Gibson Brands Forums

Small amp ideas

nikko18

Hey ya'll!

Been a LONG time since I posted anything or even been on the forum. Been doing life stuff. I see a few familiar

screennames and avatars though, so if anyone remembers me it's nice to be back!

I am soon going to be leaving the country for an extended period of time and I am planning to bring a guitar with me to

pass the time and maybe record some music if I can. I was initially planning to bring an acoustic guitar but I'm now thinking

about bringing an electric if I can figure out an amp to bring along. Now this idea might be totally out there and not that great

but I thought I'd see what ya'll though. I have limited space so even my blues junior I currently run through would be to big. I

need something that will fit in a large suitcase with room to spare. So my idea was to bring a nice small tube head (think Tiny

Terror or a Hughes and Kettner), and speaker with no cabinet.

What do you guys think? Would the lack of cabinet make it all sound like crap?

Thanks!

I have a vox ac4tv which is a tiny little tube combo. They have versions with different speaker sizes, and I believe mine has an 8" speaker and it has a very small cabinet. You could easily pack it in a suitcase with plenty of room for clothes and it's pretty dang loud and sounds great also. It's 4 watts but you can switch it down to 1 watt or 1/2 watt for lower volume

I like mine a lot, though it doesn't have the clean headroom of a bigger amp

I think the speaker probably wouldn't sound that good without a cab and would get damaged easily, but I've never tried it

Forget lugging an amplifier.

Pack along a nice guitar multi-effects processor (a multi-effect pedal, in essence), a short guitar cable, and a set of headphones.

Compact, versatile, and MUCH more useable (for your stated purposes) than a conventional amplifier.

AND, you won't make your neighbors mad with any noise.

Zoom makes a few good ones, as does Digitech.

Shoot, everybody makes a couple of good models.

Anyway.

I'm gonna shut up now.

:mellow:

think about the voltage used in an other country.....

I was thinking that too. How about a Vox Mini-3-G2. Runs for a long time, hours and hours (Vox says 10 hours and I believe it) on 6 AA batteries or the adapter could probably work fine with a travel voltage adapter; it has a headphone jack, speaker, multiple effects, multiple amp models (the boutique clean is pretty good).

My "go light" solution lately is this Digitech RP1000 - works great direct to a PA...

IMG_5094.jpg

[thumbup]

I really liked the sound my RP1000 produced. The Boss GT units are also nice. I would say GT-001, but playing guitar with headphones sux, IMO. And adding speakers to avoid headphones just bulks it back up again.

Yeah... screw an amp..

By a mini digital 4 track like the boss mirco BR... it records, has 100 effects, reverb and a drum machine (with loads of samples and styles)..

They are A LOT of fun [thumbup]

or as mentioned one of the Vox boxes or even the headphones.

Yeah... screw an amp..

By a mini digital 4 track like the boss mirco BR... it records, has 100 effects, reverb and a drum machine (with loads of samples and styles)..

They are A LOT of fun [thumbup]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lyCpTVnf7-8

or as mentioned one of the Vox boxes or even the headphones.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H6Y_7Ax34-g

If I were going to cave on the headphones, I would take my Zoom R24. That would be a completely stand-alone solution for playing and recording. Headphones are the work of Satan though ... ;)

I have really liked the Orange Micro Terror. I have the 8" cab that goes with it and think it sounds pretty darn cool.

Pedals sound great in front of it also. For $149 bucks I think it is more than worth the price! [thumbup]

339e3636-24df-4e41-bc2c-624521e093b3_zps433a7004.jpg

These little things are really cool too...

Wow.. those are cool.. never seen those before [thumbup] (good price at £99 too (or about $150) (actually I just looked, they are $99 (you guys always get it cheaper) [rolleyes] )

I'm another advocate of the Yamaha THR series. Unbelievable little amps that sound huge and are remarkably versatile. A quick play at a store reveals very little of the abilities you will discover when you play them at your leisure. 10 months on and I'm loving mine more and more.

I'm another advocate of the Yamaha THR series. Unbelievable little amps that sound huge and are remarkably versatile. A quick play at a store reveals very little of the abilities you will discover when you play them at your leisure. 10 months on and I'm loving mine more and more.

They even run on batteries if you need them to and can be a nice set of powered speakers for your MP3 player [thumbup]

Thanks for all the replies, guys!

I'd never heard of a lot of these and there's definitely some real cool stuff out there.

I'd like to be able to play for people on occasion so the pedals and pods are out, or else

that would definitely be the most space friendly option. I think I'll swing by ye old Guitar Center

and check out one of these Yamaha THR10s. Been doing some research on them since

you suggested them yesterday and it seems like exactly what I'm looking for. Something small,

but also sounds good and is versatile. I like the Orange amps a lot so I'll probably check out

a Micro Terror as well but honestly the Yamaha seems a lot more versatile. Also, it's battery powered

which takes care of that whole power problem. I hadn't even though of that! msp_ohmy.gif

Thanks for pointing that one out!

I guess, while I've got your attention. Any tips for bringing an electric guitar as carry on luggage?

Archived