Gibson Brands Forums

PLEASE HELP ME

Hi I bought this Gibson Nighthawk a year ago and I am still unsure as to weather this is an original gibson. How can I really find out? The guys who sold it to me had many modifications done including the mother of pearl put on the fretboard etc....the headstock looks very strange with the diamond and the logo also added to it. its been put on at the same time as the rest of the added pearl. The headstock looks as if its been glued too or maybe repaired. its not a very clean finnish at all. at the back of the headstock there is a number 92305383 made in usa.

I am not sure if this is real or whether the guy who sold it to me made several modifications.

Can anyone help me?

post-73152-015137000 1437570820_thumb.jpg

post-73152-034443700 1437570844_thumb.jpg

post-73152-005850200 1437570863_thumb.jpg

post-73152-047756100 1437570880_thumb.jpg

Hello and welcome to the Forums!

Interesting build.

The Nighthawk did not came with Les Paul Custom-style inlays. Even though, it is possible to buy LPC headstock overlays on eBay, it won't fit over the Nighthawk's heatstock (LP Custom has wider peghead). So, when You say it "seems glued on", I'd think that someone scarf-jointed a LPC headstock to the guitar's neck. To confirm this, You might send an email to Customer Service, to see which model this serial number belongs to.

The thing is, why would someone do this to a genuine Gibson? I can rather think of this being made to an Epiphone to make it look like a legit Gibson, no? Furthermore, the maple cap seems to be a veneer to me - but it might be just an illusion.

But after all, it all comes down to the following things: how much did You pay for it? Do You like it?

Cheers... Bence

Hi, thank you Bence.

How can I found out about the model? Which customers services should I contact?

I did put the serial number on a webste that said this guitar was from 1995 built in nashville? but that as far as I got.

I am new to this :)

To be honest it was pretty cheap I think arount £250 but I thought the guy wanted a quick sale. Now I am not sure.

Thank you

Hey Bence,

I wanted to thank you for your advice. After a few emails with Gibson I have found out the truth. Gibson are so helpful by the way.

I sent them many different images of the rodd cavity and the guitar from all angles. The guitar is an original Gibson Nighthawk 1995 but has been heavily modified by the previous owner. He must have been mad. I only paid about £200 for it. Well now I know... :)

Thank you for your help.

Best wishes,

Iggy

Hello Iggy.

I am glad to hear You have got the information You were looking for.

Meantime, I found out that Epiphone Nighthawks did not came with that pickup and control arrangement, nor in that color. So, I came to the conclusion that the body is a genuine Gibson.

I am curious, what did Gibson say about the headstock? Does the neck belongs to a Nighthawk? That would mean the previous owner glued on a headstock overlay. Or, does it belongs to a LP Custom? That would mean the neck got replaced.

Best wishes... Bence

Hey, yes it looks like the previous owner glued some new mother of pearl onto the original headstock as it has the original serial number at the back. Not sure as to why he made so many modifications to an origial gibson. I am glad that I contacted them as I was thinking it was a fake guitar but now I know that its all good.

Thank you for all your help.

Iggy

Well, it looks unique. If the overlay was glued on professionally, it gives a very special character to the guitar.

After refinishing the neck, You will have a wonderful guitar. ;)

You are welcome! :)

Cheers... Bence

Archived