Gibson Brands Forums

Paul Weller & Amy Winehouse I Heard It Through The Grapevine

Rabs

Oh come on now, "Grape Vine" was f'ing terrible. Did anybody understand a word she sang? The arrangement and the guitar solo were also terrible, it sounds to have been done by a 14 year old!!! This IS what's wrong with pop music today.

The second vid she seems apprehensive to play a three chord song. THREE CHORDS and she has to keep looking at the neck to make sure her little fingers are in the right place.

I wish no harm to anyone,.... but this woman NEVER deserved fame, success OR stardom in the music business. Had she not got it, she might be alive today, designing toasters, or coming up with the formula for running cars on H2O.

In the immortal words of an old friend of mine,.... "She should have found a different hobby"!

Well, I never understood the obsession with her, I always thought she was vastly overrated. I can recall the first time that I saw her on the Jools Holland show (before she'd had any hits) she was truly barking and looked as though she had spent the entire day on the pi**. My wife and I thought it was some kind of comedy act at first.

Ian

The second vid she seems apprehensive to play a three chord song. THREE CHORDS and she has to keep looking at the neck to make sure her little fingers are in the right place.

To be fair, Elvis, Bob Dylan, Johnny Cash and many other 'greats' also struggled to play 3 chord songs, so Amy Winehouse certainly wasn't the first who probably should have avoided playing in public.

Having said that, I like Elvis & Johnny Cash, was never too sure about Dylan and I wasn't a fan of Amy either.

It's strange how certain character traits and flaws can be seen as genuine and rock n' roll or whatnot in some turning them into icons, but reduces others to worthless human beings. Oh well, I'm the same I suppose, and all said - I never cared much for Winehouse either. Though some of the tracks I've heard on the radio were pretty good but could have been sung by anyone for all I care.

As for Weller, I much prefer him doing his own stuff whether it's The Jam, Style Council or his solo work. His latest couple of albums hasn't done much for me, but he's an old favourite any way.

Hmm.. interesting reaction..

Ive always thought she was a great singer... a unique voice and she wrote most of her own material kinda in the stlye of some of the original female Jazz singers..... As for being shy on stage, as mentioned she was just one of those who wasn't a natural and was pretty nervous (neither were Hendrix or Morrison at first)... And while she was also not a great player, I think it was good enough to play on stage and sounds good in that video.

Maybe I see more in what her possible potential could have been more than anything.. Remember she was still at the start of her career and died so young...

I like Amy, love her voice, and before excess she was a pretty girl and yes she plays some but I don't care if she can't play all the scales and play with her teeth..music is about feel and passion not about who can play the fastest .....such a light and yes in the later years you can see the effects of abuse....shame but truth is musicians and entertainers make only a small portion of people who ruin their lives with excess.....

I like Amy, love her voice, and before excess she was a pretty girl and yes she plays some but I don't care if she can't play all the scales and play with her teeth..music is about feel and passion not about who can play the fastest

As indeed she says in her own words in this vid [thumbup]

Oh come on now, "Grape Vine" was f'ing terrible. Did anybody understand a word she sang? The arrangement and the guitar solo were also terrible, it sounds to have been done by a 14 year old!!! This IS what's wrong with pop music today.

I wish no harm to anyone,.... but this woman NEVER deserved fame, success OR stardom in the music business. Had she not got it, she might be alive today, designing toasters, or coming up with the formula for running cars on H2O.

In the immortal words of an old friend of mine,.... "She should have found a different hobby"!

I recon this is like the line AXE® used to use is "You know her name, but she probably didn't know yours"

Amy Winehouse certainly was produced to become a star. I really liked her music and appreciate what went into building her sound, which was unique and retro at the same time. Even her charisma was polished and refined. She was destined for more. And she inspired other copycat styles like Gin Wigmore.

I can't for the life of me understand what it takes to make a person dope up and check out, especially our superstars. But so many of them do it, Sublime front man. The heat of the limelight. Success. Escapism. Darkness.

RIP Amy.

Archived