Gibson Brands Forums

Es335 just not gelling with it

turtle

Hey guys. Just traded a les paul 1998 classic goldtop for a 2009 Es 335 cherry. Guy actually bought it in may 2015 from a dealer New nos. He has another LP and decided he needs a back up over an Es guitar. He spent good $$ for it and we did an even swap. Not knowing too much about Es guitars but always wanted one I accepted especially knowing I would make my $$ back better on this deal. It is a great guitar but Im just not feeling it. Is there anything you guys can tell me about them that would help me get the most out of it? Also, any advise on if I should try to get the old guitar back? Or, finally do I sell it on my own or trade it? It's mint and I have receipt with date. I can call gibson to register as I would be the original owner. I don't know what to do :(. Thanks for your help. I know from looking online I at least increased my value in the trade bi I'm a player, not a dealer. I want something to inspire me and nice to play. I'm not looking to make $$ or anything like that. Cheers

When you say you are not feeling it, do you mean in terms of sound or feel or both?

This is the thing with guitars, they are all slightly different.. You could sit and try out 50 335s and maybe only get on with 10 of them, 20 of them or not at all you may have to try more to find your 335.. Theres no real way to tell other than playing them....

If its just the sound you arnt happy with that can be an easier fix.. If its the neck and feel you don't like then all I can say is maybe keep at it for a bit and see if you change your mind after a few weeks of playing... Sometimes the bond isn't always instant or obvious...

Only you can call that one..

If it is sound though you could try some different amps or if you tend to use lots of gain, back that off a bit... try playing with the tone and volume controls (sometimes you can be surprised at how much difference it can make)...

My advice is to play it and play it and play it some more before you make your final decision.

It's a different animal than a Les Paul and it's going to feel weird if that's what you're used to.

If you can get used to the 335's size after a bit the Les Paul will feel dinky by comparison.

Thanks guys. I want to LOVE it. I just don't. Do I approach it different?

As I say.. what exactly is it that you arnt liking? The sounds or the way it feels? Also what sort of music is it you play?

You know theres also a few smaller body semi hollows like the 339 and 336 and the new Midtown Standard that's just come out.

Hi Mr t...

You are not alone in finding less than instant rapport with an ES335.... :blink:

Many players 'acquire' the taste for semis various over years of playing and listening

Listening to great 335'ers like Eric Clapton, Larry Carlton, BB King can help in focussing on 'what you want' from the instrument

Solid body guitars like the Les Paul and countless others produce their signature tones differently to a 335 or similar semi

Gain levels and EQ settings can take much playing time to optimise

A 335 played straight in to any amp can sound muddy and disappointing initially

Intrinsically the 335 is one of the most 'versatile' guitars on the planet and IMO has a timeless 'archtop' beauty

Worth sticking with in case the gel occurs in due course

Or selling on if not....

V

:-({|=

A Les Paul it is not. Its a bodacious obnoxious loud mouth overblown ego attention getter... crybaby jealous woman type, doesn't like you playing other guitars, sneaks out at night like a gremlin, whispers subliminal messages while you dream, that one day it will make you her own. Have you lappin it up, rubdowns, footrubs, nutlubes. She wants it all.

Thanks guys. I want to LOVE it. I just don't. Do I approach it different?

Yes I think so. And think I may know what you are trying to get at. Perhaps it's not jumping back at you like you hoped it might.

First get your favorite string gauges on it but I'd say no heavier than 0.10s. Then give yourself a whole afternoon with it, an amp and a couple of your favorite pedals in an area where you can turn it up so it begins to feed back slightly. Begin to find out what it does there. The sound and feel, especially on chords is just...different. When playing in the mid position at that volume experiment with rolling the neck vol off a little. You must have this guitar on a strap whether standing or seated and get it comfortable.

The other thing is the pups. If you do decide to change them keep the originals.

A Les Paul it is not. Its a bodacious obnoxious loud mouth overblown ego attention getter... crybaby jealous woman type, doesn't like you playing other guitars, sneaks out at night like a gremlin, whispers subliminal messages while you dream, that one day it will make you her own. Have you lappin it up, rubdowns, footrubs, nutlubes. She wants it all.

+1 and spot on. Give her a chance and she'll win you over.

Thanks guys!!! Yes I played it first. It seemed nice. I was playin pick-less through a Jtm and getting some Mississippi Bo-Wievel going. When I brought it home I felt like I was choking it or it was choking. it has 11's so I appreciate the lower gauge as I usually play 10's as that's what usually come on gibsons and feel great. The 11's don't seem to much different than my other gibsons that have 10's. Maybe swapping to tens will be the trick. These seem a little dead too. Thanks and keep you all posted;). To be continued.........

it has 11's so I appreciate the lower gauge as I usually play 10's as that's what usually come on gibsons and feel great. The 11's don't seem to much different than my other gibsons that have 10's. Maybe swapping to tens will be the trick. These seem a little dead too. Thanks and keep you all posted;). To be continued.........

Well yes, first step would be to put on the same strings you use on the LP for a more direct comparison of what the 335 can do that's different. Then play with pickup height, pole piece adjustments, amps & settings, etc. Lots of room to tinker & find the sweet spot.

Many folks start out playing LPs, and eventually discover that you can't get enough of hollowbodies. The LPs fade away, and then comes along the sheer joy of P90s - enter the ES-330, and so on!

That's why I love this forum. I'm totally excited now!!! Thanks you guys. I have a p90 LP goldtop and love me some p90s. You find the 57s good in these? Higher or lower? My les Pauls I like lower. Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

My 2-cents, for what that's worth, would be to have it set up, exactly like your favorite "Les Paul,"

in string gauge, string height, pickup height(s), and see if that helps, at all, by getting a more

familiar feel, to what you are already accustomed. Beyond that, getting the amp dialed in, for a

semi-hollow body, as opposed to the solid body LP, is another thing to try. Shouldn't be too difficult,

as they do share some very similar tones. But, the 335 will have a rounder (some say "woodier") tone,

that can be enough different, to require both some amp tweaking...and, "Mind" tweaking, as well, to

get used to the differences, as well as the similarities.

As has been mentioned, PLAYING IT, a LOT...maybe even exclusively, for awhile, will do wonders. It's

really the only way to truly "fall in love" with the feel and tone. IMHO, as always.

Cheers, and Good Luck! [thumbup]

CB

Lots of good advice given. I too just recently traded one of my LP for a ES335. I had three LP's and thought why not give the 335 a try. Like you, it was an even swap. Like you, I wondered if I had made the right decision. Well, after a set up with my choice of strings, half wounds, and playing the 335 everyday for month, I came to the conclusion that it is one of the best sounding versatile guitars I own. I am totally in love with the size and easy upper fret access. I played one of my LP's last night for the first time in a month and it felt small and uncomfortable. Don't get me wrong I love my LP's, but if I had to give up either an LP or a 335, the LP would be down the road. I believe if you just play the heck out of your 335, you probably will have no regrets.

Kenny V

Guys. You all rock. And yes- after playing mine for a few weeks it's actually morphed to my body and is a part of me now. I cannot believe the tones and dynamics it possesses. I'm so happy and I can't even pickup my les Pauls. Thanks all for the encouragement and advise. Much love 💚

Cheers

Turtle

• 4 weeks later...

I'm new to playing ES-335's. I've played Les Pauls for many years then became a Tele guy for the past five. I've found that using the amp settings I used for the Tele suited the 335 much better than the amp settings I used for the Les Paul.

• 1 month later...

Guys. You all rock. And yes- after playing mine for a few weeks it's actually morphed to my body and is a part of me now. I cannot believe the tones and dynamics it possesses. I'm so happy and I can't even pickup my les Pauls. Thanks all for the encouragement and advise. Much love 💚

Cheers

Turtle

nice,

It took me a while to get used to the body size of my Gibson ES 335 dot. Mine has 57 classics in it.

The dynamics are killer, on the ES 335. I would say it's a bit more airy and responsive than a Les Paul, or at least the Les Paul I have. You don't need that much gain to make it sing like a violin.

Once if gave it some time my Les Paul and SG kind of felt like a toy. The upper fret access is great.

I had a Rickenbacker 330 ( which I still have) before the ES 335 and I like that too. Down the road I have purchased a couple of Gretsch's and another Ricky 330 12 string. I also have a ES 135 with 57 classic in it.

I'm glad you gave it some time, because in my opinion it was way worth it.

My fav guitar in Gibson line up, even though the Fender Tele is my grab and go.

• 2 weeks later...

Awesome !!! I am a big Tele guy too. Just upgraded my old LP standard + to a g0 les paul reissue. Still jiving my 335. Funny- I threw new strings on the LP and I decided to bring down my 335 and play that. Lol. Having an issue with the volume treble pot though. Seems to be intermintant. On a side note IF I decided to rewire it, would you guys recommend 50's or modern wiring in it. I believe it's modern wiring now.?..... Thoughts?

Side of a side note- not gellig the grovers either. Was going to go klusion as all my other gibsons and ️️fenders spot those. Thoughts? Thanks guys

Hey, it's your guitar, do whatever makes YOU happy! You might just have a defective pot, or solder joint.

Easily taken care of, by a new one! IF you rewire it, "I" would go '50's wiring, myself. But, that's just ME!

As to the Grover's? Never had an issue with them, personally. What specifically, do you have an issue with?

Looks, weight, performance (or, lack thereof)???

CB

Honestly they just have a looser feel. They are definitely more sensitive. I just am used to the gibson deluxes/klusion is all. My les paul has 50's wiring and it's different for sure. Less volume with more tone knob = less tone knob roll off. Did that make sense?!?! Lol😳

... My les paul has 50's wiring and it's different for sure. Less volume with more tone knob = less tone knob roll off. Did that make sense?!?! Lol😳

I don't like the 50's circuit, just have to live with it on my two volume/one tone pot Gibsons, but you described it just the way it is. [thumbup]

I don't like the 50's circuit, just have to live with it on my two volume/one tone pot Gibsons, but you described it just the way it is. [thumbup]

Yeah Cap! In this Geetar im gonna keep wiring stock. It sounds too good to mess with it. I fixed the pot and everything 100% go! I have a friend who just put Grover locking on his 339. He's giving me the klusions for my 335. Pics next week! Cheers

Archived