Gibson Brands Forums

Trying some new photography!

Flight959

Simon....

Excellent material...

Ditto those hot cars.

I'm off work a while, and I can tell you I most missed this summer's rodeo season.

This one is from a cupla years ago before I started staying off the arena floor 'cuz I wasn't so sure I could get free without putting others at risk. Some others have won some stuff, but this got my blood flowing as I tripped the shutter. This was just with an already worn out Nikon D70 and I think an even more worn out Tamron zoom.

The Miles City to Deadwood stage.... the same Nikon and a kit lens is all..

m

Some times it's interesting to let them pop in and out of focus:

411533967.jpg

Simon - this was taken with the 60mm EF-S macro lens on a 7D. The distance is probably a little close to be messing with bees so if you get a dedicated macro and want to stay with Canon I'd suggest one of the 100mm EF macro lenses. Plus a 100 EF will work on both of your cameras. Back when I was shooting film I had the 100mm FD macro and like the working distance better.

Some times it's interesting to let them pop in and out of focus:

Simon - this was taken with the 60mm EF-S macro lens on a 7D. The distance is probably a little close to be messing with bees so if you get a dedicated macro and want to stay with Canon I'd suggest one of the 100mm EF macro lenses. Plus a 100 EF will work on both of your cameras. Back when I was shooting film I had the 100mm FD macro and like the working distance better.

Flyingarmadillo...

Your image works great! [thumbup]

Working distance hasn't been an issue yet. My 24-105 with three extension tubes 13.21,31 brings me almost on top of the action. I have seen some stunning results with the 100mm Macro 2.8 lens and I guess if I bought that I would have both a great Macro and 100mm Prime. My eye however is firmly on the prize, the Canon MP-E 65mm dedicated macro lens. The results with that are truly in another world... Some shots with that on full magnification 5:1 the DOF is less than 1mm.... (oh I do like a challenge)..

Loving this close up stuff!

Thanks everyone!

Regards

Simon

Simon....

Excellent material...

Ditto those hot cars.

I'm off work a while, and I can tell you I most missed this summer's rodeo season.

This one is from a cupla years ago before I started staying off the arena floor 'cuz I wasn't so sure I could get free without putting others at risk. Some others have won some stuff, but this got my blood flowing as I tripped the shutter. This was just with an already worn out Nikon D70 and I think an even more worn out Tamron zoom.

The Miles City to Deadwood stage.... the same Nikon and a kit lens is all..

m

Milod,

I am pleased your on the mend!. You keep taking it easy! [thumbup]

We don't have exciting rodeo stuff around these parts. Rodeo looks great fun! Would love to capture that! There is so much stuff I would love to photograph across the pond. I have been there so many times and I don't seem to have time to scratch my a$$...

Regards

Simon

Flyingarmadillo...

Your image works great! [thumbup]

Working distance hasn't been an issue yet. My 24-105 with three extension tubes 13.21,31 brings me almost on top of the action. I have seen some stunning results with the 100mm Macro 2.8 lens and I guess if I bought that I would have both a great Macro and 100mm Prime. My eye however is firmly on the prize, the Canon MP-E 65mm dedicated macro lens. The results with that are truly in another world... Some shots with that on full magnification 5:1 the DOF is less than 1mm.... (oh I do like a challenge)..

Loving this close up stuff!

Thanks everyone!

Regards

Simon

It's a great lens, but I don't think I can justify it for the things that I shoot. Plus, I'm getting old enough that I'd opt for the Image Stabilzed 100mm IS L series - I need all the help I can get keeping things steady. And a lot of it is just knowing how to use what you have.

I took this a Canon Elph SD1400:

407215185.jpg

The colors on that fly are awesome. And the detail. The diffuse green background is great too. I'd crop it a bit more, give the central character a bit more of the frame, but not right in the middle, off to the right slightly....Re-framing can really change the composition of a photo, and it's easy. :)

Archived