Gibson Brands Forums

Quick and inexpensive restoration

btoth76

Hello!

This post is not about the detailed process of a guitar restoration. Instead, I'd like to show that it's not necessarily an expensive and difficult task to breathe new life into an old intstrument. Especially, if it's not good enough for spending big sums on it.

A friend of mine had the following guitar laying around in His apartment for 25 years. It's a very cheap Bulgarian-made acoustic guitar of brand "Orfeus". It was missing the bridge, pins and some tuning peg bushings. It's finish was worn, but the laminated mahogany back and top caught my attention.

After sanding the entire lacquer off with 180-grit paper, I have polished up the bare wood with papers from 400 to 2000-grit. Finished it off with rubbing in beewax and hand-polishing it to satin sheen.

HPIM5906_zpslkqwlxvs.jpg

I have made a new bridge from a piece of plexi I had in my tools cabinet. Also, I have carved new pins for it, as no pins I could find for sale fitted in it's bridge. These are enormously thick.

HPIM5911_zpso47qkvmc.jpg

I had to shave off 3-4 millimetres from the back of the neck, and reshape it to something that is called "asymmetric profile". It was sized for Neanderthals. A quick fret-levelling and dressing.

HPIM5912_zpswdvy6as1.jpg

I glued back the separated binding here and there, and found rivets in the local hardware store that worked out well as tuning peg bushings.

It wasn't difficult to do. Better than throwing out a negleted instrument. I am not saying it's a dream guitar, but it's playable. It doesn't buzzes, it's loud and sounds bright.

Basically, it was done with conventional tools, most people have around the household, except for a fret-dressing file.

Cheers... Bence

You do great work.

Update : my wife said she might enjoy doing a restoration with me. She loves using tools. I could be on to a new way to acquire instruments. 😀

Going to introduce her to the stew mac site.

Wow.. great job man [thumbup]

It certainly looks the business :)

Strangely enough im about to do a job like this on my nephews cheap classical guitar... At the moment it looks like any other cheap guitar with like orangy back and sides and a natural top.. Im gonna sand it down and paint the back and sides black and stain the front with a blue burst then give it a full set up....

Should be an interesting project..

Hello!

Thank You all for the comments. :)

Robert: Surprisingly, the tuning machines are functioning as they should. Tuning stability is perfect. I just cleaned the gears with a copper brush, and removed stains from the pegs with a 600-grit paper.

The scope of this project was to invest the minimal amount of money, since it is a very cheap instrument. It was done within the budget of $25, including strings. :)

Cheers... Bence

Hello!

The most expensive and difficult part is applying finish. The biggest saving during this rebuild was skipping it, and using wax instead of lacquer. To be honest, I really love the natural feel of it.

Cheers... Bence

Archived