Gibson Brands Forums

Is there such a thing as a "no-bird 'bird"?

SC_Wannabe

I remember a few years ago reading the copy in a Musician's Friend catalog, billing the Hummingbird Artist as a "no-bird 'bird". But the body shape (and I'm assuming the bracing) is not the same as a Hummingbird, so it can't be a NBB.

Then there is the J-30 that is sometimes referred to as the "poor man's 'bird". If you look on youtube, you will see a coupel of people with a Hummingbird pickguard stuck to these. But it's long scale, so it's no NBB.

I can't remember the name, but there was a mid-60's square shoulder Gibson dread that looked to me like it could be a NBB, but I have no idea of what the bracing was like.

So is there a no-bird 'bird out there somewhere? Just pondering...

Very nice guitar! So I guess the CW is about the closest thing to a no-bird 'bird that there is? I was kind of hoping there was some overlooked poor man's 'bird out there somewhere, but maybe it's the real deal or nothing. Those CWs certainly don't go any cheaper than their Hummingbird counterparts.

Well, I see them used from time to time. I've actually had mine up for sale at a local shop (the 1.725 nut is wide for my hands) and if it hasn't sold yet (last I was told someone "bought" it but wasn't happy with the 'ring' around the 'D" tuning peg, an imperfection it had when I bought her) I'm pretty sure it could be had for around 2K. It's not Epiphone-cheap, but it's not in the 3K range either. If you are interested, I can check on it for you and let you know. I need to call anyhow and see if I have a check waiting for me or not.

Thanks for the offer, but I'm really not ready to buy right now. Jesse Dylan's big trade-in odyssey got me to thinking about selling off a couple of small body Martins for the funds to buy a J-50ADJ or a Hummingbird. If I do that I'd most likely choose a used 'Bird over a CW. If there was a poor man's 'Bird out there that could be had for the price of one used Martin though...

Thanks for the offer, but I'm really not ready to buy right now. Jesse Dylan's big trade-in odyssey got me to thinking about selling off a couple of small body Martins for the funds to buy a J-50ADJ or a Hummingbird. If I do that I'd most likely choose a used 'Bird over a CW. If there was a poor man's 'Bird out there that could be had for the price of one used Martin though...

Hey SC - I have two CWs, old and newer. I wouldn't let either of mine go. The newer one is a Sheryl Crow and it sure is nice. Just suggesting you really try to play one before you spring for a Hummingbird. Good hunting.

steve

A friend of mine had one of these about 10 years ago, a really nice guitar and it wasn't particularly expensive. A quick look at Google suggests the model was fairly quickly superceded by deluxe versions that were a lot less Bird like, but the originals were pretty close to a blingless Bird.

https://artisanguitars.com/2004-gibson-songwriter-sitka-spruce-and-mahogany-id-9006

I guess what I never directly said in this thread is that I was interested in a guitar that is shaped, braced, and sounds like a Hummingbird. Does the CW have 'Bird bracing? Does it sound like a 'Bird?

Thanks for everyone's input.

Dave

I remember a few years ago reading the copy in a Musician's Friend catalog, billing the Hummingbird Artist as a "no-bird 'bird". But the body shape (and I'm assuming the bracing) is not the same as a Hummingbird, so it can't be a NBB.

Then there is the J-30 that is sometimes referred to as the "poor man's 'bird". If you look on youtube, you will see a coupel of people with a Hummingbird pickguard stuck to these. But it's long scale, so it's no NBB.

I can't remember the name, but there was a mid-60's square shoulder Gibson dread that looked to me like it could be a NBB, but I have no idea of what the bracing was like.

So is there a no-bird 'bird out there somewhere? Just pondering...

Seems like I played one at GC a while back, Hummingbird Pro? Nice guitar, no bling. Own a Hummingbird Limited Amberburst/Rosewood now...thanks honey!!!

Thanks Sal - that's good to know. If I ever do decide to pull the trigger, I'll keep my eye out for a used SCCW.

Badger - your limited Hummingbird sounds like a very fine guitar. I'm pretty sure the Hummingbird Pro is the same body shape as the Artist, so it's only a 'bird in name only.

Now what I'm wondering is how the Hummingbird bracing has changed since the inception. Does anyone know of any websites that document this?

CW is short scale, so are some Birds, but some are long scale. The Bird pro has a smaller non-bird pickguard.

I traded in a CW for a Bird many moons ago. The Bird was a much better guitar, the CW was tooquiet.

el capitan - Do you mean your CW was much too quiet for your liking, ... maybe? I have two and both are louder and a bit brighter than my Hummingbirds. They're all Gibsons; they are individuals. I started to make the point to the OPer about my CWs (particularly the sig. model) being louder and brighter guitars than the Hummingbird, but it seemed more important to suggest just trying one out sometime. Anyway and defending the CW models, "The Bird was a much better guitar" I don't think so.

steve

Yes...There's a Hummingbird artist and I have one.I removed the original pickguard and replaced it with Hummingbird one which fit perfectly.

20150124_161517.jpg

upload pic

It also came with LR.BAGGS pickup.

20150124_161717.jpg

how to capture screen

It has the same body size as Songwriter but this one came with short scale and wider nut (24.5" scale length/1.725" nut).I don't know what a real Hummingbird sounds like but I love my "little bird".As being short scale.I can put '13 on it and feel like '12.This model has been discontinued but you might be able to find one used for around $1,500 (+/-$200 depend on condition).

20150124_161613.jpg

image hosting

I have owned both a 2007 Hummingbird and a 2003 Sheryl Crow CW. In my case, I found the '07 Bird much quieter and stiffer than the SCCW, which has a warmer tone than my Martin M36 if a tad quieter.

My experience tells me it's a guitar by guitar issue. For I have played Birds that were louder than my '07. Louder isn't necessarily better, either. Unless you're playing with a bunch of maniacs who all strum furiously over each other.

In any event, as Sal has pointed out, the Bird is the CW with a different pg.

If you're feeling unsure about all this then you need to play the guitar before you buy it. No mail-order for you!

I was going to mention the CW, too, or the SCCW, or any CW that is square-shouldered and short-scale and definitely the same as a Hummingbird. They are just Hummingbirds without the pickguard or finish.

In my experience, the Hummingbird Pros, and I think also the Hummingbird Artists??, have slightly different body shapes than the Hummingbirds. The CW is identical.

Soundwise, they all vary. Even though the CW is a Hummingbird without the finish, they seem to sound a little more lively. Lack of finish? I doubt it makes a huge difference, and maybe it really is just on a case-by-case basis and I'm blaming the finish, but I swear, natural guitars always sound a little more lively than the same guitar with a colored finish. I think the color adds a few coats. Or, maybe the CW uses celluloid pickguard, and maybe the rubbery kind of guard on the Hummingbird does dampen the sound as some suspect. It is a very, very subtle tonal difference, and I don't know if we can really say for sure what causes it. They sound close enough, though, as they should.

In the long run, in shouldn't matter, so I'd say choose which look you prefer. I know, you were looking for a poor man's, though.

There is a really good 2016 Standard at Music Villa calling your name. :) Maybe you could make a pilgrimage too!

Archived