Gibson Brands Forums

Custom Shop

Bozz

What exactly is a "Custom Shop' guitar? Are they just limited runs built on the same lines by the same people as the regular models? Or, are they actually built differently?

There is a J-45 Iced Tea on the local CL and I noticed it has an orange custom shop label. It just made me curious.

Bozz, Gibson does a lot of limited runs... say 50 or so guitars. They typically carry the custom shop designation, even though its not like you can go to a dealer and order one spec'd out guitar like you can with Martin. I believe the Iced Tea is one of these. Others include the LG2 Banner (all hog) - like this one for example:

http://www.sweetwate...detail/LS2MANNH

I think these are all on the same line as the standards.

Thanks, Sal. I appreciate the confirmation that Gibson's Custom Shop guitars are made on the same lines as their other guitars.

It looks like the J-45 Iced Tea is much like a Standard except for the tea colored burst, upgraded electronics, and open back Grover tuners. It was a limited run of 75 instruments. I am talking with the seller about a possible trade. My 2014 Taylor 414ce Spring Limited (which I'm not really in love with) for his 2015 J-45 Iced Tea (he doesnt like the neck fit).

It's my understanding that Bozeman stopped taking requests several years ago (4 or 5?) for 'one-off' guitars. Individuals had been able to order a true 'custom built' guitar based on their specs. But, the facility did not have a separate place and group of artisans building "Customs", so it was an inefficient and disruptive process. I assume they discontinued it and, to replace the spirit of the "Custom Shop", they allowed their 5 Star dealers to identify custom specs they'd like in limited runs. So, while you can't order a truly unique acoustic - chances are there will be (or was) a similar one built in a limited run. You just have to do the work tracking it down, instead of Bozeman doing the work of building just that one for you when you want it. And also, they were not being able to charge you what it really would cost when you consider they have to work around their normal production to deliver it to you when you want it. I got a CS a year ago - a J45 Custom Koa with a 'red sunset burst'. I really, really love it. I think Bozeman made a business decision that their 'market niche' is to build a limited number of unique guitars alongside their 'mass production' of standards - thereby letting the larger makers like Martin and Taylor crank out 50 times as many units, and letting the boutique builders cater to the customers who want a 'one of a kind' guitar. This is all my interpretation of events as they seem to have unfolded. Many here deal directly with Bozemand and would have better insight into the current definition of "Custom Shop".

Archived