Gibson Brands Forums

headphones

doug.J

Hi everyone My name is Doug and this is my first topic here

I have been looking for a pair of Headphones that I can plug in to the amps at night so the neighbours and "She who must be obeyed"will not complain"

I was looking on the net and see a Roland rh300 Does anyone have a pair of these I did have a pair of Technics but they must be over 15 years old now and the sponge inside

the earpiece has crumbled away and are heavy so so there gone, I do need new one can anyone tell me if there is a difference between a headphone for Guitar amps and a CD player and a MP3

and can anyone recommend a good headphone with really good clarity,

thank you all

Hello there Doug

How about those Vox headphones.. seems like a cool idea

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Vox-Amphones-Active-Guitar-Headphones/dp/B009703MEA?

Or theres Marshall ones too

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Marshall-MAJORMICBROWN-Major-Headphone/dp/B00G47JIEW/ref=sr_1_2?s=musical-instruments&ie=UTF8&qid=1437963547&sr=1-2&keywords=marshall+headphones

But if you want cheap and cheerful, I have been using headphones like these Sony DJ ones for years if I do any sound editing or am using my digital 4 track... they have always done the job for me [thumbup]

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sony-MDRV150-CE7-Monitoring-headphones-reversible/dp/B006SYJLES/ref=sr_1_2?s=musical-instruments&ie=UTF8&qid=1437963647&sr=1-2&keywords=sony+dj+headphones

Hello there Doug

How about those Vox headphones.. seems like a cool idea

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Vox-Amphones-Active-Guitar-Headphones/dp/B009703MEA?

Or theres Marshall ones too

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Marshall-MAJORMICBROWN-Major-Headphone/dp/B00G47JIEW/ref=sr_1_2?s=musical-instruments&ie=UTF8&qid=1437963547&sr=1-2&keywords=marshall+headphones

But if you want cheap and cheerful, I have been using headphones like these Sony DJ ones for years if I do any sound editing or am using my digital 4 track... they have always done the job for me [thumbup]

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sony-MDRV150-CE7-Monitoring-headphones-reversible/dp/B006SYJLES/ref=sr_1_2?s=musical-instruments&ie=UTF8&qid=1437963647&sr=1-2&keywords=sony+dj+headphones

Hi Rabs

I have a pair of the Vox lead head phones and you can use them as a amp headphone ok on the Yamaha as it is up high but the cable is to short really and to weak to use on a permanent solution I have one stereo amp the Yamaha and one Marshall mono

Thanks for you time Rabs if you think of any other head phones let me know thanks alot

Hey Doug- Welcome! You've come to a great forum!

You don't mention a budget, or max dollar (Euro?) to spend. It's a broad field in that event!

All the young folks seem to like the "Beats" by Dr. Dre. I guess cause I don't listen to "young" music, so they are not for me! [rolleyes]

Like you, I had old style H Ks and a pair of Audio Technica, both of which I loved. Both are gone now...heavy weight, and built well, but a cord-short, a broken mount, things go wrong after 20-30 years!

I really like my Sennheiser HD model, for around $150.00 it's very hard to beat in my opinion! Fact is there are a lot of good phones out there for decent prices. Best bet is to try as many out as you can. A place like Best Buy or perhaps a local audio-phile store is your friend in this regard. Make sure you are listening to what you intend to listen to when trying 'em out! Depending on the store, and the amount you want to spend, it wouldn't necessarily be out of the question to haul your amp in for a try out.

I asked for a "knock around" (that's spelled INEXPENSIVE) pair of phones from my wife a few years ago- something I didn't have to worry about if something happened to them. She brought home a pair of Auvios, apologizing all the while I was opening them up. She read somewhere that for under $100.00 they were a good "bang for your buck" set of phones. I just took them off about 30 minutes ago...I use them with my new Mustang III amp. Very nice for around $60.00 I believe. Comfortable and sound great. Are they HK, AKG, etc.? No- but for cheapies they're good.

Best wishes and again, welcome!

Brian

All the young folks seem to like the "Beats" by Dr. Dre. I guess cause I don't listen to "young" music, so they are not for me! [rolleyes]

To be straight, Beats are flat out bad. They emphasize the bass far too heavily and there isn't much else there. Advertising pays.

Budget is really important though, I currently use a pair of Beyerdynamic HD PRO 1s (200 usd), which replaced my accidentally destroyed Audio Technica ATH-M50s (150 usd at the time, new version should be roughly the same), that followed a pair of AKGs (the model of which I have forgotten). The Audio Technicas served me very well for a long time, and I am still quite fond of the Beyerdynamics.

Also what variety you're after is important, open, closed, semi? Over ear, on ear, in ear? Etc etc

These have been said to be some of the best you'll get under $100 (Currently ~50 usd on Amazon)

Sony MDRs are also generally a safe buy, used them often for a few years (this was a few years ago but I can't imagine the formula has changed much) and sit at a few pricepoints. These sit around the 100 usd mark

Sennheiser has a habit of making good headphones, and their products sit in a lot of ranges. For about 100 usd their HD 558s are pretty well regarded.

Sennheiser, Audio-Technica, Beyerdynamic, and AKG are usually pretty safe bets as far as headphones go.

Most if not all of these should come with a 3.5mm to 1/4" adapter, should get the job done for most amps (I've seen those with outputs for both)

Hello and welcome to the Forums.

When I bought my Zoom R24 recorder from Guitarguitar UK, I got a Numark HF 125 headphone with it.

It does the job perfectly, and it's inexpensive.

Cheers... Bence

Audio Technica ATH-M50s (150 usd at the time, new version should be roughly the same),

[thumbup] Audio Technica makes good phones. In fact for about $70 USD the Audio Technica ATH-M30 sounds quite good - flat and balanced. I've had a pair for over a year now and they have performed admirably given their price.

[thumbup] Audio Technica makes good phones. In fact for about $70 USD the Audio Technica ATH-M30 sounds quite good - flat and balanced. I've had a pair for over a year now and they have performed admirably given their price.

+1 on these. I have a pair and a pair of the ATH-M40 - either is a good choice but the 30s are $20 cheaper and sound just as good.

Archived