Gibson Brands Forums

Guitar Star.. new tv show

Rabs

Wow cool...

I just happened to see an advert on telly about this new series called Guitar Star, obviously like an X-Factor for people like us :D

Im just watching the first episode now.. already way better than X-Factor (obviously)... The winner gets some HUGE pre-booked gigs and to record at Abbey Road.. NICE

AND one of the guitar mentors for the people who go through is Tony Iommi NICE :) (ohh and Rodrigo and Gabriela [thumbup] )

Not sure if you guys outside the Uk will be able to see this but here goes (all eps on Youtube (up to ep 7 at the moment)

Meanwhile, im gonna sit back and enjoy :) (that first guy on (10 mins in) is an advert for straplocks )

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mycrHqnPYXA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XGLEGgQfPrI

I just hope we get the next season of the Great British Baking Show. Got our book finally, so I'll make some really nice sponge this fall. Cheerio pip pip and all, right.

rct

What What... toodle pip :)

Yeah im sure the great british bake off will be back again... (probably at the end of August or something after summer holiday season)..

But woahhh.. ive been watching this first episode.. check this audition for something a bit different.. Whats that pedal hes using? Some kind of pitch shifter?

VERY cool show for a guitar nerd.. not just some interesting playing (they have all been pre-vetted :)) but also some nice gear on show too [thumbup]

I will check on the BBC Americur when I get home. We may get it. I do not know what newfangled noise musheen he is using, I am luddite.

rct

Actually, because I know you love it so much I just went and looked it up for you.. and this is what it said

The sixth series of the baking competition will launch on Wednesday, August 5 at 8pm on BBC One

Mel Giedroyc and Sue Perkins will return once again as hosts, while Paul Hollywood and Mary Berry will be judging the cakes, pies, biscuits and the rest.

Last year's final reached a record 12.3 million viewers as Nancy Birtwhistle was crowned the Bake Off Champion.

Indeed, the schmokin hot lime granny that I predicted would win did indeed win, indeed. I would enjoy sampling her scones. Pure competition, no bull, people cooking like they mean it. Love that show.

Do you guys get Project Runway? Or some other Eurotrash version maybe?

rct

Indeed, the schmokin hot lime granny that I predicted would win did indeed win, indeed. I would enjoy sampling her scones. Pure competition, no bull, people cooking like they mean it. Love that show.

Do you guys get Project Runway? Or some other Eurotrash version maybe?

rct

Donno.. maybe.. I don't have satellite any more only Freeview (a non subscription service)... I know we used to get Americas Next Top Model as I was forced to watch it by my ex... cant stand that crap...

Like the baking show, Runway is about making the clothes. It can be great, can be dumb. Mr. Searcy is tight with one of the competitors, so I keep a zip on my predictions. Heidi causes stiffness. I'd like to have a beer with Tim Gunn. Ok, well, all the judges cause stiffness, and most of the contestants are schmokin as well, and there I am, the only hetero in the room and they all on teevee with them...guys.

rct

Im actually on the third episode.. and wow does it get serious.. Those auditions were nothing...

In this episode the Jazz players get mentored by Lee Ritenour (If you don't know who he is, look him up) and then have to play at Ronnie Scotts, in front of an audience and being judged by Lee Ritenour and the current manager there Simon Cooke.. HARD CORE!!!

Some amazing playing too.

I don't think Ronnie himself will be doing any judging......he died in '96.

Yes thanks for that correction.. Im obviously not paying any attention to what im writing (cos im watching this at the same time :))

Ive corrected it now

Thanks Rabs, very cool show!

We haven't had it released, or even advertised here yet, so thanks for sharing.

Well its still new over here..

I bet you they are making a US version as we speak.. they would be crazy not too :)

Well its still new over here..

I bet you they are making a US version as we speak.. they would be crazy not too :)

It will suck so hard it won't be watchable.

rct

It will suck so hard it won't be watchable.

rct

Lol.. yes.. US shows tend to be a bit over dramatic even when its not necessary...

You get that booming American voiceover that makes everything sound like a life or death situation.. And they seem to feel the need to show the same clip of the mildest nothing event about 4 times throughout the show leading up to the event.. its so silly :)

Yeah that.

It's also become just another avenue for already no talent schmucks that have already cratered a record or two and just can't seem to sell one to save their lives. The kids of producers, record company executives, television production company owners, people like that. You know, they are all so talented. So they end up on these television contests that used to be about finding the next singer and all. I stopped watching and writing up Idol quite a few seasons ago, it was all ringers, all people that had their shot and sucked, back for another try while the original idea was discarded.

So it'll be Dylans grandkid and Bowies step nephew, and Lenny Kravitz probably has a slew of nieces and stuff to get on there, people like that I'm sure.

rct

I've been watching this series too (Guitar Star) :) Find out next week who goes through to the semi-final, each week I've been suprised who goes through to the next round. The episode with Tony Iommi was very interesting. [thumbup]

Also like watching 'Great British Bake Off. Never thought a cookery programme would have me on the edge of my seat, and shouting "noooooooo" at the tv, whilst watching 'the baked Alaska gate' episode :lol:

kind regards, Emma :)

Also like watching 'Great British Bake Off. Never thought a cookery programme would have me on the edge of my seat, and shouting "noooooooo" at the tv, whilst watching 'the baked Alaska gate' episode :lol:

Exactly!

We ate at Wolfgang Pucks down there in AC last night. Baked Alaska with a sparkling Moscato for desert. Awesome!

rct

Archived