ever wrong. The Dove is a monster when it comes to sound and a real Dove when it comes to fingerpicking......Pretty sweet guitar to hide behind too when you're playing a gig. You'll get lots of comments about it. Congrats on a super guitar. [thumbup]

Hi MissouriPicker. Thanks for the comments and yes, it sure does have a big, round, warm sound and very crisp & clear when fingerpicking. Certainly a different sound from a Hummingbird, but equally as impressive to my ears. I think it'll be a while before I gig with the Dove as I'll be quite nervous playing it in bars/ venues, so live I'll stick to my J-15 for the time being. I'll gig with it eventually though.

Btw, do you have any pics of your collection? You have some fine instruments looking at your list.

In all honesty, I had a Dove that was the best sounding guitar I owned. However, I've come to realize (at great expense) that the geometry of the guitar--and most other big boxes--is not a comfortable fit. It bummed me out. The guitar sounded beautiful, but I couldn't play it for long before tiring. It's one of several curses for those of short build and small hands.

You have a beauty. I've no doubt it's a great sounding guitar. Other guitars may sound different, but none will sound better. And, yes, you probably don't want to take that one out to the bar. The second someone asks you to check it out, you'll feel like a mother holding her infant. As they strum it, you'll be watching for their belt-buckle, their jacket zipper, the way they hold it. You'll want it back before anyone else gets any ideas and you'll never bring it out again. So, keep playing the J-15 out. And keep the Dove as your "studio" guitar. After enough time passes, *maybe* you'll feel OK about taking her out. But I so understand that feeling. They don't come cheap and there are too many careless people to let her go.

Congrats!

I love the tonal characteristics of maple.

Had a Dove back in the '70s, but it needed a neck reset & got traded off at some point. Nowadays a J-100, J-185, and a couple of Guilds very nicely cover the desire to get that tone - but taking a new Dove for a spin would be fun.

Congrats & enjoy!

Thanks for all the nice comments.

Bobouz, I do love the sound of maple back and sides too and my first Gibson acoustic was a J-185 I bought about 4 years ago (see below) and now I'm continuing the maple theme with the Dove. The only guitar I have with mahogany back & sides is an Epi AJ200e, but I can't compare that to a Gibson mahogany acoustic as the Epi has a thin and overly bright sound with cheaper materials used. I did try out a brilliant Gibson Hummingbird a while ago with a stunning sound and I do dig the sound of my Walnut back and sides J-15 too.

Here's a family pic I took yesterday with the new member [smile]

IMG_1371_zpspaaopcsr.jpg

Archived