Gibson Brands Forums

1934 Jumbo Reissue

jw3571

how do these guitars fit in the Gibson lineup. Especially compared to an Advanced Jumbo. It looks like the OJ's have an Adirondack top and hide glue but what else is different. How would the tone compare to an AJ? Anything else I should know about these, i'll never be able to play one in my area and would have to buy one that i haven't played. I currently have a Martin D28 A 1937, Santa Cruz D/PW, and a Santa Cruz D12. Would this guitar fit in with this group or would there be overlap?

Apologies for not posting earlier; was going to include some photos in the reply, but toil at the Salt Mine had me waylaid. I believe a few forum members may have OJ's, Mssrs Phelonius Ponk, and possibly Rambler (?) as well. Only good things to say about those guitars. In checking out the specs at the official G site, it is described as having a V neck, and a 25" scale length. Was that the length on your Santa Cruz? To get the full G-hog slope experience, one might first consider a short scale (?).

I own both, an OJ and and AJ. Both from the 2013 Limited Edition ( 100 OJ's; 35 AJ's), they are both done with 100% HHG, Adirondack tops and copied from Burnette's collection. I have several Gibson, Montana and also vintage from the 30's. These Ltd. Edition guitars are stellar examples from Montana.

The difference are the back and sides woods, OJ Mahogany, AJ Rosewood, the body shape is very different as is the neck shape and scale length. The sound is different between these two as expected. Looking at your collection, your are pretty much covered with RW and long scale. I think the OJ would be more different. However, I am very familiar with the Martin D 28A and I used to own a SCGC Vintage Artist, they are different compared to the AJ. As much as I appreciate the Martin D's, I never held on to them since I am really more into the Gibson tone. I do own a Martin 000 Authentic.

The OJ is a unique and great guitar. Currently my most played acoustic guitar. I highly recommend trying them out, they are great for both fingerpicking and flat picking. I really like the body shape, even they are big they are quite comfy to hold. The body is different tapered not like the AJ or Martin D's.

On the other hand, seems like you are into the Martin D type guitars and I also recommend to check out the AJ.

Hey you might switch to Gibson, I did [biggrin]

Thanks for the replies. Are these actually numbered or do we just know there were 100 examples and they aren't numbered? I had an AJ that was great but I ended selling it to find one of the Santa Cruz's. To those that have both the AJ and OJ, how does the tone compare?

Red Line case with purple lining.

Mmm, nice case. The Gibson specs page on the OJ listed it with pink lining. Something an interested party would want to know beforehand. Here's a link to the Cedar Creek Redline case forum member Lars said (on a UMGF posting) he got for his old J-45: http://images.yuku.com/image/pjpeg/39e15bce09cae9e288fa8a4ad428db9fb3aa301.jpg

Might add that while the AJ is a long scale Rosewood model, they produce a tone which is different from a (H)D28. Its a big note, fat, clear and balanced, but not a booming bass and not a lot of resonance. IMO an OJ would have more high end color and sparkle than an AJ. Maybe even a little more resonance in the low end, just not as loud. While you can play anything on anything, OJs might be more geared for solo pickers, blues and old timey music. Maybe too much bark for a singer-songwriter, though I say the same of an AJ (tho our friend Jinder liked his well enough). AJs seemed more fit for a band contect. Great for leads.

Mmm, nice case. The Gibson specs page on the OJ listed it with pink lining. Something an interested party would want to know beforehand. Here's a link to the Cedar Creek Redline case forum member Lars said (on a UMGF posting) he got for his old J-45: http://images.yuku.com/image/pjpeg/39e15bce09cae9e288fa8a4ad428db9fb3aa301.jpg

Yep, that's the case. Don't ever trust the Gibson page. Way too many mistakes, I received the working specs for both Ltd Edition guitars from the guys at Montana. Both guitars a built with HHG, which is also not stated at the Gibson webpage. Gibson for sure is not good at marketing, they could learn from Martin how to do it better. A good way to get correct information is to get in contact with Don Ruffato in Bozeman, he is a class act and always helpful.

BTW, I like Rambler's description.

What's a fair price for a new one of these as well as used pricing?

New, I think around $ 4500. Used depends on the condition. But I would play them before buying. I played a few and they are different.

I tend to like powerhouse dreads, would this disappoint?

I don't know what kind of music you play. If you a Bluegrass guy, the OJ maybe not for you. But the AJ would be down your alley, but different compared to your SCGC and Martin's. I love the OJ and it's for sure a powerful guitar just a different animal. I play Blues, Roots music, Ragtime stuff and the OJ is great for that. The OJ really is great for Fingerpicking, I love the wider string spacing on the OJ.

I think Rambler did a great job with this quote:

"OJs might be more geared for solo pickers, blues and old timey music. Maybe too much bark for a singer-songwriter, though I say the same of an AJ (tho our friend Jinder liked his well enough). AJs seemed more fit for a band contect. Great for leads."

I really love 'em both very much, they are different to each other. I had a Custom Shop AJ for years, Adi Top, HHG on bracing and neck joint, it was a great guitar. But my 2013, 1935 Limited Edition AJ is really a special guitar. I don't know if I could help you enough, but it is hard not knowing you and what you are looking for exactly. Sounds like you are Martin D guy, but I wouldn't hurt trying something different. I think the safer way for you would be the AJ, I guess.

At the very least, get over to youtube and listen to examples. And try to find one by a players who is down at your end of the alley. By no means the same as handling one in person, but aaat least it gives you an idea. Given your lack of expereince with Gibsons, I cant help but think that having something delviered would not be a good idea, unless you are buyng from a place with a guarenteed return policy and can absord shipping costs etc. "spuse you could order both and really give a trial, although that kind of thing can quickly add up.

The one's from the '94 collection are made to the '34 specs and can be found in the 1800-2300 range and usually in mint condition. They only made a 100 of them.

http://web.archive.org/web/20040816181144/http://www.gibson.com/acoustics/1994/1934_Jumbo.html

They've made a few limited runs of 100 of this model.

The ones from a few years ago are usually in the 2500-3000 range

Here's my '34 Jumbo from the '94 collection. You can always replace the pick guard.

IMG_0639_zpse71bd84e.jpg

The one's from the '94 collection are made to the '34 specs and can be found in the 1800-2300 range and usually in mint condition. They only made a 100 of them.

http://web.archive.o...1934_Jumbo.html

Here's my '34 Jumbo from the '94 collection. You can always replace the pick guard.

IMG_0639_zpse71bd84e.jpg

IIRC those Centennial Jumbos were long scale (?)

I have a rosewood J-45 "Deluxe" from 94 (technically Jan.3 1995, but it even has the Centennial case) that has the same bela voce style inlays (other differences are abalone rosette/top purfling & "Only a Gibson is Good Enough" on the headstock).

fc1b8e64-3272-4911-8e9a-edcbdb97ae4e_zps9806c484.jpg

http://web.archive.org/web/20040816181144/http://www.gibson.com/acoustics/1994/1934_Jumbo.html

IMG_0639_zpse71bd84e.jpg

I always loved this custom Jumbo from 1934, I wished Gruhn and Carter would have used a much bigger picture in their book.

BTW, I would never replace the pickguard. Looks like this Special Collection guitar was an "inspired by a 1934 Custom Jumbo". They used different fingerboard inlay, black instead of tortoise pickguard and long-scale. Very nice looking instrument.

How does it sound, what's the neck shape?

I always loved this custom Jumbo from 1934, I wished Gruhn and Carter would have used a much bigger picture in their book.

BTW, I would never replace the pickguard. Looks like this Special Collection guitar was an "inspired by a 1934 Custom Jumbo". They used different fingerboard inlay, black instead of tortoise pickguard and long-scale. Very nice looking instrument.

How does it sound, what's the neck shape?

The neck shape feels identical to the 1932 L-00 RI which is described as a 1930's "V". The L-00 also has the 25" scale.

The guitar sounds great. Closer to an AJ sound than a Martin D.

The neck shape feels identical to the 1932 L-00 RI which is described as a 1930's "V". The L-00 also has the 25" scale.

The guitar sounds great. Closer to an AJ sound than a Martin D.

Thanks for the reply, sounds like similar neck shape to my 1934 OJ Ltd Edition. It's a good thing that it sounds closer to the AJ.

Is the scale length identical to your L-00? If yes, I would consider this short scale. I have a Nick Lucas from 1992 which has the long scale 25.4.

Archived