Gibson Brands Forums

Pickup for '49 LG-2

Monggee

Looking for a good pick up for my '49 LG-2. I don't tour with it as of now and I would rather not modify it in any way so I was thinking that a sound-hole pickup would be preferable. LOVE the natural tone (best sounding LG Ive played) so anything that picks up as much the tone of the body is a plus. LR Baggs M1 and M80 seem to have good reviews. Thoughts? Thanks!

I like my ( Bill ) Lawrence soundhole PU for my L00 and L0, a similar body size to the LG, and have back and forthed it with my guitar mic setup with good true tone replication so I guess the pickup isn't drastically effecting the top's resonance. I think if I had to buy another though, I would buy the model with the adjustable poles, as I have to rotate and set it at the right angle to even out the brightness and volume across the strings.

My son has an M80 in his Taylor GSMini that he gigs with. Awesome pickup.

However, for the ultimate in minimally invasive pickups, I say just get a K&K pure mini under bridge pickup.

They sound natural, and it's passive. You can go straight into an amp, or you can go through a preamp. I just put one in my D35, and I also had one in the SJ I just sold. Check the reviews; you won't be sorry.

Best soundhole pickup I have used was a Dimarzio DSP-39. Good luck finding one though - they were dropped from production about 5 years back. When the do pop up prices are through the roof and they are still snapped up on the spot.

Generally I just stick with the old Dearmond 210s. But it sounds like like you want an active pickup that senses the body or possibly has a mic rather than a pickup that just reads the strings.

I use Fishman's Rare Earth Humbucker sound hole pickup on all my acoustics, the majority of which are vintage. I let the cord hand out the soundhole when I use them. Easy to put on and remove and no damage ever to the area its temporarily attached.

Plus, it keeps the acoustic guitar unaltered when not using it.

I use Fishman's Rare Earth Humbucker sound hole pickup on all my acoustics, the majority of which are vintage. I let the cord hand out the soundhole when I use them.

Back in the day we used to duck tape the pickup cords to the body of the guitar to keep them out of the way.

Archived